Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA experience while wearing a cast.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
TSA experience while wearing a cast.

I flew out of terminal 2 in PHX on Tuesday while wearing a small cast on my thumb/wrist. I wasn't sure what to expect and forgot to look at the tsa's website before I left. I thought that the metal clasps holding the bandage over the cast might set of the WTMD but they didn't. Other than the tsa being painfully slow in terminal 2, nothing else happened.
Coming home on Wednesday from SMF, as I walk through the WTMD, the tsa guy says something to the effect of "extra screening". I honestly thought he was anticipating the WTMD alarming and as it didn't, I said "nope, not today." He said "no really, you have to wait here because of the cast." While waiting I started to give him a little bit of a hard time by saying "I didn't get extra screening in PHX, how do I know you are right and they are wrong?" He replied "we are the TSA here." I said "you know, PHX is in America and it's the TSA there, too."
"Male assist! Better get a supervisor over here too", was his response. I guess I was scaring him. As this whole thing caught me by surprise, I suddenly realized that while I could see my bags coming out of the x-ray, because of the angle, I could not see into the bins and couldn't tell which bin had my laptop in it. I had to pretty much yell over to the x-ray screener area and tell them I couldn't see my laptop and that I wanted it placed where other passengers couldn't get to it. Finally a screener and manager came over and I asked to see the policy on casts. I got the usual B.S. line about it being super secret SOP. I told them that I'm sure it's on the public website and could they show it to me. Of course they couldn't. They said that they just needed to swab the cast and that I needed to sit down. I said "if you just need to swab, then go ahead but I don't need to sit down for that." While swabbing, I asked the manager, "assuming that PHX was wrong and that you are right, how safe should I feel that I was able to board an aircraft without my cast being swabbed in PHX?"
"We are here for your safety," came the reply.
"Not doing a very good job if I can get on a plane without the TSA doing what it's supposed to do. Also, while I'm thinking about it, you are separating passengers from their personal items and I couldn't see my laptop."
The manager says "I can see in the bins from here and I'm shorter than you."
"No, not here. Where I was waiting before the swabbing."
"Well there's a number you can call to complain."
"I'm complaining now and you're the manager so how about you do something about it?"
"Ok, I will."
So what did I learn from this that I didn't already know? First, SMF was right, they are supposed to swab the cast. PHX couldn't have just missed it as I was wearing a t-shirt. Had the tsa guy at the WTMD in SMF said "we just need to swab the cast" I would have felt totally different about the whole situation. The "you are going to get extra screening" with a smirk on his face just reinforced the belief about tsa and power-trips.
Secondly, SMF screeners and managers (at least the one I dealt with) are clueless. They had no idea how to deal with me pointing out that my possessions could not be seen from the secondary area nor did they realize that the error in PHX exposed the tsa for the farce that it is.
The good thing is that I now know to make sure that my cast made out of Semtex needs to be kept under my long sleeve shirt where it can't be seen.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I have gone thru SLC and EWR with a soft cast on my wrist due to an auto accident. At SLC they didnt' care or wag a finger, at EWR they wanted me to unbandage the wrist so they could see it, I denied since I didn't have my bandage stuff in my cary on, and they did extra screening. I think its Luck of the draw at each airport.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This story is just more evidence that the TSA has no clue. The left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, and there is absolutely no consistency.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I've had my cast swabbed in every US airport I've been through since being in a cast. I think PHX just missed it. I've also been treated very respectfully regarding it and the extra screening. They've been particularly careful that my belongings were where I could see it or were with a travel companion. I think you got some bad screeners and since the supervisor was less than helpful, I would guess it's a trickle down bad attitude.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:01 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
I've travelled with a thumb splint brace a few times... was probably questioned
just once...
this was prior to 8/10
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
For a few weeks I had one foot all bandaged up (ace bandage). I was swabbed at every US airport I went through even though it wasn't a cast. It wasn't a big deal - I got to the airport very very early those days since it took me ages to hobble to my gate.

This was before 8/10
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:14 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
FWIW, I was swabbed LAX-OAK but not OAK-LAX earlier this year with a wrist cast. Incidentally, this thread suggests we FTers are a rather clumsy bunch!
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NNH
FWIW, I was swabbed LAX-OAK but not OAK-LAX earlier this year with a wrist cast. Incidentally, this thread suggests we FTers are a rather clumsy bunch!
You have no idea how much I needed a laugh today regarding my injury!
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by NNH
Incidentally, this thread suggests we FTers are a rather clumsy bunch!
No, it's just what we get for casting our lot with the true patriots.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:36 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
No, it's just what we get for casting our lot with the true patriots.
But are the TSA policies cast in stone?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:09 pm

Programs: Luckest hitchhiker ever! WN CSA/SMF
Originally Posted by xyzzy
This story is just more evidence that the TSA has no clue. The left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, and there is absolutely no consistency.
Exactly! SMF is my home airport and I have to agree with the OP, SMF TSA is getting worse and worse by the day! I remember when I could go through security with no issues or BS from SMF TSA, but now with this plus the whole problem with my Library of Congress card, I really am starting to hate SMF TSA.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NNH
But are the TSA policies cast in stone?
Whatever these polices are inscribed in, it's obvious they were created by cast-offs of society.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I was at one airport about 2 years ago and the TSA folks tried to separate me from my luggage. I said, 'no, it stays with me, and I'm not moving where I can't see it'. The screener started getting agitated with me, and I asked that they call the local cop over. I explained to him that the laptop must not leave my sight (and within reach of other passengers). He agreed, and had words with the screener. In the end, we resolved the issue to my satisfaction (cop carried my stuff to the secondary area, cause I was not allowed to touch it), but what a pain.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
I am reading this thread with great interest, as I have had to travel wearing a Darco shoe since Nov. 6. Since my accident, I have traveled through 5 different airports: GCM, CLT, ORD, MKE and ATL. In all of these airports, with the exception of Atlanta, I was treated with dignity and respect by all involved including, (gasp!) the TSA. In fact, in my very frequent travels, both domestic and international, I have never encountered the rudeness and insensitivity which I experienced at ATL.

My experience in ATL: The TSA made me feel as if my being there was a problem from the start. As I hobbled to the front of the inspection line (I also have to use a crutch at this time) and placed my items on the belt, I was informed that I was in the wrong line. I asked why I had not been informed of this earlier. At this time, my husband heard the TSA discussing the fact that I was going to be a problem. The TSA asked me if I were "sure" that I needed the crutch and Darco shoe. I felt like stating "no, I simply wear the shoe and use the crutch to be fashionable" but thought better of it and simply stated yes. This is where the fun began. The TSA told me "go over there" without really specifying where. So, I proceeded to go to the secondary inspection area. Then they started yelling at me. I finally figured out that they meant the plexiglass box (kind of like being a caged zoo animal). I stood until I became uncomfortable, and then leaned the crutch against the side and sat on the floor. This really angered the supervisor who screamed at me to get to my feet. I was then taken to a public screening area where I was told to stand without the crutch. I was basically called a liar when I told them I could not do so without experiencing excrutiating pain. Then they told me to sit. The female TSA, who appeared to be hygienically challenged, roughly grabbed my injured foot to swab it. I told her that she was hurting me. She said she didn't think so. Then, the groping began. I informed her that I could remove my underwire bra (this can easily be accomplished without disrobing) for inspection so as to avoid having the wand go off which would necessitate her having to touch my breasts. This really angered her. She stormed off stating that she didn't have to take this from me. She brought back a supervisor who then loudly yelled at me and made threats. He brought another TSA and told her to start the search over. This was no standard 'pat down'. If a stranger on a bus had touched me in this manner, even using "the back of their hand" (why this makes it any less intrusive is beyond me) they would be arrested. It was humiliating and degrading to be treated in this manner. The Supervisor stood there smiling and smirking the whole time. When the TSA was finally satisfied that I was not concealing a bomb in my bra or in the crotch of my pants, I was reunited with my husband who could not believe what he had just witnessed. In fact, other passengers expressed their shock to me as I entered the "sterile area".

All I have to say at this point: God help anyone who ever has to travel through ATL injured or handicapped. The TSA will make your time there miserable. I am grateful to the airline employees and TSA at Chicago (ORD) Milwaukee, Charlotte and the employees at the Grand Cayman Airport (no TSA there) who treated me with compassion and respect.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:14 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
VonS: welcome to FT!

I hope you will file a complaint with the ATL TSA and the US Department of Justice under the Americans with Disabilities Act:

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

The treatment you received was nothing less than criminal.
altabello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.