Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman Says Breast Milk Kept Her Off Plane

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
If it is expressed before clearing security then it's checked and she claims it at her destination. If it is expressed after clearing security then she keeps it with her. This isn't rocket science.
The flight has a stopover, the delay is long enough she will need to express milk during the stopover. There is *NO* solution at present.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
he||, if fam's can wear rear-looking non perscription eyeglasses, why can't the media go thru the checkpoint wearing an "eye-glass cam".
Let's see...gun..check, badge..check, ammo..check, rear-looking non prescription eyeglasses....now where the heck did I put those???
Old Jun 26, 2007, 4:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegeneral
The woman still has the breasts and they contain milk no?
Yes. Binary explosive.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
That silly woman should have arrived at the airport earlier than normal, gone through security and then expressed her milk. She should have set up to do so in the gate area so that she didn't miss any announcements, or, if she were too modest to express in public, she should have perched on a toilet seat in the women's restroom.
Hmm. I've managed to express milk in airports on numerous occasions, though I'm not brave enough to pump in public. That would probably get me arrested for sure. It's a pretty revealing process.

It's not hard for a businesswoman to research the rules, understand them, and work within them. That said, I still think the rules are STUPID. But I'm not willing to sacrifice my baby's health (as a pp suggested, by offering formula to my baby because I had to dump milk) so I play by the rules, or I don't play (don't fly). My 2 year old has an anaphylactic peanut allergy and the best way to avoid this lifethreatening condition in my baby is to exclusively breastfeed - that means NO formula.

The flight has a stopover, the delay is long enough she will need to express milk during the stopover. There is *NO* solution at present.
Baloney. I managed this and plenty of other travelling moms do.

I've found Admirals' Clubs have mothers' rooms (private room with electricity and seating to express milk) and supply ice to keep it cold. All breastpumps come with coolers; fresh breastmilk can be kept at room temp for up to ten hours with no problem. A properly packed cooler can stay cold for 24 hours or longer - I've kept milk cold on flights from Asia to the US. And yes, I've pumped in the O'Hare restroom as well. Where there's a will there's a way.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by kbins

I've found Admirals' Clubs have mothers' rooms (private room with electricity and seating to express milk) and supply ice to keep it cold. All breastpumps come with coolers; fresh breastmilk can be kept at room temp for up to ten hours with no problem. A properly packed cooler can stay cold for 24 hours or longer - I've kept milk cold on flights from Asia to the US. And yes, I've pumped in the O'Hare restroom as well. Where there's a will there's a way.
And how many people are fortunate enough to have club memberships? While many on FT may have them, I know many business travelers that don't.

That's great that AA is accommodating, but that leaves a lot of other moms out of luck.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Ari
Yes. Binary explosive.
Binary - two - I get it!

The dangerous liquid explosive spector rears its ugly head again. We are so fortunate that TSA saves us from the frightening liquid explosives.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This doesn't address the scenario. Your procedure won't work under current liquid-restriction rules.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This doesn't address the scenario. Your procedure won't work under current liquid-restriction rules.
Sure it does.

Option A: Pump outside the 'secure' area. Put expressed milk in cooler, check it as luggage. (Pray that luggage isn't lost.)

Option B: Wait to pump after clearing 'security' checkpoint, including in the Admiral's club/in the lav/while on the aircraft/in transit/changing planes. Continue to carry that expressed milk with you, on any plane or in the airport, til you exit the 'secure' area. Only if you have to exit the secure area or clear customs after arriving international, then you have to check the milk into your checked luggage before going back thru screening.

(I will add that if there's a jetbridge screening, like in SNN airport, milk expressed in the airport lounges may get dumped at the jetbridge. I was able to carry it on once with some begging and pleading but it was clearly against the rules).

I guess what I just don't get is why the Chicago woman chose to pump OUTSIDE the secure area, knowing that she'd have trouble getting the liquids thru the checkpoint. She could have just waited til she got past the checkpoint. If the AA folks were willing to let her use an office, they might have let her into the Admiral's club or somewhere else inside.

Again, I will reiterate the current rules are inconsistent and STUPID. I'm just saying that there ARE ways to make it work within the rules.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:19 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Option A: Pump outside the 'secure' area. Put expressed milk in cooler, check it as luggage. (Pray that luggage isn't lost.)
A faith-based plan? That doesn't sound very good!

Just like Comrade Hawley's lies about liquid explosives being a credible threat - we're supposed to accept his word that they exist. He's a liar and a poor one at that.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
The dangerous liquid explosive spector rears its ugly head again. We are so fortunate that TSA saves us from the frightening liquid explosives.
Think of the children!

Isn't that what TSA is "protectng". Wait - I assume the "frightening liquid explosive" is for the child! So she is giving explosives to her child!

She must be a terrorist - send her to Gitmo!
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I guess what I just don't get is why the Chicago woman chose to pump OUTSIDE the secure area, knowing that she'd have trouble getting the liquids thru the checkpoint.
Where do you get that she knew or was expecting trouble ? She had done exactly the same thing previously with no problems. Says so in the article.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Oh, on the TV news they quoted a TSA spokeshole as saying it isn't the amount of liquid, it's the size of the container. It seems she had 3 oz in a baggie which was bigger than one quart.
So, the objection is actually to taking air on the plane, rather than breast milk?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure it does.

Option B: Wait to pump after clearing 'security' checkpoint, including in the Admiral's club/in the lav/while on the aircraft/in transit/changing planes. Continue to carry that expressed milk with you, on any plane or in the airport, til you exit the 'secure' area. Only if you have to exit the secure area or clear customs after arriving international, then you have to check the milk into your checked luggage before going back thru screening.
My scenario was a stopover. She can't check the milk, she's going to have to clear security and can't carry it on.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Bump.

Also announced along with rescinding the lighter ban was this:
TSA is also modifying the procedures associated with carrying breast milk through security checkpoints. Mothers flying with or without their child will be permitted to bring breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is declared for inspection at the security checkpoint.
No guesses as to how long it will take for this to filter down to all the boneheads.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:54 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Bump.

TSA is also modifying the procedures associated with carrying breast milk through security checkpoints. Mothers flying with or without their child will be permitted to bring breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is declared for inspection at the security checkpoint.
No guesses as to how long it will take for this to filter down to all the boneheads.
And just what sort of inspection ensues upon "declaration" that makes one bit of sense? Oh, right -- visual!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.