Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I got arrested this week at a checkpoint!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:54 am

Programs: NW Gold, CO, DL, US
Originally Posted by cme2c
By multiple, he means two $39 runs for about 2000 miles. He gets the rest.
Your reply makes no sense. What is your point? Does the pronoun "he" apply to me or the OP?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You should sue them. I think getting screwed over kind of gives you some responsiblity to screw them for it, for the good of the country
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:01 am
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
This story sounds like it's from a bad movie with the good ole boys.... I'm thinking smokey and the bandit. Just amazing!
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Insane! And yes, different from the other arrest discussed here recently.

I would suggest you not only contact an attorney, but also the media immediately. I think the angle that you are an airline employee will appeal to them.

The bottom line is that in our country you can now be arrested and jailed for doing anything "out of the ordinary," even if it is perfectly legal. We have already seen threads about people being detained and questioned by FAMs for simply doing mileage runs, and here we see a similar (though much worse) situation of someone being jailed for carrying a rubber-band ball.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: 1MM
Thumbs down

this gives me the creeps
homeland security has turned into the fatherland...
we're talking everyday people with families, kids, bills, etc being thrown in jail simply for trying to fly with a rubber ball.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
Originally Posted by eastwest
There is some merit here on both sides. At no point did I swear at, threaten, or obstruct anyone in their duties. It was a bit of a case of "keystone cops," no doubt about it.

I shouldn't have to be the "level-headed" one in all this, but I could have refrained from telling the TSA guy to "quit running at the mouth."

We've distilled the bottom line in all this and that bottom line is: the TSA can pretty much do whatever they want. You can fight about it later, but you will get it sooner. Imagine if this happened when you were on your way to a funeral, or to a wedding, or the birth of a child, or something. That's when it goes from just unpleasant to awful.

The lesson to be learned here is: When you are packing for your trip, whether you are a first time traveler or Platinum Elite, pretend that you are a TSA supervisor and then ponder over what you have packed for 10 seconds. Remove anything that is in any way out of the ordinary.

Should you have to do this? No. But if I had it all to do over, I would have mailed my rubber band ball to myself, and avoided jail and my rubber band ball wouldn't be all cut up...
If I had been in your shoes I would have demanded an attorney immediately. If it were me I would also pursue the issue vigorously. I understand you just want to get on with your life and fear for your job. However, the buckling under and meekly allowing the TSA and LEO to get away with this just makes the problem worse.

You were falsely arrested and falsely imprisoned. Tomorrow it could be your mother, father, sister, brother, child.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I'm not sure why the November elections will get this to change. (Other than the current polls seeming to indicate that the Democrats approval rating is less bad than the Republicans approval rating.) If you can point me to some specific information, I would love to read it (and this is an honest request...no sarcasm or baiting intended!)
Sorry to rain on your parade, but Congress doesn't give a damn about the details of airport security. It is a post-9/11 checklist block that has been checked and forgotten.

It has nothing to do with who is in the White House or who has the majority in either houses of Congress.
It has nothing to do with congress (or at least not directly). I remember before the 2004 election, there was an increase in visible law enforcement presence in public places, on public transportation... and increased terrorism level, which had "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" to do with the election. Not surprisingly, after the election, all these "measures" went away.

Maybe it was coincidence, but "we shall see."
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by breny
If I had been in your shoes I would have demanded an attorney immediately. If it were me I would also pursue the issue vigorously. I understand you just want to get on with your life and fear for your job. However, the buckling under and meekly allowing the TSA and LEO to get away with this just makes the problem worse.

You were falsely arrested and falsely imprisoned. Tomorrow it could be your mother, father, sister, brother, child.

And in the OP's shoes, I would worry that the record of the arrest--even though the charges were dropped--could possibly jeopardize my current job and/or potential future employment elsewhere. Best to seek a lawyer to have the arrest itself expunged.

Even better would be if a false arrest / imprisonment lawsuit was successful, because then if asked by someone, "Have ever been arrested?" you could not only say, "No / it was expunged," but also, "Not only was it expunged, but a court found the department liable for false arrest, too!"
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
Angry Remember...

God, please VOTE and vote anything but Republican. (And I'm a registered Republican...

And OP, I'll send a few bucks for an attorney.. but PLEASE don't let this slide. 3000 Americans didn't die in 9/11 so we could trash our freedom.

Michael

Originally Posted by Palal
OP - definitely get an attorney and pursue this matter further! Which airport was this?

To everyone else, I have a feeling some of this nonsense will end in about 3 weeks, after the election.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Nonsense has a life of its own. But nonsense won't be stopped if those who abuse the positions of authority are not held to account for their actions and poor judgment.

I'd be pursuing the matter legally if in the OP's shoes -- if only because of that question: "Have you ever been arrested?"; if only because this is likely not to be the only time these particular government employees exhibit poor judgment and abuse their authority.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Cholula
You know, I’m not sure where any of these stories are going today but we’ll let them play out a bit longer,
I wonder if Kip Hawley is on the same drugs they were looking for...

As an American, I am humiliated that my government treated you like this. Elections are just a week away, make your voice heard LOUDLY. I know I am.

--PP
Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Punki
I am so sorry, eastwest. Harassment is the pits.

Back in 2002, I had a similar incident. Although I must admit that being marched at gunpoint out of the secured area is inherently preferable to spending a night in jail.

Contact the Wall Street Journal. They picked up my story, which led to some interesting phone calls from newspapers, radio and TV stations all over the country, and a noticeable improvement in the behavior of the security agents at the check point involved.
Thank you and thank you again for posting this. I've been trying find this particular incident and the WSJ link for some time. I'm compiling a database of instances of egregious behaviors that are well documented. FT's archives are getting tricky to search.

BTW, please anyone feel free to PM with incidents involving FTers over the past five years who got any kind of news coverage for post 9/11 security issues.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 31, 2006 at 11:09 pm
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Eastwest, I hope you will decide to pursue this matter to the fullest extent. It is obvious that you were falsely arrested. I hope as an airline employee that your company backs you up on this. It truly sucks what happened to you.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like an abuse of the cop's power to me. The fact that they got nice all of a sudden seems to indicate that they realized they were wrong too. The little niceties from the hostage taker - this is just how stockholm syndrome works.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Doppy
Sounds like an abuse of the cop's power to me. The fact that they got nice all of a sudden seems to indicate that they realized they were wrong too. The little niceties from the hostage taker - this is just how stockholm syndrome works.
The people doing the intimidating, like hostage-taking terrorists and others, are winning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.