Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Children ask the most insightful questions "what if somebody steals your shoes?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Children ask the most insightful questions "what if somebody steals your shoes?"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.

I was talking to a neighbor the other day who was about to embark on a trip with her two, plus three other children and was quite concerned about going through security with the entire flock of them.

Her daughter who just turned four then asked a damn good question.

"what if somebody steals your shoes?" apprently her "outside shoes" went missing this pre-school year and she was quite concerned. They had Dora the Explorer on them and her mom can't find another pair in her size.

Which actually seems like a perfectly valid question... what does happen if another passenger or screener helps themselves to your shoes in the confusion? I know someone who had their phone taken from the end of the xray table while a TSA thug was feeling her up.

Are there loaner shoes on hand?

Do your travel barefoot?

I have to imagine this has happened at some point.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:41 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Anyone trying to put on your shoes by mistake will probably notice that they feel different. Anyone trying to take your shoes with intent probably needs them more than you...

What do you do?
(1) Borrow some slippers and hope that your travels will take you past a shoe shop.
(2) Thank your lucky stars that they took your shoes when you were packing your laptop, rather than taking your laptop when you were putting on your shoes.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jib71
Anyone trying to put on your shoes by mistake will probably notice that they feel different. Anyone trying to take your shoes with intent probably needs them more than you...

What do you do?
(1) Borrow some slippers and hope that your travels will take you past a shoe shop.
(2) Thank your lucky stars that they took your shoes when you were packing your laptop, rather than taking your laptop when you were putting on your shoes.
^ ^ ^ ROTFL ^ ^ ^
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I had to go by the lost and found at SeaTac one time after I left something at screening. They had one whole wall full of shelves of shoes people had left. So I guess you could go there and see if a pair fits you. Of course, the question then becomes how could someone forget to put their shoes back on after going through security?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Ah not to worry no one would want mine
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:35 am

There's a shoe store in Concourse D at ATL so if it happened to you there you'd be set.

Also, there are some Johnston & Murphy stores at various airport locations. Overpriced and not terribly good shoes (any more) but another option.

Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
all I know is that if a child of four thinks the shoe removal is insane, there is hope for the future.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
+23 years

Originally Posted by 601
all I know is that if a child of four thinks the shoe removal is insane, there is hope for the future.
By age six she will be Conditioned to be a Good Little "Homeland Jugend" Soldier in the Neverending Waw Against Tewwow. She will Respect Authorita Figures, like all Grownups with Badges. Soon TSA will have Badges. She will know these people are in the Direct Chain of Command from Big Brother. And Obey like a good little sheeple. She will always have a good supply of plastic sheeting and duct tape for the Good of National Security.

How sad for her future.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
Seriously. Christian Louboutin shoes cost anywhere from 500.00 to 1500.00 a pair and are easily identifiable by their red soles. Easy targets for stealing.

But this is also the reason why I don't travel with any of my designer items... why would I want to announce to everyone that a) I am a tourist and b) I am wealthy?

Good luck to the person who steals my husband's athletes-feet infected shoes. lol. joke's on them!
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:09 pm

Well, on the bright side, you won't have to bother removing your shoes if you have to go through security again...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
...how could someone forget to put their shoes back on after going through security?
I've seen piles of walkers and crutches at baggage claim. There may have even been a wheelchair in there...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:12 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I've seen piles of walkers and crutches at baggage claim. There may have even been a wheelchair in there...
They're left over from all those people who are miraculously healed after they get to pre-board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.