Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SSSS'ed from HKG to SIN on UA 895 - Give me a break!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)

Hello everyone, after reviewing some boarding passes (I collect them - ALL of them) from some flights I took last year, I realized that this past summer, I got SSSS'ed on UA 895 from HKG to SIN. I was not inbound from North America and was flying only this segment, so for once, I really had nothing whatsoever to do with the US other than the fact that I was flying a US airline.

I was travelling on a one way ticket, which I know will get you marked for sure when travelling within the US, but I didn't know that intra-Asian flights on US airlines got the same treatment. In any case, I seem to have escaped the worst of it - I certainly don't recall security being any tougher than usual on that particular trip, so at least the SSSS rule doesn't seem to really be enforced abroad.

Still, I find it strange that the TSA would try to enforce one of their most ridiculous rules on a flight between two airports where they should by all rights have no jurisdiction whatsoever. Could it be that this was just a product of a standardized UA system worldwide?

Had I been given the full SSSS treatment at HKG, ridiculous US policies would have influenced an entirely international transaction (i.e. a German citizen (myself) buying a ticket from a US carrier between the sovereign countries Hong Kong/China and Singapore) I'm curious as to what other travellers think of this, and whether you think SSSS should apply in this case.

As I said, the staff at HKG seemingly couldn't care less b/c security was just the usual routine - does this make it any better?

I look forward to your thoughts on this subject!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Flights on US air carriers are subject to FAA guidelines, irrespective of whether you are originating/terminating in the US. I had the same treatment when flying between MNL and NRT recently on NW. It's the drawback of flying with US airlines on intra-Asia routes.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:03 pm

alex:

To understand WHY you were so SSSS'd, you'd have to be given criteria as to why ANYONE is SSSS'd. I'm an American citizen, and I'm told the SSI criteria comprise more than "100 parameters". Even at age 22, the translation should be obvious to you:

SSSS: "Because We Can".

The public example made of you during the process becomes a signless warning to others, serving no function as to why you're publicly outraged, and even a United Airlines TA on Maui with the intellect of a gifted 11-year-old has the absolute power to do this to... I mean, FOR you. And you cannot know why.

Any questions?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happened to me too

I took this flight last year, same situation...HKG-SIN no connection from US. The ticket didn't have the SSS on it but the rent a cop on the jetway pulled me aside for extra screening...probably just to meet a quota for pax screened.

Anyhow, after going thru this and realizing how many choices I have flying from HKG-SIN I decided never to take UA again on the route. No biggy for me and probably not one for them but it makes me happier not to risk going thru the B.S. just to fly UA when so many other nice options are available. After all this route features the 2 best airlines in the world (UA is not one of them! )
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Anyhow, after going thru this and realizing how many choices I have flying from HKG-SIN I decided never to take UA again on the route. No biggy for me and probably not one for them but it makes me happier not to risk going thru the B.S. just to fly UA when so many other nice options are available. After all this route features the 2 best airlines in the world (UA is not one of them! )
Agreed, though UA also seem to have realized this since they are now the cheapest option for both R/T and O/W for those stuck in the back of the bus. I would have gladly flown SQ or CX (the airlines I'm guessing you're referring to ) but they were both significantly more expensive for my ticket on my travel date.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you didn't get secondary screening, even though you had SSSS on your boarding pass?

Please report to the nearest screening facility immediately, or I'll have to report you to "the party."
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
So you didn't get secondary screening, even though you had SSSS on your boarding pass?

Please report to the nearest screening facility immediately, or I'll have to report you to "the party."
I don't remember security being any tougher than usual - and I think I would have remembered the security equivalent of a root canal.

So no, I don't think I did get the additional screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.