Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

NYT: Extensive Tests Led to New Carry-On Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYT: Extensive Tests Led to New Carry-On Rules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by justageek
Someone really needs to do something to get the word out about how BAA/UK is ruining air travel for everyone.
Possibly, but we DO need to get the word out that BAA has nothing at all to do with security policy decisions in the UK. It's the Department for Transport (DfT) over there that is (roughly) equivalent to the TSA.

Despite the 'authority' bit in its name, BAA simply runs the airports and yes, implements whatever security is mandated by the DfT.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Possibly, but we DO need to get the word out that BAA has nothing at all to do with security policy decisions in the UK. It's the Department for Transport (DfT) over there that is (roughly) equivalent to the TSA.

Despite the 'authority' bit in its name, BAA simply runs the airports and yes, implements whatever security is mandated by the DfT.
Yes, my bad for conflating the two.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The current bans are so full of contradictions and loopholes that to think they make us safer at all is questionable reasoning at best. If the tests taken to arrive at the current policy is considered "extensive," it really calls into question for me the skills and intelligence and thinking of those arranging, conducting, and interpreting the tests.

I can think of countless ways to still get a bomb onto a plane, with enough explosives to bring one down and requiring only one person to do so (although if I was the one doing operational planning, I'd opt for two so as to have a backup in case one doesn't make it onboard with everything intact). If I--someone simply with a small degree of explosives knowledge and a fair amount of imagination--can come up with several such scenarios, then surely practiced terrorists can as well.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond

Now feel free to correct me, but my understanding is that DfT makes the baseline rules and then leaves it to BAA (and other operators) to implement them. The DfT does not prevent BAA from instituting stricter rules for the airports that it runs. For example, I do not believe that London Luton or London City airports have the same restrictions in effect that the BAA run airports do. (vis a vis allowed liquids). I think the primary issue is that BAA runs the checkpoints and can allow less than the DfT allows, but not more.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Now feel free to correct me, but my understanding is that DfT makes the baseline rules and then leaves it to BAA (and other operators) to implement them. The DfT does not prevent BAA from instituting stricter rules for the airports that it runs. For example, I do not believe that London Luton or London City airports have the same restrictions in effect that the BAA run airports do. (vis a vis allowed liquids).
Yep, all UK airports: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp

The BAA does indeed implement the rules, and there is a wide feeling that the implementation of the recent changes was a c*ck-up (as the Brits say). To wit, this quote from the head of BAA seems to make it clear who is responsible; and what the BAA actually thinks of it.
BAA's chief executive officer for Heathrow, Tony Douglas, added to pressure on the government, claiming the DfT measures were "not sustainable".

"If this is maintained we are likely to continue to see extremely long queues and regrettably even more flights cancelled," he said. "Quite simply, I don't know how long it's likely to go on, but it's clearly a set of measures that are unprecedented and by virtue of what they've come in to enforce, they're not sustainable measures."
Old Oct 5, 2006, 4:28 pm

Yep, all UK airports: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp

The BAA does indeed implement the rules, and there is a wide feeling that the implementation of the recent changes was a c*ck-up (as the Brits say). To wit, this quote from the head of BAA seems to make it clear who is responsible; and what the BAA actually thinks of it.

True, but then why do BAA limit the esential medications to 50mL and the other airports (LTN) not place such a volume limiation on the essential medications. The 50mL limit is essentailly 3Tbsp of liquid or 1.5 doses of pepto bismol. (which will do you a lot of good on a 20 hour flight) Further, I didn't see on the DfT page a ban on liquids of flights to the US. This seems to me to be a BAA ban, which the DfT page indicates that different airports can have different rules.
These are the requirements set down by the Department for Transport. Airlines and Airports may have additional measures in place, and passengers are strongly advised to check the website of their carrier or airport before travelling.
Thus I think that for purposes of the liquid ban and luggage limitations I think the policies may be both DfT and BAA, as BAA can implement whatever it wants that is more restrictive.

The statement from the BAA guy makes sense on this as well. He has been stated somewhere else saying that "relaxation" of the ban such as the method in the US woudl make the checkpoint much more confusing. Thus BAA are going to stay with a ban as it is easier to enforce than the other approaches. BAA have also said that if they were going to allow liquids past the checkpoint in limited amounts, they were demanding relief in other areas. So to me what it is saying is that BAA are willing to allow limited liquids if they get a relief elsewhere, otherwise they are going with an all or nothing policy.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:44 am
Suspended

More contradictions?

The article that is the subject of this thread states:

In a canyon in New Mexico, technicians detonated beaker after beaker of liquid explosives. In laboratories in Florida and New Jersey, scientists concocted dangerous brews. In drugstores and supermarkets in the Washington area, government officials shopped for tiny containers of shaving cream, shampoo and toothpaste...

The revised checkpoint rules announced last week by American, Canadian and European authorities were the result of that frenzied effort, Transportation Security Administration officials said.
However, the TSA says in this memo,

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/special_needs_memo.pdf

"Since the initial total ban on liquids, gels and aerosols took effect on August 10, we have learned enough from the UK investigation to say with confidence that small, travel size liquids are safe to brign through security checkpoints in limited numbers..."

Did all the testing referred to in the NY Times article really take place? I wonder what history will have to say about all of this stupidity.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
I love the picture of a bunch of government agents out in the desert, blowing up toothpaste.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:58 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I wonder if they evaluated what volume of various nerve agents would cause issues, too? I would suspect even toiletry-sized bottles of sarin would be dangerous to a plane. And we had plenty of posters defending the TSA early-on after 8/10, claiming terrorists might make chlorine gas via mixing household chemicals (which, IME, doesn't even require liquids be brought onboard--several pool tablets + an acidic beverage from the plane's normal service would do the same) These threats still exist, and IMHO are at least as dangerous if not far moreso than liquid explosives, yet nothing is done to address them.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by DENchick
I love the picture of a bunch of government agents out in the desert, blowing up toothpaste.
For six weeks no less, we are to believe. Maybe it took them that long to actually get something to go bang.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I feel so much safer now that Homeland "Security" has done the R & D for the terrorists.

Constraint #1: You'll probably need two quarts.

As I recall, McVeigh & Nichols practiced out in the desert, too.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I feel so much safer now that Homeland "Security" has done the R & D for the terrorists.

Constraint #1: You'll probably need two quarts.

As I recall, McVeigh & Nichols practiced out in the desert, too.
Actually, it seems like from the EU FAQ's page you are probably close on the total size, as they have figured that over half the volume of the bag is wasted by the bottles and they assume that the groups will work together. Based on my assumption that they work in 4-5 person teams they would need over 4 quart bags that are 50% air to achieve this goal. That and they still need a large container to mix it in, which at least in the EU has been banned. (unless you can mix it in a 1.5 liter bottle of water)
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Actually, it seems like from the EU FAQ's page you are probably close on the total size, as they have figured that over half the volume of the bag is wasted by the bottles and they assume that the groups will work together. Based on my assumption that they work in 4-5 person teams they would need over 4 quart bags that are 50% air to achieve this goal. That and they still need a large container to mix it in, which at least in the EU has been banned. (unless you can mix it in a 1.5 liter bottle of water)
It doesn't require 4-5 persons to get airside; 1-2 persons is sufficient. And larger containers can be procured or assembled airside or even in-flight.

These rules are really idiotic ... based on the assumption of idiocy, relied upon by idiots-in-practice. Government incompetence is a key part of the dog and pony show.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And larger containers can be procured or assembled airside or even in-flight.
How about an inflatable travel neck pillow? Should be able to get a couple quarts in one of them.

They'll be banned, just watch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.