Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA screening checked bags badly

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:40 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I don't see why you say that, nor the relevance. Our private property should be treated decently no matter where it travels.
And yet, in your initial post, you had this to say: "I've always (and always will) locked my checked bags, as there are plenty of people who might steal items otherwise. Not locking bags is, IMHO, as stupid as not locking your car."
Make up your mind.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Bart
Quick "war story:" when I was deployed in the Balkans, we often received "suspicious" packages in the mail. The SOP was that if a package wasn't claimed immediately or if it wasn't addressed properly (based on certain characteristics associated with mail-bombs), then the package was taken to a field and detonated. The EOD (explosive ordnance detachment) ended up blowing up a lot of boxes of cookies.
good day,

bart, you generally post interesting comments relevant to airport screening. please save the war stories for your grandchildren.

there is no comparison between a "suspicious" package (for a soldier who may or may not have been informed of its being shipped) arriving in a combat zone with an individual presenting a bag in person at an airport.

in the latter situation both the bag and the individual are available for immediate inspection.

if only tsa would think through things [please refrain from reminding me how you work with what you have . . . your organization is the one that has set up the regulations, and it is that same organization that insists on (a) demeaning travellers; and, (b) ignoring common sense].
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Can TSA bring the bag out of the restricted area to a location where a passenger can observe the inspection procedure? Theoretically. However, whenever we page passengers just to provide us with the combination or key to a locked bag, it takes a while before they respond, and some don't respond at all.
Bart, in FLL I am given the choice of waiting for my bags to be screened. In TLV I am not given that choice -- I have to be there.

I have no problem with the FLL system. If I am willing to walk away from my bags, then it is my problem if they are opened and items are damaged or stolen. Personally, I prefer locking my bags well and staying there with them until I get the okay.

Oddly, I have never had to open my bags in FLL or TLV but the majority of times I have flown out of MIA, SAV, or PBI -- where the bags are checked behind closed doors -- they have been opened.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travis bickle
good day,

bart, you generally post interesting comments relevant to airport screening. please save the war stories for your grandchildren.

there is no comparison between a "suspicious" package (for a soldier who may or may not have been informed of its being shipped) arriving in a combat zone with an individual presenting a bag in person at an airport.

in the latter situation both the bag and the individual are available for immediate inspection.

if only tsa would think through things [please refrain from reminding me how you work with what you have . . . your organization is the one that has set up the regulations, and it is that same organization that insists on (a) demeaning travellers; and, (b) ignoring common sense].
I didn't realize you were the webmaster. Please accept my apologies.

By the way, it's called humor. Someone mentioned that suspicious luggage is detonated, and I thought I'd share an experience with those who appreciate a little bit of humor now and then. Sorry if it didn't apply to you.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:36 am

I didn't realize you were the webmaster. Please accept my apologies.

By the way, it's called humor. Someone mentioned that suspicious luggage is detonated, and I thought I'd share an experience with those who appreciate a little bit of humor now and then. Sorry if it didn't apply to you.

HAHAHAHA!!!

NOW THATS SOME HUMOR! ^
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:06 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I do find it curious that sometimes people have complained that they have to take their bags over to the TSA and wait with them (all the while wasting time to get through screening), and other times they complain because the bags are checked behind the scenes.

I have my problems with the TSA--many of them!--but this is certainly an example of inconsistency among we the traveling public, too The first thing I'd like to see is the TSA actually getting with the program on their own "approved" locks so they recognize the logo, don't badger me to stay there with it "since it's locked," don't cut or break the approved locks, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.