Wiki Posts
Search

Kip Slams Registered Traveler Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Kip Slams Registered Traveler Program

"A program that offers airline passengers a quick trip through security is considered a low priority because it doesn't do enough to protect against terrorism, the head of the Transportation Security Administration told Congress on Tuesday."

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...traveler_N.htm
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:01 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
For once I have to agree with Comrade Hawley on this Program. This Registered Traveler Program is all about money and not security, and the American traveling public is being conned that it is not.

Shame on you Congress for supporting it in it's current form!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
The $cam of Registered Traveler

http://www.btnonline.com/businesstra..._id=1003612921

Very interesting Op Ed piece, 7/23/07 Business Travel News, from Kevin Mitchell, an adviser to RT service providers.
. . .
“Way down on TSA's list of reasons to develop Registered Traveler was greater convenience for travelers. At the top was prevention of suicide bombers targeting unsecured airport areas overflowing with travelers.
. . .
At LAX Terminal 1, on almost a daily basis, lines stretch outside along the curb. This is what keeps airport security directors up at night. The sobering reality is that the top threats to the aviation system are man-portable air-defense systems and attacks on congested, unsecured airport areas such as security checkpoints and cargo. The mission for RT is not to enhance security vis-à-vis airplane hijacking (largely already accomplished), or to help the traveler, but to expeditiously move vulnerable passengers into secure areas by making scarce airport space and TSA screeners far more productive.
. . .
RT can produce upwards of a 300 percent throughput improvement for RT lanes over regular security lines moving all passengers away from unsecured areas more quickly.”
. . .

It's all for TSA's Convenience, not Yours. Bend over while taking out your wallet.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
For once I have to agree with Comrade Hawley on this Program. This Registered Traveler Program is all about money and not security, and the American traveling public is being conned that it is not.

Shame on you Congress for supporting it in it's current form!

Agreed on both counts! (I agree it's a bad idea, and I agree I've before agreed with Hawley)

Besides the fact it doesn't work, the programme would create two classes of passengers -- what next, pay extra for your driving licence and you can jump to the front of the queue?
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by polonius
Besides the fact it doesn't work, the programme would create two classes of passengers -- what next, pay extra for your driving licence and you can jump to the front of the queue?
Sounds good to me.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
It's all for TSA's Convenience, not Yours. Bend over while taking out your wallet.
I've been saying all along that many TSA policies are about administrative convenience, NOT customer service. They're from the Government - they're here to help you.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I've been saying all along that many TSA policies are about administrative convenience, NOT customer service. They're from the Government - they're here to help you.
Hey that's my line.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:17 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by mmartin4600
Hey that's my line.
And a fine line it is, too...
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Is the TSA a separtate organization under Homeland Security or is it administrated by FEMA? Vertical communications through these organizations appear to be non-existent. This comment may sum it up:

Rep. Dan Lungren, R-Calif., chastised Hawley for not making the program a priority. "Man, we moved faster from the beaches of Omaha … to Berlin" than the TSA has in reviewing Registered Traveler, he said.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:33 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
...and believe it or not, i also actually agree with the nobel prize winning inventor of the kip-lock baggie on this one .

it's a waste of time and money and doesn't improve s'curity at all-just allows those willing to throw away $100.00 a shorter line at the airport (and i'll bet 5 hockey pucks that the screeners are not looking as clearly at these pax based on the fact that they are part of "the program" and since they are, they must be safe, right? ).

lot's of good "clear" and "registered traveller" bashing going on over here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716149 (clear comes to den) and here as well http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715038 (clear coems to atl)
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by coxta
Is the TSA a separtate organization under Homeland Security or is it administrated by FEMA? Vertical communications through these organizations appear to be non-existent. This comment may sum it up:
TSA is a seperate organization. Here is the DHS Organizational Chart.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:35 am

TSA is a seperate organization. Here is the DHS Organizational Chart.
I know it is. I was being facitious. Fema is under DHS. I was hinting that perhaps TSA was under FEMA and perhaps that could be an explanation for it's style of operation. ;-)
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:49 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I got my refund from this system months ago, especially since the 2 main airports I fly out of have AA Elite Lines (MIA and SJU, unlike MCO, my old home). The only reason I got the card in the first place, is to avoid lines, and the initial promise of No Secondary/No shoe carnival. Once those were broken, I made the necessary phone calls and got a refund.

Funny thing though. Even though I got a refund, my card still works as I tried it about 2 weeks ago at MCO, and I will try it again on Friday.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by coxta
I know it is. I was being facitious. Fema is under DHS. I was hinting that perhaps TSA was under FEMA and perhaps that could be an explanation for it's style of operation. ;-)
Sorry, I couldn't hear the sarcasm.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:41 pm

Sorry, I couldn't hear the sarcasm.
I apologize. Subtlety has no place in security. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.