Wiki Posts
Search

Flying SSSStandby

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flying SSSStandby

Does flying standby on an earlier outbound flight earn you an automatic SSSS?

There's a big difference in airfare on an itinerary for next month if I book the 4pm flight, but I want to take the 10am flight.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No. I have never gotten SSSSed for a standby flight, and I fly standby quite often.

Bruce
Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by LessO2
Does flying standby on an earlier outbound flight earn you an automatic SSSS?

There's a big difference in airfare on an itinerary for next month if I book the 4pm flight, but I want to take the 10am flight.

Thanks in advance.
Never received an SSSS on a (UA) standby here either, and I do it a lot. Also don't forget that you can (and in fact probably will) get through security in the morning using the BP for your 4 p.m. flight and then get a standby/DM card for the earlier flight. So by the time you get in the standby system, you are done with TSA.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by studentff
Never received an SSSS on a (UA) standby here either, and I do it a lot. Also don't forget that you can (and in fact probably will) get through security in the morning using the BP for your 4 p.m. flight and then get a standby/DM card for the earlier flight. So by the time you get in the standby system, you are done with TSA.
I've gotten SSSS on standby several times on UA, but I credit all my UA flights to my US Airways frequent flyer account. Having a UA frequent flyer number in the record should help lessen your chances of haraSSSSment.

That said, you can just check in for the 4 p.m. flight as always, use that BP to clear TSA and then ask to be put on the standby list at the gate or RCC---anywhere past security.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:22 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
That said, you can just check in for the 4 p.m. flight as always, use that BP to clear TSA and then ask to be put on the standby list at the gate or RCC---anywhere past security.
If you check in online, you don't have to wait to get past security to request standby on the earlier flight -----just don't relinquish your boarding pass for the 4 PM flight.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:09 pm

Programs: TSA Reanimation Program
I know it's stupid but just so you know even if you are past security you can still get stuck with selectee screening if your flying on standby. If you go through the checkpoint and are issued another boarding pass on the other side that marks you as a selectee the airline will often send you back to the checkpoint to get checked. Don't ask me why, I would imagine this is another situation where the airline could deselect you but what do I know?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:21 am

Programs: TSA
hey

Flying Frontier out of DEN? I would say that you are 90% going to be SSSS. IF not the odds drop. If you are UA pax probably 50-50.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eyecue
Flying Frontier out of DEN? I would say that you are 90% going to be SSSS. IF not the odds drop. If you are UA pax probably 50-50.
Yes. Just another reason not to fly the low-cost carriers...better chance of SSSS. I've been SSSSed every time I've flown Independence, Southwest, and JetBlue, so I stick to the legacy carriers unless there's a huge (>$500) price difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.