Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The media just doesn't get it

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:17 pm

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
This morning, on one of the local Houston newscasts, they showed a clip regarding the full-body xray machines... didn't see the whole thing. (too busy with making coffee) Cut to the anchors sitting around discussing the current restrictions and privacy issues. One anchor was somewhat ambivalent. One anchor made the almost verbatim statement "It makes us safer so it's good" and the weather guy just rolled his eyes and didn't exactly say what he was obviously thinking. He said something more like "it's stupid...". Guess the FCC regs kept him from being more specific

'we report, you decide' can be quite different from 'we editorialize, you should pay attention'

I wish that FT was required reading for the media.

Last edited by Jeffie; Aug 15, 2006 at 2:31 pm Reason: clarification of clip
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
"'Give away' the answer to a terrorist"?!? The terrorists already know what they need to mix up to blow up planes, or almost as positive an outcome for them, cripple airline traffic in the Western world. ...
Yes, the terrorists know, but the chemistry geek at the local high school might not, and who wants to give him easy access to start experimenting in the family garage. Pretty soon some kid will figure out how to fire a 2L bottle of diet coke at the moon using Mentos - the last thing we need is some dingbat punk's car taking out half a Walmart while he's inside stocking up on M&Ms.

Then again, most of these recipes are available ready-made on the Internet, so if someone wants to find out, it's easy to do so.

As for the media? It's not about the truth anymore...it's about sales and access. They want to be exploitive and sensational to generate sales, yet they don't want to be critical or confrontational and lose their access to the 'inside'.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I was astonished that nearly 50% of those polled are okay with the liquids ban. Almost everyone I see has some sort of beverage (usually bottled water) with them. They must be polling people who fly never/rarely? Fortunately, the polling has also shown that a flat-out carryon ban just won't fly.
Unfortunately, you are wrong. The cover story in today's USA Today (hey, I am on the road, so no flaming my journalistic taste!) was on the rage of frequent travelers about the idiotic liquid ban. At the end of the article, some twerp travel coordinator named David Gregory promoted the carry-on ban by saying we do not have a right to carry anything on board. The article referenced a Newsweek poll in which 26% "definitely favor" and 18% "probably favor" a complete carry-on ban. What amount of airline revenue do you suppose those 44% generate? I'll guess less than 3%...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeffie
This morning, on one of the local Houston newscasts, they showed a clip regarding the full-body xray machines... didn't see the whole thing. (too busy with making coffee) Cut to the anchors sitting around discussing the current restrictions and privacy issues. One anchor was somewhat ambivalent. One anchor made the almost verbatim statement "It makes us safer so it's good" and the weather guy just rolled his eyes and didn't exactly say what he was obviously thinking. He said something more like "it's stupid...". Guess the FCC regs kept him from being more specific

'we report, you decide' can be quite different from 'we editorialize, you should pay attention'

I wish that FT was required reading for the media.

I'm interested to know if the clip showed a picture of what the TSA goon will see, i.e., a naked body. When this kind of item was in the papers and on TV around the NYC area a few weeks ago, there were no pictures shown - just somebody going into the machine.

I guess the x-ray itself wasn't shown because it was x-rated and not something to be shown during family viewing time - either that or they were afraid that Ma and Pa Kettle would finally be driven over to the other side when they realize that their lovely nubile Polly Ann is going to be seen naked by some guy hidden behind a wall.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by doober

I guess the x-ray itself wasn't shown because it was x-rated and not something to be shown during family viewing time -.
The 'subject' put a piece of metal down the front of his britches... nothing was 'seen' but it did detect some other stuff that was 'hidden' like a bottle of gatorade in his pocket. VERY intrusive.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
In general, the media should not be interviewing people who are unaffected by the new rules. This includes infrequent (or non) travelers, FAs, and pilots. I'm sorry, but you folks just don't deserve a say in what affects the rest of us on a weekly basis.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:42 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Some reporters are interviewing the frequent flyer and not the general public... see this thread... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590777

Originally Posted by justageek
In general, the media should not be interviewing people who are unaffected by the new rules. This includes infrequent (or non) travelers, FAs, and pilots. I'm sorry, but you folks just don't deserve a say in what affects the rest of us on a weekly basis.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeffie
The 'subject' put a piece of metal down the front of his britches... nothing was 'seen' but it did detect some other stuff that was 'hidden' like a bottle of gatorade in his pocket. VERY intrusive.

A bottle of Gatorade "hidden" in his pocket? A 4 oz. bottle, I presume.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 4:01 pm

A bottle of Gatorade "hidden" in his pocket? A 4 oz. bottle, I presume.
No, it was full-sized. Looked like a 24oz 'sports bottle'. This was a 'demo', not an actual pax attempting to smuggle contraband.

There was something else that he hid, and it was barely discernable, but could be spotted with some training. I didn't catch the beginning of the piece, so I don't know what it was.

The manufacturer was Rapiscan, same folks who make a lot of the WTMDs.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
I'm interested to know if the clip showed a picture of what the TSA goon will see, i.e., a naked body. When this kind of item was in the papers and on TV around the NYC area a few weeks ago, there were no pictures shown - just somebody going into the machine.

I guess the x-ray itself wasn't shown because it was x-rated and not something to be shown during family viewing time - either that or they were afraid that Ma and Pa Kettle would finally be driven over to the other side when they realize that their lovely nubile Polly Ann is going to be seen naked by some guy hidden behind a wall.

I have been a Radiologic Technologist for 24 years now. Let me tell you what I think we all know. It all looks the same. You've seen 1 penis or vagina you've seen them all.

Who the heck cares of some TSAer is going to get his/her jollies looking at a near naked person. Believe me when I tell you. I've seen my share and I don't care.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trvlr64
I have been a Radiologic Technologist for 24 years now. Let me tell you what I think we all know. It all looks the same. You've seen 1 penis or vagina you've seen them all.

Who the heck cares of some TSAer is going to get his/her jollies looking at a near naked person. Believe me when I tell you. I've seen my share and I don't care.
However, a medical x-ray is done voluntarily and is read, hopefully, by someone who is a medical professional not some TSA goon who can't get a job at McDonald's. Big difference.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
However, a medical x-ray is done voluntarily and is read, hopefully, by someone who is a medical professional not some TSA goon who can't get a job at McDonald's. Big difference.

There are a lot of retired or soon to be retired x-ray techs out there that I'm sure would go work for the TSA. Sitting on your behind looking at a monitor is a lot easier than lifting patients all day long and pushing around a portable x-ray unit.

:-:

And I'm not afraid of someone looking at "my stuff". I'm quite proud of it

Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:37 pm

When it comes to my privacy, I trust my doctor. Doctors have a notion of medical ethics and patient confidentiality, and the profession as a whole takes their responsibilities seriously. Moreover, I can choose my doctor; if I'm unhappy with my doctor, I can switch to some other medical service provider.

When it comes to privacy, I don't trust the TSA. From CAPPS, to Secure Flight, to Privacy Act compliance, to ID checking, the TSA leadership seems to be consistently hostile to passenger privacy. Moreover, if I'm unhappy with the TSA, I don't exactly have a choice; it's not like I can switch to some other airport screening provider.

Frankly, there's no comparison.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:21 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Touchless Cavity Search

Perhaps if they called these backscatter x-rays by a more accurate name, people would understand the level of privacy that is being invaded. If the new backscatter x-rays were called "Touchless Cavity Searches" - maybe people wouldn't be so eager to submit to them in the name of safety.

I've seen the scans that these machines produce -- they are quite detailed and you can see into every crevice of your body.

Frankly the TSA screener doesn't need to know if I'm on my period. Period.

--Sioux
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:46 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by trvlr64
And I'm not afraid of someone looking at "my stuff". I'm quite proud of it
Don't worry, most people grow out of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.