Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Liquid and ONE Bag rule from a LHR Goon

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2007, 3:35 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Fashion predictions (male and female):
Pockets are going to become de rigueur
Shoplifters' coats (lots of secret pockets) will become all the rage
The optimality of size 0 models will lose out to the bulkier numbers whose lines will not be spoiled by their having things in their pockets
Moneybelt manufacturers will launch whole new product lines.
Old May 13, 2007, 3:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Karen2
As far as I can see, the Brits have disdain for everyone but themselves.

Travel with that attitude is always going to result in disdain.
Old May 13, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
So, what happened?
I too would like to know what happened (or was supposed to happen)
on May 4....
Old May 13, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by SFOtoGermany
So what could I do to persuade LHR security to let me have that CPAP bag as a second carry-on bag?
Get a letter from your doctor.
Old May 13, 2007, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DanTravels
*shrug* those beasts "detect" all kinds of things - like the goon said, they spot densities. (And like he didn't say, they spot materials that absorb or distort the radiation to whatever extent. I happen to travel with some things that distort it, and inexperienced x-ray ops find them very amusing.)
The x-ray machines in use at BAA-operated airports do not detect liquid explosives.
Old May 14, 2007, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by Karen2
I did not anticipate that a woman's handbag would count as a bag. Also, I did not know I would be out of security transferring from United to Midland.
Huh? You were entering a different country. Like it or not, you always go through security at the port of entry, be it the UK, US or any other country I can think of.
Old May 17, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold, LHS, SAS EB
I agree with most of you that transit in LHR is probably one of worst places and as a passenger you cant do much about it except not to carry to much .
Still we are missing flights due to the constant mess at the airport caused by bad management.

I am now so frustrated having to go throught this place basically every weekend , transit from T1 to 4 v.v , and it never gets any better .Why ?

Why are not all security gates manned so that more people get through faster. There are more goons than people working at the security
Connection Center - yeah . What a joke !

Where are the fast transit trains between terminals etc ?
Current buses are hardly environment friendly.

I am not so sure the transit problems are solved with the new terminal T5.

Sorry BA _ I am taking a different route this weekend - and if it works out - its your loss of cash from now on.
Old May 18, 2007, 2:34 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Spiff
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

LHR was already on my "avoid" list; thank you for the reinforcement!
s/LHR/UK/

I'm avoiding the whole hole of the UK as much as possible. Eurostar when necessary.
Old May 18, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
To the OP: I'm not surprised about your attitude at all but seems that a lot of others are. Thanks for explaining the crazy situation to all of us. Your post also explains why I was able to travel all over Europe the last two weeks with all kinds of liquids in the side pockets of my bag that I had forgotten there from my previous spa visit.

Oh, and see you next week, I'm afraid. Be nice!
Old May 18, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: BAEC SG BD CO
Medications and screening

Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
Get a letter from your doctor.
Yes - but make sure it is in English. Last Sunday evening my wife, after waiting over an hour in considerable pain at LGW North for security clearance had a 150g tube of dermatology cream required for a cancer treatment confiscated despite a french prescription label. Never mind it was replaced by the British National Health Service the following day.
Old May 27, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Current Update from LHR Terminal 1: Laptops and Cameras

I flew through LHR T1 on Friday, 5/25. This applies to the destination non-UK flights, not sure if their rules differ.

I approached the pre-security clearance with my camera bag (doing current duty as a purse and electronics holder) and laptop separate and the gentleman told me I"d have to put them in-one bag rule. I did so and went back. I was about the laptop especially so when one of the security screeners ask myself and others who were hurriedly removing laptops asked why we didn't do it prior to arriving at security. Um, one hand doesn't talk to the other hand? That said, I was patted down at the checkpoint itself even though I didn't set off any alarms, that's a first ever for me.

On the US side (EWR, BA Terminal (B? can't remember), two bags were fine save for the now-normal laptop removal. I have to reconnect through LHR though only T4 flight connections since I arrive to and leave from the same terminal. We'll see what, if anything, differs in a month.
Old May 27, 2007, 9:58 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travellingcari

On the US side (EWR, BA Terminal (B? can't remember), two bags were fine save for the now-normal laptop removal. I have to reconnect through LHR though only T4 flight connections since I arrive to and leave from the same terminal. We'll see what, if anything, differs in a month.
I doubt anything will differ in a month. It has been this fubared since last summer / fall.
Old May 28, 2007, 1:14 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by stc
I doubt anything will differ in a month. It has been this fubared since last summer / fall.
Seems to be quite random though, I spoke with two classmates who connected through different terminals on their connections over. One was fine with her purse and school bag, the other was forced to check his school bag due to size-which was the same as both of ours. I don't disagree that the rules have been in place since them but it appears to be very much a YMMV type thing based on who you get and their moods.
Old May 28, 2007, 4:33 am
stc

Originally Posted by travellingcari
Seems to be quite random though, I spoke with two classmates who connected through different terminals on their connections over. One was fine with her purse and school bag, the other was forced to check his school bag due to size-which was the same as both of ours. I don't disagree that the rules have been in place since them but it appears to be very much a YMMV type thing based on who you get and their moods.
Well, maybe things are getting "better" in that they are getting laxer with the rules. IME, at both LHR and LGW they were 100% strict to the point of absurdity (not allowing 2 small bags, reducing elderly couples to the point of tears, not allowing a flat print as well as a bag, etc.)
Old May 28, 2007, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by stc
Well, maybe things are getting "better" in that they are getting laxer with the rules. IME, at both LHR and LGW they were 100% strict to the point of absurdity (not allowing 2 small bags, reducing elderly couples to the point of tears, not allowing a flat print as well as a bag, etc.)
This is exactly what I've seen as well, strictness to the point of absurdity. One item per person, period - no exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.