Search

The Economist: Watch That Twitch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Mats
I wonder if the mystique of behavioral analysis is more important than the analysis itself.
*ding* We have a winnah!

I actually support pre-clearance as the lesser of two evils... I don't like it, but it seems better than their current nonsense.
But ceding yet another inch to these clowns tips the divide-and-conquer strategy even more decisively in their favor. I cannot abide a tactic that would give a few some short term peace as a traveler and the expense of long-term if not irrevocable greater concentrations of power in politicians. Enough is bloody enough.

Neither my credit score nor the underwire in my bra is any of the government's damn business w/o probable cause, nor do they have any business screaming in my face or anyone else's -- for ANY reason.

Just let me on the flippin' aircraft!

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 16, 2007 at 4:14 pm
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
*ding* We have a winnah!
I'm confused. We get on TSOs for becoming slaves to the process (liquid ban, anyone?) then, when they look past the minutiae of enforcing the "silly rules" and do something looking for actual bad people we get on them some more?

Do we give them a way out or is anything they do just crappy?

Neither my credit score nor the underwire in my bra is any of the government's damn business w/o probable cause, nor do they have any business screaming in my face or anyone else's -- for ANY reason.

Just let me on the flippin' aircraft!
I'd agree.

But let's talk some more about that underwire.....

BAD DAWG!! BAD DAWG!!

<Law Dawg goes and sits in the corner.....>
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The dog and pony show we have now will be even worse when the TSA are "trusted" for "discrimination". Then we'll have people drafted into a show -- involuntarily -- all for making some feel safe.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by law dawg
I'm confused. We get on TSOs for becoming slaves to the process (liquid ban, anyone?) then, when they look past the minutiae of enforcing the "silly rules" and do something looking for actual bad people we get on them some more?

Do we give them a way out or is anything they do just crappy?
Legit question about a legit concern. My critique is not about their mere existence or about much of what they do, just as a matter of practice. They *should* be screening me and my possessions for weapons and explosives. Period. Full stop.

What actions their superiors and administrators have tried to justify in the last five years or so as a reasonable to this search is what I and many others here question. Weighing these justifications against our constituted freedoms and liberties; our privacy concerns; questionable due process at times; and economic (taxpayer) expense results in the heady discussions about what principles our government is operating under.

What Mats seems to suggest is that the TSA spends a lot of $$$ spinning its wheels over talking about, defining the mission of, getting bids on and building prototype schemes and analytical algorithms rather than "just doing it." He says quite succinctly:

"Given my limited experience with profiling interviews in South America, Europe, and Israel, there is nothing magical about behavioral analysis. The legendary Israeli security seems to be based on the notion of, 'see if the story checks out.' "
But let's talk some more about that underwire.....

BAD DAWG!! BAD DAWG!!

<Law Dawg goes and sits in the corner.....>

That's another discussion, under a different handle, for another time, at a different Web site.

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 16, 2007 at 4:40 pm
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
Legit question about a legit concern. My critique is not about their mere existence or about much of what they do, just as a matter of practice. They *should* be screening me and my possessions for weapons and explosives. Period. Full stop.
Fair enough.

What actions their superiors and administrators have tried to justify in the last five years or so as a reasonable to this search is what I and many others here question. Weighing these justifications against our constituted freedoms and liberties; our privacy concerns; questionable due process at times; and economic (taxpayer) expense results in the heady discussions about what principles our government is operating under.
This is the crux of the matter - 1. how invasive can this search be, 2. what is effective given current and potential technologies and 3. can I pretty-freakin-please bring in my damned Starbucks before you have a mass murder on your hands (or is that just me?)

What Mats seems to suggest is that the TSA spends a lot of $$$ spinning its wheels over talking about, defining the mission of, getting bids on and building prototype schemes and analytical algorithms rather than "just doing it." He says quite succinctly:

"Given my limited experience with profiling interviews in South America, Europe, and Israel, there is nothing magical about behavioral analysis. The legendary Israeli security seems to be based on the notion of, 'see if the story checks out.' "
This is my point and something the FAM mentioned in his list - talk to people. Find out, within both legal and ethical limits, what's going on. See if their story matches. Look for the bad guy, not the weapon.

The problem comes in with the "checking out" part - how much is too much? See, some here object to screening so heavily but would be more in favor of this "profiling" (checking out). Others would tell a "profiler" to go pound sand but are fine with more invasive weapons checks. Others want to be completely left alone. Where is the right balance, or is there one? If not, where does that leave us?

That's another discussion, under a different handle, for another time, at a different Web site.
I'm into long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners, ......
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
see SPOT run

the SPOT folks at bos (you know the 2 state troopahs featured on 60 minutes who are now behavioral experts ) are gonna love me sept 30th.....

if there is not an airside smoking room (i know, ) in the terminal, i will grab a coffee (dunks rules ^), hang outside smoking, walk the terminal 'n people watch (gotta spot those f/t luggage tags ), check the monitors to see if the inbound for my flight is on time, grab another cofee, etc., etc., etc....

i can't wait....

SPOT: 'scuse me, may i ask you a few questons
me: why did you spot training say that i was a threat.
(and we'll see where it goes from there)

or if i'm nice....

SPOT: 'scuse me, may i ask you a few questons
me: sure
SPOT: where are ou flying today?
me: home
(and we'll see where it goes from there)

and to totally mess with them, i will activate my dormant "had coah" boston accent so that now they have me speaking as a local with a ca d/l.

see SPOT run
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:49 pm

Goalie, I endorse the idea of SPOT without the power trip. If a friendly, cheerful TSA person is making smalltalk with everyone in the line, he or she would be in a perfect position to conduct SPOT in a pleasant, less offensive way.

Someone without a stupid badge could be checking IDs, making sure everyone's bags are in order, etc. and keeping eyes peeled for "suspicious" behavior without staring and asking canned, blunt questions.

This technique has been in London and a version of it is used in Israel. The staff at Ben Gurion Airport don't necessarily care that much what's in your suitcase or what your socks look like; they might be using that time to "chit chat."

The TSA, if it got rid of its institutionalized power trip, could use some of these tactics. Motivated, friendly screeners, who say hi to babies, who remember frequent flyers, and who make small talk can gain as much, if not more information than an in-your-face behavioral analysis program.

But this change would require an overhaul of the TSA culture. They are hell-bent on a "show of force" style (hmmm, that sounds a bit like the executive branch of our Federal government). To use behavioral analysis appropriately, they would need to restructure the nature of their operations, and brainwash/drug a lot of their employees.

But, once again, I'm living in a common sense universe.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
There is good news and there is bad news.

The good news is intelligent people who are very highly trained can pick out many behaviours through reading gesture - whether of face or body. It goes much deeper than observing is someone is merely twitching.

The work of Dr. Paul Erdman in classifying facial expressions and gestrure over the past 30 years demonstrates this pretty well.

The bad news is that you must have trainable people who undergo long and careful education in the methodology. This means that it will never be implemented above the "paint by numbers" level thorugh group as large and as .... er, ... well not intelligent as the average TSA screener.

Just for fun, try this superficial facial test. http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...es/index.shtml

Important, too, is to remember that these techniques do not enable complete mind reading ... but they can be a very important help in flagging people for more scrutiny. On of the most important things to train is respect for the limitations of the training!

Last edited by Teacher49; Jun 16, 2007 at 9:34 pm
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teacher49
There is good news and there is bad news.

The good news is intelligent people who are very highly trained can pick out many behaviours through reading gesture - whether of face or body. It goes much deeper than observing is someone is merely twitching.

The work of Dr. Paul Erdman in classifying facial expressions and gestures over the past 30 years demonstrates this pretty well.

The bad news is that you must have trainable people who undergo long and careful education in the methodology. This means that it will never be implemented above the "paint by numbers" level thorugh group as large and as .... er, ... well not intelligent as the average TSA screener.

Just for fun, try this superficial facial test. http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...es/index.shtml

Important, too, is to remember that these techniques do not enable complete mind reading ... but they can be a very important help in flagging people for more scrutiny. On of the most important things to train is respect for the limitations of the training!
Bingo! The woman who SPOT checked me last week revealed far more about her intentions (and Kippy's) than she discovered about mine. Poor sod.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:41 am
Suspended

SPOT is a waste of money, a feel good measure to give authorities something that is neither needed nor effective given the relevant markets.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
SPOT is a waste of money, a feel good measure to give authorities something that is neither needed nor effective given the relevant markets.
It might silence those who have been clamoring for "El Al" security in the US; a small but worthwhile benefit.

BDOs may pick out a few fugitives, drug mules or other miscreants.
Terrorists ? No. Innocent passengers ? Thousands.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:48 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Mats
Goalie, I endorse the idea of SPOT without the power trip. If a friendly, cheerful TSA person is making smalltalk with everyone in the line, he or she would be in a perfect position to conduct SPOT in a pleasant, less offensive way.

Someone without a stupid badge could be checking IDs, making sure everyone's bags are in order, etc. and keeping eyes peeled for "suspicious" behavior without staring and asking canned, blunt questions.

This technique has been in London and a version of it is used in Israel. The staff at Ben Gurion Airport don't necessarily care that much what's in your suitcase or what your socks look like; they might be using that time to "chit chat."

The TSA, if it got rid of its institutionalized power trip, could use some of these tactics. Motivated, friendly screeners, who say hi to babies, who remember frequent flyers, and who make small talk can gain as much, if not more information than an in-your-face behavioral analysis program.

But this change would require an overhaul of the TSA culture. They are hell-bent on a "show of force" style (hmmm, that sounds a bit like the executive branch of our Federal government). To use behavioral analysis appropriately, they would need to restructure the nature of their operations, and brainwash/drug a lot of their employees.

But, once again, I'm living in a common sense universe.
"see spot run" IS a good tool if done correctly and i do agree with you on that. the whole problem i have is that would you feel safe 'n secure with a "90 day wonder*" perfroming this type of procedure. now, no dis-respect meant at all but i'm sorry, 90 days doesn't cut it for me and to train someone in how to profile and "screen verbally and/or visually" and give them a certificate stating that they are now an expert is not enought time and there are numerous phd's, shrinks and other trained professionals out there who are arguing just that. until folks are properly and adequatley trained, "see spot run" is kabuki theatre for ma 'n pa kettle.

the other point you bring up is that tsa needs to lose the power-trip and i'm not even gonna go there as i think the only folks that don't agree that the tsa is on a power trip is the tsa themself (oh, wait, i just wen't there )

now, what's wrong with as you say, "living in a common sense universe"

*for those who are ex military, you know what i mean but for those who do not know.....90 day wonder = someone selected for officer candidate school and poof, in 90 days of "special training", they are an officer.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:57 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
more on facial expressions

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/18923.html

yesterday article on tsa using people to look for facial expressions
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:29 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
And how many terrorists and/or potential has SPOT uncovered? The number ZERO comes to mind. I would like to ask this question again in six months, and I suspect it would be the same answer.

Just more harassment from your US government via the TSA!
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:43 am
Suspended

So can someone with Tourette Syndrome or someone with a medical condition that causes them to sweat profusely claim unlawful discrimination when targetted by security and law enforcement on the basis of their medical condition?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.