Three laptops in the carry on

Old Jul 31, 07, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Three laptops in the carry on

Hi,

My friend is going from JFK to LHR and bringing back some laptops to the UK. Is it possible for him to carry 3 laptops through security - provided he takes them all out of the case, places them on the security belt, etc?

Any policy against carrying 3 laptops?

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 07, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post
My friend is going from JFK to LHR and bringing back some laptops to the UK. Is it possible for him to carry 3 laptops through security - provided he takes them all out of the case, places them on the security belt, etc?
Shouldn't be a problem - but he needs to check whether he has to declare them for customs purposes or anything like that. They don't look kindly on those naughty laptop smugglers!

My carryon all too often contains a laptop, a digital SLR, multiple lenses, a portable inkjet printer and a wireless router. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get a week's clothes in there too.
Old Jul 31, 07, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM, HH Diamond
I've done two laptops with no problem (I don't think anyone noticed), just make sure you still have all three when you leave the checkpoint.
Old Jul 31, 07, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
I've done two, had a DL flight cancelled & was pawned off first to AA (I protested) and then to NW, got SSSS'd. TSO grabbed the tray and ran off with them while I was still being groped & was yelling to keep my computers in sight.

The shoulder bag gets rather heavy & uncomfortable with two. I wouldn't want to carry three, but I see no obstacle as far as security is concerned.
Old Jul 31, 07, 9:08 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I've carried two before... I ended up moving them into a backpack to make them easier to carry.
Old Aug 1, 07, 8:32 am
Original Poster

One he has for work and two he's buying in the US and bringing back to the UK. I am just concerned with the TSA. UK customs he's going to take chances with but because the UK is his final destination, if the customs doesn't hassle him he's in the clear.
Old Aug 1, 07, 9:14 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Shouldn't be a problem. I saw someone go through BWI security with three recently. One was brand new in a sealed box, and the TSA folks made him open the box, disgorge the computer (along with packing material), install the battery, and send it through the X-Ray in it's own individual bin. With a separate bin for all the accessories. And the empty box on its own.
Old Aug 1, 07, 9:18 am

I've taken at least two laptops through security btwn the US and Europe many times - they dont seem to care as long as you comply with the usual request to remove the laptop from the carry on and placing it in it's own bin.

In this kind of situation I am far more worried about getting slapped with a tax on arrival in Europe than I am with having issues with TSA.
Old Aug 1, 07, 11:01 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I've taken two without a problem. As far as security is concerned, its
not a big issue. Customs is a different ball game.
Old Aug 1, 07, 12:20 pm

The real question is - does three laptops mean your carryon is too heavy??
Old Aug 1, 07, 12:33 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Green Dragon View Post
The real question is - does three laptops mean your carryon is too heavy??
Shhhhhh! airline does not need to know that
Old Aug 2, 07, 1:52 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, AS MVPG, MR Plat, Hertz 5*
I have three laptops with me every time I fly. They go in a roller-style briefcase that fits under the seat on every mainline aircraft type I've ever flown in on United (50,000+ miles last year and 38,000+ so far this year). On UX it fits in the overheads. Mostly fly US domestic but also one r/t each year to Canada and Australia, never a problem in any location.

I'm quicker getting the three laptops in their separate bins and all queued up ready to xray than most people are just taking off their darn shoes. Only thing I ever get from TSA is wisecracks about how busy I must be or something along those lines. I do everything quickly and efficiently and I can't remember the last time I had a secondary or even an ETD swab.

Last edited by omahajim; Aug 2, 07 at 1:59 am
Old Aug 2, 07, 12:11 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
Shouldn't be a problem. I saw someone go through BWI security with three recently. One was brand new in a sealed box, and the TSA folks made him open the box, disgorge the computer (along with packing material), install the battery, and send it through the X-Ray in it's own individual bin. With a separate bin for all the accessories. And the empty box on its own.
WTH?!?! If it's a brand new-in-the-box laptop, what would installing a discharged battery accomplish? I don't care what MrsJ says, when we go to DC to visit for Christmas, we're not flying through BWI!

Search this Thread