Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How To Get Off Of A Grounded Plane: Pick Up Your Camera and Start Filming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How To Get Off Of A Grounded Plane: Pick Up Your Camera and Start Filming

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Smile How To Get Off Of A Grounded Plane: Pick Up Your Camera and Start Filming

An upside to security madness:

For nearly four hours last Thursday night, Flight 5637, a 50-seat regional jet, was stuck on the ground by bad weather at Kennedy International Airport. The air-conditioning wasn’t working, and no one seemed to have a clue about when the plane would take off.

I wish I could say I was writing about this because the situation was unusual. Or that it was as bad as air travel can get. But I can’t.

What was unusual was that one passenger on the flight, David Ollila, runs a company that makes video cameras the size of a roll of quarters for mountain bikers, skiers and other amateur athletes to attach to their helmets and capture their thrills. And Mr. Ollila had one of those little cameras with him.

He marched up to the plane’s front, stood a few feet from the open cockpit door and interviewed the captain, demanding to know why something wasn’t being done to get the passengers off the plane.

He got a few replies on camera. Then the police arrived. The passengers all filed off. The flight was canceled. Mr. Ollila said he was questioned inside the airport by the Port Authority police and a Transportation Security Administration officer. After a background check, “they determined I was not a threat,” he said.

He was released without charge.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/26/bu...erland&emc=rss
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:52 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Hmm...maybe time to buy one of those cheap Aptek video cameras from Target or something...
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:45 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed

Last edited by RoyalFlush; Mar 31, 2009 at 3:17 pm
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:55 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I like this part:

The police and the T.S.A. official who questioned him were “terrific," he said. Afterward, “they all wanted me to give them a demonstration of the camera," said Mr. Ollila, who knows a marketing opportunity when he sees one. (To see it, go to www.vio-pov.com. The company’s main Web site is www.viosport.com)
That guy was wonderful: He kept his cool and knew how to make things this is advantage.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:04 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Bravo! What a brave citizen!! << {My 8,000th post!}

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 27, 2007 at 2:12 am
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:14 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Hey, check out the bottom of the story:

Airline chaos is the travel story of this year. I’ve written in the past about the efforts of a real estate agent from the San Francisco area, Kate Hanni, who got so motivated after being stranded for eight hours on a plane with overflowing toilets that she now works full-time lobbying for federal legislation to address passengers’ rights.

Her group has a Web site, www.strandedpassengers.blogspot.com. She has also set up a toll-free hotline — (877) 359-3776 — for passengers to phone in their complaints.

The complaints are pouring in. But she says she was most amused by a message from a woman who described herself as a flight attendant and who “seemed to take the airlines’ attitude that everything is somehow the fault of the passengers.”

Here is the message:

“I’m a flight attendant, and I just wanted to suggest that passengers not eat and drink while they’re sitting on the tarmac because then this lavatory issue comes up. Nobody’s going to be hurt by not eating or drinking for a few hours. They should take the sips of water the flight attendants offer and do their part. It’s the passengers’ duty to be practical. Why eat and drink and worry about having to go to the bathroom?”
Grrrr .....
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:24 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by essxjay

Grrrr .....
Start going to the bathroom in the aisle. They'll deplane
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:18 am

There are crew members out there that seem to think the pax bill of rights Has passed. Please let them know it has not.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Grrrr .....
Yeah, I saw that... Grrrr.... is pretty mild compared to what I might say.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by skylady
There are crew members out there that seem to think the pax bill of rights Has passed. Please let them know it has not.
Well in one sense they're correct, if you ARE on a delayed plane, drinking a magnum of champagne and ploughing through a can of caviar, a whole fois gras and associated accoutrements is probably going to want to make you visit the toilet so you should probably scale back your consumption (maybe a normal bottle and just the caviar ).

That said, I've yet to be on a delayed plane where they do more than offer me some tepid water and wry smiles when I ask if they know when we're going to be airborne so not eating and only drinking a few sips of water isn't going to be hard. Glad to see that the "sips of water the flight attendants offer" are not them being cheap or lazy, but it's actually in my interest
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Bravo! What a brave citizen!! << {My 8,000th post!}

Congrats on 8K!!!

Are passengers expected to starve to keep them from overflowing the lavatory? I'd be hot after sitting there and being denied food (and beer) for hours.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the suffering passengers cant get any water the FA should be forbidden to chat.

MisterNice
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

“I’m a flight attendant, and I just wanted to suggest that passengers not eat and drink while they’re sitting on the tarmac because then this lavatory issue comes up. Nobody’s going to be hurt by not eating or drinking for a few hours. They should take the sips of water the flight attendants offer and do their part. It’s the passengers’ duty to be practical. Why eat and drink and worry about having to go to the bathroom?”

Grrrr .....
The person who said this (obviously not essxjay) is a blithering idiot. Diabetes is the fastest growing disease in this country. Apart from that, lots of people use medication that needs to be taken either with a meal or a full glass of water.

What a moron!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
The person who said this (obviously not essxjay) is a blithering idiot. Diabetes is the fastest growing disease in this country. Apart from that, lots of people use medication that needs to be taken either with a meal or a full glass of water.

What a moron!
Agreed +1
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:32 am

Maybe those seat pockets should also include adult diapers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.