Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are adult or child bulletproof vests allowed? (worn, carry-on, or checked-luggage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are adult or child bulletproof vests allowed? (worn, carry-on, or checked-luggage)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:27 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Hey Haven't you watched TV lately?

Originally Posted by alanR
Am I the only one who would be highly suspicious about anyone trying to get on a flight wearing a bullet-proof vest?
Those are most likely to be a federal prison inmate transfer.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by alanR
Am I the only one who would be highly suspicious about anyone trying to get on a flight wearing a bullet-proof vest?

You have to understand that most on here do not really want to do many of the things mentioned. They just like to get worked into a lather about whether or not Bush and the TSA are trying to squash their God given right to wear their boxers on their heads. Most of the banter should be taken in small doses and viewed with a sense of humor.

Have a great day all!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hiltonhead
God given right to wear their boxers on their heads
Does this God given right extend to bullet-proof boxers? How about briefs?

Last edited by jib71; Sep 12, 2005 at 6:08 am
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:52 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Aren't bulletproof vest illegal in a lot of states???

I guess that would be my first question before trying to transport one anywhere. After I got that question answered then concern yourself with what's going to happen when you bring it into the airport.

Also, very curious--- why would a CHILD be in a position that it would need a bulletproof vest?????
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by KathyMoore

Also, I know hunting rifles have to unloaded and locked in secure/approved container to be checked in as luggage, but what about hunting bows/crossbows? Can they simply be packed in a regular suitcase and then checked?

Thanks!
I suggest checking the TSA web site -- but really do you want to do anything that will flag you for doing something a bit unusual ?

Bob H
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
?????

Bart said "just as there is nothing that prohibits handcuffs in carry-on luggage."

Handcuffs are cop "tools", so why would they not be banned under the "no tools" rule?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Bart said "just as there is nothing that prohibits handcuffs in carry-on luggage."

Handcuffs are cop "tools", so why would they not be banned under the "no tools" rule?
Some screeners do try to prohibit handcuffs. They are not prohibited items. What else do you want me to say?

Now if you have the kind with the furry cuffs.....
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
OK - with that kind of logic where do you recommend we stop? A laptop is a businessman's tool and a violin is a musician's tool. Shouldn't we ban those as well?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
Aren't bulletproof vest illegal in a lot of states???
I'm pretty sure that possession of body armor by a civilian who is not a convicted felon is legal everywhere in the United States. Many states have enhanced penalties if body armor is worn during the commission of a felony.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan
I guess I learned something...I didn't even know they made bulletproof vests for children.
It doesn't surprise me. They're made for dogs, too (presumably for working police dogs, though nothing should prohibit one from buying one for a pet, either). In certain parts of the world, I can in fact see that having a bullet-proof vest for your kids would be almost a necessity--so someone has to make them, and if they can find a secondary market where they are less necessary, I guess that's good business.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
I think that some states prohibit civilian possession of bulletproof vests/body armor. IIRC, such laws resulted from the shootout in L.A. where bank robbers used fully automatic weapons and wore body armor. LAPD had a difficult time thwarting robbers.
I wonder how many people in CA after that incident screamed, "Why aren't assault weapons banned?" without ever stopping to look and see that CA does in fact ban the very weapons those guys were using (not to mention the fact that they were also in violation of the NFA for possessing unregistered automatic weapons). Of course, banning bullet-proof vests would strike me as just the kind of knee-jerk reaction I'd expect with that incident... but I'm rambling into OMNI-land now.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:25 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by SJC1K
I'm pretty sure that possession of body armor by a civilian who is not a convicted felon is legal everywhere in the United States. Many states have enhanced penalties if body armor is worn during the commission of a felony.

Okay. Thank you so much! That answers one question.

My other question is: In what situation would an adult make it necessary for a child to need to wear a bulletproof vest?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:35 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Okay. Thank you so much! That answers one question.

My other question is: In what situation would an adult make it necessary for a child to need to wear a bulletproof vest?
Apparently for the OP, Flying.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
In what situation would an adult make it necessary for a child to need to wear a bulletproof vest?
Paranoia?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
I wonder how many people in CA after that incident screamed, "Why aren't assault weapons banned?" without ever stopping to look and see that CA does in fact ban the very weapons those guys were using (not to mention the fact that they were also in violation of the NFA for possessing unregistered automatic weapons). Of course, banning bullet-proof vests would strike me as just the kind of knee-jerk reaction I'd expect with that incident... but I'm rambling into OMNI-land now.

The "very weapons" the Romanian immigrant bank robbers were
using during that dramatic bank robbery and shootout in L.A.
some years ago were fully AUTOMATIC weapons, which were
outlawed in the 1930's. With the proper federal permits, you can
still own them, after jumping through all the hoops....it's not easy.

The 1989 gun grabbing legislation that was passed in "Kalifornia"
banned new sales of a list of 19 SEMI automatic rifles, which
a few years later was expanded. Existing semi automatic rifles
were allowed if the owner paid a fee and registered them by a
certain date.....many people did not.

Interestingly enough, during the bank shootout in North
Hollywood, the cops went into a local gun shop pleading for
additional firepower, and the gun shop owner accomodated the
LAPD's request. It's lucky for the LAPD the gun shop owner
didn't say, "Sorry, but there's a 10 day waiting period!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.