Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Roselle man held in bomb threat at Newark Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....640.xml&coll=1
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:09 pm

Widespread carnage and death barely averted. Raise the meter to red, institute some new bans, and lock everything down for a few weeks just to be safe.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
No passengers or airline employees were injured. The incident resulted in the closure of part of the ticket area, but it did not impede screening or delay flights, according to one of the two security officials.
Sounds to me like it was handled about right. The clown deserved what he got for making a false threat.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
The clown deserved what he got for making a false threat.
Of course. But, fwiw, the government wasn't necessary for that to happen here.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA DL HH
Originally Posted by Texas_Dawg
Of course. But, fwiw, the government wasn't necessary for that to happen here.
Huh??

"...he was charged with making a terroristic threat."

I'm all in favor of limited government, but this is (by any standard) a legitimate function of government.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Sounds to me like it was handled about right. The clown deserved what he got for making a false threat.
true as you simply don't make those kinds of threats-this guy is beyond being a moron.

but to now play devil's advocate.....it looks like ewr can only deal with a threat (real or fabricated as we don't know if the person did or did not have a device) if it is told direclty to their face as remember, this is is the airport that can screw up a free lunch by not finding test explosive devices and is only alerted that they flunked when the test devices arrived at their destination .
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by goalie
true as you simply don't make those kinds of threats-this guy is beyond being a moron.

but to now play devil's advocate.....it looks like ewr can only deal with a threat (real or fabricated as we don't know if the person did or did not have a device) if it is told direclty to their face as remember, this is is the airport that can screw up a free lunch by not finding test explosive devices and is only alerted that they flunked when the test devices arrived at their destination .
According to the story, the moron presented his threat to a CO employee first. FAMs were involved at some point later.

"He told a Continental customer service agent he had a bomb in his bag," Hicks said.

The alleged threat and ensuing scuffle occurred at a Continental Airlines ticket counter on the international departures level of Terminal C, according to one of two security officials. Those officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the incident publicly.

It's not clear from the story whether CO employees tried to detain this guy, but I would speculate that company policy would be to call LEOs in threats of unknown veracity.

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 8, 2007 at 2:09 pm
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
According to the story, the moron presented his threat to CO employees first. Then FAMs were involved at some point later.

It's not clear from the story whether CO employees tried to detain this guy, but I would speculate that company policy would be to call LEOs in matters of unknown threat veracity.
oops, my bad-looks like the tsa at ewr dodged a bullet (pun intended )
Old Jun 8, 2007, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by goalie
oops, my bad-looks like the tsa at ewr dodged a bullet (pun intended )
Ohhh ... don't say "bullet."
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:22 am

Ohhh ... don't say "bullet."
oh, my did i say "bullet"....my bad (yet again) how about....
bul·let n
1. a projectile fire from a handgun, rifle, or other small firearm. It is usually pointed and cylindrical in shape, and usually made of metal.

wheeeeeee
<sorry, very tough hockey game last night>
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Not to worry the guy will have a "mental health" problem & get off.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Just hope it wasn't another penis pump misunderstood to be a bomb.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Superguy
Just hope it wasn't another penis pump misunderstood to be a bomb.
That's not my bag, baby! Yeah!
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Not to worry the guy will have a "mental health" problem & get off.
Yeah, should have shot him when they had the chance.

Kidding.

Maybe.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by gofast
Huh??

"...he was charged with making a terroristic threat."

I'm all in favor of limited government, but this is (by any standard) a legitimate function of government.
Without the government, he probably would have just gotten his arse royally beaten, and it would have been left at that.

Anyway, my point was simply that tackling the guy and removing him from the area did not require people to be employed by the government (i.e. FAMs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.