Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will TSA confiscate auto license plates?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Will TSA confiscate auto license plates?

We re-titled 2 cars in a new state - I have the new plates and plan to take them on my carryon.

Obviously, these will look odd when scanned and I have no doubt my bag will be pulled.

I can't envision these being considered a weapon in any remote way, but then there are lots of other things I would have put into that category (like, oh, say, toothpaste?).

Anyone think this will be a problem? I of course can't just elect to toss these ...
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:18 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
not likely... when I shipped my car from San Juan to the mainland, I actually took the plate off and it flew with me (cause well, I've heard too many stories of the plates being stolen while the car is on the boat). It didn't even raise an eyebrow.

My brother did the same thing when he shipped his truck from Miami to San Juan
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow in TS/S Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

thanks, great to get direct experience! know that you mention they "why", I can see that many more folks than I would have thought probably travel with plates, so hopefully it will be a non-issue.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:37 pm

I have done this before and had no problem. Before I left I sent Bart a PM and he said no problem. I doubt this should be any different now.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Why in the world would the TSA ever confiscate auto tags? Has this ever happened to anyone before?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why in the world would the TSA ever confiscate auto tags? Has this ever happened to anyone before?
Unfortunately, our rights have been so eroded and we have now been conditioned that anything other than socks and underwear is a *perceived* security risk and we will somehow be stopped, flagged, flogged and questioned.

(Wow. Did I just channel Spiff?)
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: TSA
In a short answer: "no"
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The TSA might think you are trying to do something illegal and refer you to law enforcement, just as if you were carrying a lot of cash or some unlabeled white powder or green herbs.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I’ve carried plates several times.

Never had a problem.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:22 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
FWIW I carried my vanity plate in a carry-on (a backpack for a laptop.) It went through the Xray at IAD, SFO, LAS, and YVG with no questions asked.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:59 pm

Why don't you obtain unlisted license plate numbers. In that way you can feel secure that no one will steal them. I doubt that you have any risk from the TSA as they have advised me that they have a good theft record, and the missing item from my checked in bag the agent rummaged through, he probably forgot to return it to the bag. Under such circumstances the item is turned over to the lost and found. I feel so much better now.

All I have to do is buy a round trip ticket and return to the city where the possession was probably misplaced, check with the lost and found, and hopefully find it. Then catch the return flight home.

How much more user friendly could the procedure be. Once again theTSA has set up a procedure for the convenience of the traveler.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
"why in the world would the tsa ever confiscate <insert your item here>. because they are the tsa and have no bloody clue what in the name of common sense they are doing and i mean no offense to those from the tsa here on f/t - i simply am referring to an idiotic and inept government organizantion with ridiculous and arcane rules.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by redbeard911
Unfortunately, our rights have been so eroded and we have now been conditioned that anything other than socks and underwear is a *perceived* security risk and we will somehow be stopped, flagged, flogged and questioned.
"I don't care whether you brought socks and underwear yesterday, they are not allowed today. We have to keep the bad guys on their toes, you know"
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Why in the world would the TSA ever confiscate auto tags?
TSA Screener "Logic": Pax has a flat metal object, with four corners. It has the potential to be thrown in a flat horizontal or vertical trajectory narrower than an airplane isle at high speed while rotating to achieve flight stability and cause the corners to possibly break unexposed flesh of a person it should accidentally or on purpose strike. It obviously is a disguised Ninja Throwing Star, a BANNED object. Please step to the side, Comrade Criminal. LEO Assist!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.