The triumph of the clear plastic bag

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
The triumph of the clear plastic bag

cnnmoney.com article

Summer travelers may find security restrictions to be one more airport headache. But some companies are very happy that flying with liquids now means a mandatory plastic bag.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Recently I flew from New York to Hamburg, Germany, with a short layover in London's Heathrow airport. Since I was going only for a couple of days, I had no checked-in luggage; even so, British regulations require that anyone transferring flights has to go through security again, so I got in the long line with everyone else.

As I approached the X-ray machine, I saw a sign indicating that all liquid and gel toiletries had to be packed in a re-sealable, clear plastic bag no larger than 8 inches square. I briefly panicked. My toiletries were in a leather shaving kit; I'd not put anything in a plastic bag. Would security officials provide me with one? Would they confiscate my shampoo and toothpaste?

As it happened, no one said a word; my suitcase snuck through the X-ray machine without setting off any shampoo alarms. Which means that the plastic bag is unnecessary, right?
I wish.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:53 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Cargo pockets are also great for this, although not always a positive fashion statement.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"You seem especially happy to be traveling today, sir."
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Spiff
"You seem especially happy to be traveling today, sir."
Yes, I was just dreaming about some scenes in Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:04 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Yes, I was just dreaming about some scenes in Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Thanks!!! ^

"Is there a new Doom add-on pack out?"

(There are now several people at the Admirals Club looking at the guy laughing hard and pounding on the desk. I'm going to get kicked out of here, thanks to you!)
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:03 am

Programs: Miles and More
As I said when they first covered the "twitch based security", people are nervous enough flying as it is without adding the extra layer. Am I sweating and looking worried because I'm scared to fly (partially because you've scared the hell out of me with talk of liquid explosives) or a terrorist? As another poster said am I twitching for perfectly normal reasons or because I'm about to grab a plane in the name of <<INSERT GOD HERE>>?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.