Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Please check your brain at the ticket counter...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: TSA

and take your AR or M16 Upper reciever and 5 clips with you to the checkpoint in your carry on!
Had one of those come through Wednesday. What do some people think? There are signs at the CP that warn you, "if you own a firearm, you are strongly advised to inspect your luggage now to be certain that it is not present in your carry on."
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta MM
How does anyone "forget" they have an M16 with them? I occasionally read statistics about "tests" of airline security. Is it possible some of these type of situations are actually intentional tests of the system (hopefully by the TSA or other government agencies).
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:46 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Granted, it was the receiver and not the whole firearm, but sheesh, still! The ATF treats receivers as firearms, and anyone trying to travel with one should know they can't take ammo through security, either. Idjits, to say the least.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:38 am

It's not uncommon at all - we just had a lady who forgot her loaded revolver in her backpack, with the folding grip... Coincidentally she also had an open warrant in Colorado...
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
There are signs at the CP that warn you, "if you own a firearm, you are strongly advised to inspect your luggage now to be certain that it is not present in your carry on."
The average consumer is bombarded with 75,000 to 100,000 signs or advertisements per day.

Plus, people in their own industry or at their own job will notice things like that many more times over than the average person.

The guy is an idiot for bringing a firearm, no question. But we're not all drones that read every single thing we see.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
To play devil's advocate for a minute, what is the harm in bringing a receiver to a checkpoint? Without the barrel, a receiver cannot expel a projectile from the cartridge with any significant degree of force. OP did not explicitly state whether the clips contained live ammunition. If ammo present, then potentially problematic, because theoretically the receiver/firing pin assembly could launch a projectile. There would be little if any accuracy, but in an airliner cabin, pinpoint accuracy is not critical.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:00 pm

Programs: unemployment
You cannot bring any part of a firearm through the checkpoint. Where the heck has everyone been for the last 4 years. Not loaded, unloaded, part of a gun or whole, or a realistic looking replica. No ifs and's or buts. Somethings are judgement calls, this is not one of them. Unless you have lived on a deserted island for the last 4 years, if you try to do this, your an idiot.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
The average consumer is bombarded with 75,000 to 100,000 signs or advertisements per day.

Plus, people in their own industry or at their own job will notice things like that many more times over than the average person.

The guy is an idiot for bringing a firearm, no question. But we're not all drones that read every single thing we see.
I don't know what airport this is but I sure can't recall seeing any sign like that at any airport I've been through. I don't know if it's through dismissing it as irrelevant (as I own no firearm), absence or simply overlooking it.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:38 pm

Firearm parts can be used to put together a firearm...

I have been witness to several checkpoint firearm incidents. And each time the passenger swears they didn't know that they had a loaded weapon in their bag. And I believe them based on their reactions.

This has caused me to re-evaluate my opinion about gun control. The best anti-gun control argument is that people should be responsible for their own protection. And most gun owners are responsible citizens.

But then we have these idiots who forget that they are carrying a loaded weapon. A responsible gun owner knows where his gun is at all times. You can't be a responsible gun owner and accidently try to bring a gun or firearm parts through the checkpoint.

The question becomes how much do we restrict the rights of responsible citizens to protect ourselves against people who would not treat their weapons with the respect they deserve.

Angry Dan
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:04 pm

And how much do we trust a militia in an airplane at 30,000 feet?..
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by n5667
And how much do we trust a militia in an airplane at 30,000 feet?..
If we are talking about an American militia equipped with firearms, far more than 19 Muslim terrorists armed with boxcutters.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
If we are talking about an American militia equipped with firearms, far more than 19 Muslim terrorists armed with boxcutters.
Yes, I can imagine how well it'd turn out, though if a trained LEO is shooting people in the back, I can only imagine what a posse would do...

I don't think boxcutters will do much against reinforced cockpit doors - but if they are capable of defeating the door, perhaps it's not reinforced enough...

But then again, why wouldn't those 19 Muslims not be armed as well?..
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:31 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I've seen people carry weapons on board before, on my last flight this blond boarded the plane with a couple of bazookas that caught everybody's attention
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:32 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 1, 2008 at 9:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.