Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No empty bottles at ATH?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:17 am
Original Poster

No empty bottles at ATH?

Coming through security recently at ATH I was told (politely, I admit) by a security person that I couldn't bring my .5 mineral bottle through the check point. I explained that the bottle was empty (I hoped to fill it up at a water faucet after clearing security) and was told that I still couldn't bring it through. I took the cap off the bottle, turned it upside down, and shook it to demonstrate its vacuity, and was told I still couldn't bring it through.

I didn't have time to ask for an explanation of why empty water bottles were prohibited. Can anything here think of one?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
That's when you say "Okay, I'm going to go put it with my checked baggage", leave the line, and go to another checkpoint.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Timfid
I didn't have time to ask for an explanation of why empty water bottles were prohibited. Can anything here think of one?
It's KipLogic©.
1 X .5(liter ?) empty bottle = bad, 5 x 100ml full bottles (in baggie) = OK.

It's for your safety, Citizen.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Gold
Has anyone had problems with Camelbak-type bags (empty) as caryons? I'm trying out a new backpack in a couple of days that includes a standard Camelbak-style refillable bladder/drinking tube in one compartment, but otherwise looks like a normal (useful) laptop backpack.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by frink
Has anyone had problems with Camelbak-type bags (empty) as caryons? I'm trying out a new backpack in a couple of days that includes a standard Camelbak-style refillable bladder/drinking tube in one compartment, but otherwise looks like a normal (useful) laptop backpack.
I had a problem with a travel mug with lid once (it was empty and hanging from my laptop bag and they told me it was the lid that made it unacceptable so I put the lid inside my case.) No problem with my collapsible water bottle but no problem with empty regular bottles either (except it was questioned once and allowed in early September 06). Hot water bottles (for my back muscles) get through fine too.

My guess is that they won't see the camelbak on the x-ray (it is not bottle shaped and an integral part of the backpack) so it won't be a problem at all.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:56 pm

Timfid, I can't believe your naivete! That AIR in the empty bottle was just chock FULL of humidity, I betcha! LIQUID!!! Aren't you ashamed? Run right back and give that tireless, yet eagle-eyed worker a big ol' hug! (And then watch what happens...)
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
You can't ban bringing "nothing" through the checkpoint.

Yet.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Timfid
An empty bottle could be used to mix up all of those explosive ingredients. I kid you not, that's the explanation. Delightful what people with nothing to do can think up, isn't it?

Mike
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:07 pm

It sounds similar to when vendors at airports would allow customers to purchase bottles with beverages in them, but keep the cap "for security purposes."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.