Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on to the U.K.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P
Carry-on to the U.K.

Yes I looked on the CO website about this but just want to confirm what I inferred is what is reality.

Outbound in Y EWR - Gatwick
normal carry-on, ie one 9x14x22" rollerboard + carrying one suit in a plastic sleeve.

Return in Y Birmingham (BHX) EWR
1 bag with nothing else. So I'd have to stick the stuit in my carry-on and then check it in and carry-on my laptop.

Note, I plan on carrying my laptop in my suitcase on the way there and hand carry the suit. On the return with the 1 bag and nothing else, there won't be room for both my laptop and suit in my suitcase unless I really jam it in there (not preferred) or expand my suitcase to 11x14x22" as I pass through security at BHX and then take the suit out to carry-on and re-collapse the suitcase.

I know these questions have been asked before but with the recent incidents, I just want to make sure nothing has changed.

And last question, anyone know how bad/long the security is at BHX?

thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Wouldn't wearing the suit (at least the jacket) through security be an option?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by 12172003
Yes I looked on the CO website about this but just want to confirm what I inferred is what is reality.

Outbound in Y EWR - Gatwick
normal carry-on, ie one 9x14x22" rollerboard + carrying one suit in a plastic sleeve.

Return in Y Birmingham (BHX) EWR
1 bag with nothing else. So I'd have to stick the stuit in my carry-on and then check it in and carry-on my laptop.

Note, I plan on carrying my laptop in my suitcase on the way there and hand carry the suit. On the return with the 1 bag and nothing else, there won't be room for both my laptop and suit in my suitcase unless I really jam it in there (not preferred) or expand my suitcase to 11x14x22" as I pass through security at BHX and then take the suit out to carry-on and re-collapse the suitcase.

I know these questions have been asked before but with the recent incidents, I just want to make sure nothing has changed.

And last question, anyone know how bad/long the security is at BHX?

thanks.

One bag in AND out of UK. That's it.

BHX - flew out of there in feb. Pretty bad. I had an early morning flight.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Emma65
Since when? Can you quote a source for that? I have seen no other reports of this restriction into the UK from the US.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Since when? Can you quote a source for that? I have seen no other reports of this restriction into the UK from the US.

Continental's website

Got that one wrong. Hang on - ill get the right one soon.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Wouldn't wearing the suit (at least the jacket) through security be an option?
Didn't think of that. I never wear suits obviously. One reason I became an engineer. That alone might be good enough to do it. The pants will survive in the suitcase. Once through security, I can just put the jacket on a hanger.

Thanks to everyone else too for the info. I should be able to squeak by saving me a lot of time. Thanks again.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Correct.

Last week on UA from ORD - 1 fold-over garment bag, 1 knapsack and 1 bag of Duty Free items purchased at ORD.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Correct.

Last week on UA from ORD - 1 fold-over garment bag, 1 knapsack and 1 bag of Duty Free items purchased at ORD.
When I flew in feb it was announced that hand luggage back to UK was restricted to one item only.

Your duty free was bought at the airport so it would be allowed and doesn't count as hand luggage.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:03 pm

Found this on DFT website

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo...irportsecurity

Seems in to UK (from country outside EU) local regulations apply.

Hmm... I'm sure I've even seen it here on FT that people have been told one bag only in to UK.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:21 pm

Hmm... I'm sure I've even seen it here on FT that people have been told one bag only in to UK.
The check-in staff and GAs usually remind you to restrict yourself to one piece of carry-on only on flights to the UK if you are transferring in the UK to another flight as you will have to go through another security check there where this utter nonsense will be strictly enforced. If you just fly into the UK and leave the airport after arrival you will be fine with the US 1+1 rule (plus duty free)
Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:44 pm

It's one bag when you pass through security for ALL flights from a UK airport. So if you are starting in the UK or connecting through the UK it's one bag as you always have to pass through secuirty before getting on any flight form the UK.

However one bag is a container 56x45x25cm (55x40x20 at STN) and can be a large plastic bag into which you dump everything as you go through security

You can also put small items like ipods in your coat before it goes through the X-Ray machines
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:28 am

BHX - flew out of there in feb. Pretty bad. I had an early morning flight.
just went out of there last Thu (2pm flight), wait time at security was around 2 minutes. VERY nice. I did get wanded for a random alert but it was much more pleasant and friendly than the routine wanding done at German airports.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:58 am

Security at BHX is a lot quicker to get through than at any of the london airports. I find that flying from BHX is a convinient and pleasent experience, & the Continental flight to Newark is a very good service.

Have a good trip
Old Jul 7, 2007, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Flying from EWR to London Gatwick was just like the standard US rules....1 bag + 1 "personal" bag. I had carry on only and by the time I walked off the plane and got through security it was a total of about 20 minutes. Nice and very quick....other than the a winding security line past someone who puked.

leaving BHX was even quicker. No security line at all. Took seconds at all. The setup for the CO flight to EWR didn't seem like they could even enforce a 1 carry-on only rule. I didn't have to test it though.

thanks for all the info.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:36 pm

I flew UA SFO to LHR on 7/4 and had one carry-on and one "personal item", just like usual US domestic rules. Will be checking the carry-on on the way back and hoping they don't lose/steal my stuff.

Does anyone know if TSA-approved locks are allowed when checking bags at LHR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.