Wiki Posts
Search

Duty free ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A, BAEC -Gold
Duty free ...

Travelling from LHR to ATL via IAD will my liquid duty free be a problem, when I get to IAD?

Whats the procedure for carrying liquid duty free from abroad (LHR) on an internal US flight?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
There isnt one. You're okay to Dulles but would then need to put it in your checked baggage before you re-transit security at IAD. A definite PITA
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
What does this have to do with United?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Not much but I assume that the OP is flying UA into IAD.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
What does this have to do with United?
Cause I am travelling with United on both sectors and wanted to know Uniteds policy or what experience others on this board may have had. Is that ok?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:25 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Actually, the policy is not United specific.... it is dictated by the federal government.

You will not be able to carry your duty free unless it is less than 3 oz. and fits into a one quart baggie. No exceptions to that rule. Really a pain if you do not check luggage... but those are the rules.

William
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
I learned that the hard way last year when I was at FRA and coming back through ORD-SFO. They told me that I'd have to check it at ORD and since I was on an MR, not possible. Would have made for a fun stay at the RCC though.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Yeah..I just did LHR-IAD and they make it very clear that booze doesn't transit in carry-on, even if it was in a sealed duty-free bag. It's even sadder as the purser on that flight offered me a nearly full bottle of Champagne if I was ending my travel at IAD; alas, no, as I was headed home to BOS.

Timothy

My FI flight KEF-BOS was filled with Reyka vodka, though. Mmm. Lava.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys.

No duty free for me then
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:38 am

BUt if IAD was your destination, from say FRA or something, duty free shouldn't be a problem at all, right?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:11 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Originally Posted by nebratu
BUt if IAD was your destination, from say FRA or something, duty free shouldn't be a problem at all, right?
Nope. As long as it's less than 3 oz., bought in airport beyond security or on-board, you're clear to bring it on the plane bringing you to the United States, but it must be checked by bag recheck.

Timothy
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:28 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I am going to move this to the Travel Safety/Security Forum since this subject is not just UA-specific and is discussed there periodically.
Thanks for your understanding.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:33 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Joe de London
Thanks guys.

No duty free for me then
Smart move.

Everyone should boycott duty free until this ridiculous, unnecessary "war on liquids" dies the death it so richly deserves.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by nebratu
IAD, that should be true. At other airports (like ATL or CVG) where you transit back through the secure area just to leave the airport, you won't be able to carry a large bottle outside of Customs.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:16 pm

Just to add that the same rule applies to transitting EU airports with the important proviso that unless you pick up your luggage, go groundside & recheck it, you won't be able to check your booze - so it goes in the bin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.