Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

FA's throw boiling water on Air Mauritania hijacker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA's throw boiling water on Air Mauritania hijacker

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I hope that the boiling water scars this guy for life.

It would be nice if the authorities put a bullet in his head as soon as he gets off the plane. There should be a zero tolerance policy for any type of attempted hijacking.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
Yes.
Maybe not quite enough O2 for you.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Fishie
Oh $hit, someone with a Moslem name was pilotting the plane and saved all the pax.
Better make sure he cant fly airplanes anymore.
Read my post, then respond rationally, if you can.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
Maybe not quite enough O2 for you.

HA HA! Oh I get it -- because someone gives you an answer to your question not to your liking, you result to ad hominem stuff.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TierFlyer
Really? Can you point to a cite, link, or responsible article about that? It seems a farfetched hypothesis.....

Look it up yourself, and label it whatever you want.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
You're assuming hijackers are intelligent. Most aren't very intelligent--it's a crime you so often don't get away from.
Well, smart enough to notice that they're packing the seats around you with guys, moving the women out of the way, and suddenly speaking in a language you don't understand?

I'd also assumed he knew which end of the gun produced 'oowies', but perhaps the whole situation was safer than it appeared? :_)
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:31 pm

You said:
My point was to demonstrate how crew smarts and passenger rebellion can happen anywhere, and the TSA doesn't want you to think that way.
I asked for a cite or reference and you said:
Look it up yourself, and label it whatever you want.
So, I'll take that as "no, I got nothing" then.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TierFlyer
You said:

I asked for a cite or reference and you said:

So, I'll take that as "no, I got nothing" then.

It's called THINKING.

If you have some incessant need to have someone like CNN, Fox News or MSNBC to validate things, that's an issue greater than any frequent-flier discussion board will ever be able to handle for you.

I'll take what you say as "yes, I'm a troll" then.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Good thing we're wasting tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars on the FAM program here in the US, when it has been obvious ever since 9/11 that passengers/FAs would thwart any future terrorist attack that a FAM could thwart... This case is a great example.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:26 pm

I'd have to second or third the opinion that these people were fortunate they encourtered a very dim, if not just completely clueless hijacker. Hooray for the good guys!
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
That's where the smilies, tacky though they can be, are helpful. With on-line discussions we miss the intonation, body language cues, etc, so it's often hard to tell if someone is serious, sarcastic, subtle, or clueless.
Actually, that's where avoiding knee-jerk reactions, taking 2 seconds to think about the likely tone, can be helpful.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by mwarden
Actually, that's where avoiding knee-jerk reactions, taking 2 seconds to think about the likely tone, can be helpful.
Re-reading the post which triggered the comment, I see nothing to indicate a tone of sarcasm. It certainly reads pretty straightforward. So, I don't see the knee-jerk.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by justageek
Good thing we're wasting tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars on the FAM program here in the US, when it has been obvious ever since 9/11 that passengers/FAs would thwart any future terrorist attack that a FAM could thwart... This case is a great example.
Really? It is? I think its kinda different.

How so, you ask? Well, let me tell you-

On this one you have a yahoo waving two pistols around that obviously has less than a clue as to what is going on. They are alone and looking for a free ride. They are stupid and lackadaisical.

al Qaeda, on the other hand, operates in teams. They train, incessantly, on achieving their tactical and strategic goals. They have a plan and they execute it ruthlessly. They are smart and not the least lackadaisical.

Next time you fly imagine a hijacking happens. Most likely it'll happen up front, so if you're in the back you're out of the fight before you can even get in it. It will be all over but the shouting by the time you 1) even know what's happening and 2) can get up front to leap into your remarkable action.

But, let's assume you're close enough to the action to do said leaping - are you going to? By yourself? Or do you somehow envision that everyone will jump up at the same time? You better hope they do, because if they don't you'll be conspicuous, to say the least. And conspicuous in this kind of event generally means "target." Ask the poor Israeli guy that jumped up on 9/11 by himself. He got hisself killed within seconds. It took United 93 25 minutes and a vote to get rolling. They had to plan, get pumped up, talk each other into action, etc.

If I was a bad guy I'd never let anyone talk, plan, plot or conspire. I'd kill several people from the get-go to get everyone down. Anyone looks funny, execute them. Anyone talks, executed. Anyone moves, executed. Whisper? Executed. And done so in a brutal, bloody manner. People have no experience with that. When it does happen they tend to shut down.

That kind of directed violence has yet to happen again since 9/11. A bunch of EDPs and hijackers not using violence is not an accurate methodology to determine how normal people will respond in the middle of a violent hijacking. Much like people jumped on EDPs on planes prior to 9/11 (they even beat one to death) but once faced with 9/11 they got their heads down. Because they were scared, and rightfully so.

Intellectually everyone says they'll fight back, but intellect goes right out the window under adrenal stress, which is why the military and LE spends millions of dollars and thousands of hours training people to react instinctively.

To say it'll never happen again because people know what will happen is to ignore the lessons of history. You can watch videos of Jewish prisoners walking into the gas chambers, knowing what was happening, but not really believing it. Over and over again.

You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by law dawg
[SNIP]

To say it'll never happen again because people know what will happen is to ignore the lessons of history. You can watch videos of Jewish prisoners walking into the gas chambers, knowing what was happening, but not really believing it. Over and over again.

You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training.
LawDawg - That should be required reading for every d*mn fool talking smack about FAM's, security, and the need to over-value "feelings" over basic security.

I'm gonna steal the whole thing and post it on my blog and spam the biggies on the web with it. Absolutely worth reading all the trip for six months to get to that.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
Actually, since there seems to be a pattern here, the only responsible thing to do is to profile.

Demographics PLUS behavior.

Disagree?
Depends on what magic demographic profile is being peddled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.