Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop alarms ETD

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Laptop alarms ETD

Last week I was flying out of Raleigh and taking two company laptops with me. TSO picks up the first one to do the swabby-thing. I'm waiting with the rest of my belongings when the machine starts beeping and the screen turns red. TSO calls out, "ETD alarm!" Another TSO walks over and gives me a quick pat down while the first writes in what appears to be a log book.

That was it! Not a second look was given at the offending laptop, a second ETD swab nor were any of my other belongings looked at. I asked what set it off and got the, "We can't tell you" bull. I realize the whole security thing is just a facade, but couldn't they at least make an effort (beyond confiscating water bottles) to appear like they are doing something?
Old May 22, 2007, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
Last week I was flying out of Raleigh and taking two company laptops with me. TSO picks up the first one to do the swabby-thing. I'm waiting with the rest of my belongings when the machine starts beeping and the screen turns red. TSO calls out, "ETD alarm!" Another TSO walks over and gives me a quick pat down while the first writes in what appears to be a log book.

That was it! Not a second look was given at the offending laptop, a second ETD swab nor were any of my other belongings looked at. I asked what set it off and got the, "We can't tell you" bull. I realize the whole security thing is just a facade, but couldn't they at least make an effort (beyond confiscating water bottles) to appear like they are doing something?
Did they give the machine a whack? Did they use a fresh sample cloth? Did they take your personal information?
Old May 22, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Last trip out of DEN the baby's car seat set off the ETD! Now first of all they weren't happy that it couldn't fit in the x-ray (his car seat and wheeled attachment looks a lot like this). So they had to do a hand check including ETD swab.

Supervisor comes over and she swabs again. Alarm. So then they go through the whole deal of wiping down the metal table and wand with alcohol, getting a new swab clotch, wiping the sensors etc. Alarm. Super says something to the effect of the unit being troublesome all day...based on his observation there's no threat (not that he even checked the seat himself) yada yada yada and sends us on our way. I'm assuming it was indeed the machine since we had just washed the car seat cover a few days prior to the trip.
Old May 22, 2007, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I asked what set it off and got the, "We can't tell you" bull. I realize the whole security thing is just a facade, but couldn't they at least make an effort (beyond confiscating water bottles) to appear like they are doing something?
By "we can't tell you", they try to mean that you're not important enough to tell. But what they mean is "we're too stupid to know, nobody tells us what it means, so we can't tell you".
Old May 22, 2007, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonesing
Last trip out of DEN the baby's car seat set off the ETD! Now first of all they weren't happy that it couldn't fit in the x-ray (his car seat and wheeled attachment looks a lot like this). So they had to do a hand check including ETD swab.

Supervisor comes over and she swabs again. Alarm. So then they go through the whole deal of wiping down the metal table and wand with alcohol, getting a new swab clotch, wiping the sensors etc. Alarm. Super says something to the effect of the unit being troublesome all day...based on his observation there's no threat (not that he even checked the seat himself) yada yada yada and sends us on our way. I'm assuming it was indeed the machine since we had just washed the car seat cover a few days prior to the trip.

Washing means using soap, soap has glycerine, glycerine triggers alarms on the ETD machine.
Old May 22, 2007, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've had items that alarmed a few different times. They always shrug, and try a different machine. Adds another minute or so to my wait.
Old May 22, 2007, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Terrific. I feel so safe now.
Old May 22, 2007, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Terrific. I feel so safe now.
Good. Are you feel safe from ETD machine?
Old May 23, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: UA AA DL US HH
Note to self: don't indulge in a twilight model rocket launch before flying to DFW next week and don't even think about recycling any of those spent blackpowder rocket motors to make display stands or adaptors for mini motors.

My work and hobbies make ETD have a meltdown!
Old May 23, 2007, 9:56 am

Last week I was flying out of Raleigh

That was it! Not a second look was given at the offending laptop, a second ETD swab nor were any of my other belongings looked at.
Which Ckpt ?

Did it go thru the X-ray first ? Was it opened after it alarmed ?
Old May 23, 2007, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by LessO2
Did they take your personal information?
Well, ByeByeDelta, did they?
Old May 23, 2007, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by RocketHokie
Note to self: don't indulge in a twilight model rocket launch before flying to DFW next week and don't even think about recycling any of those spent blackpowder rocket motors to make display stands or adaptors for mini motors.

My work and hobbies make ETD have a meltdown!
I have an "L" engine casing around. Perhaps I should bring it through security, and see if it alarms.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:22 pm

I realize the whole security thing is just a facade, but couldn't they at least make an effort (beyond confiscating water bottles) to appear like they are doing something?
Why would they do that?

They are there to do what it takes to get paid. Period.

Since you, I, and they know this, why should any of us expect or even ask them to do more than what these people did in this situation?
Old May 24, 2007, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Did they give the machine a whack? Did they use a fresh sample cloth? Did they take your personal information?
No machine whacking, no second sample, no personal information, no panic, no nothing!

Originally Posted by TakeScissorsAway
Which Ckpt ?

Did it go thru the X-ray first ? Was it opened after it alarmed ?
Departing Terminal C. Computer went through x-ray, TSO #1 took it to swab, alarm goes off, TSO #2 comes over and I get a very quick pat down, TSO #1 writes something in a log book, TSO #2 says, "Thanks, have a good flight," I pick up the laptop and walk away.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:27 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Washing means using soap, soap has glycerine, glycerine triggers alarms on the ETD machine.
Thanks LessO2! It's always bugged me that my freshly washed sneakers trigger the alarm on the ETD machine. Now I know why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.