Search

Security Observations from Recent MR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:14 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Security Observations from Recent MR

I took a quick comfort/mileage run over the weekend. Even though it was out-and-back in the same day, between transferring airports in NYC, going outside security at SMF to find someone to issue my return BPs, or having dinner with friends at LAX, I went through security four times.

DCA--typical shoe carnival, with the TSA folks saying, "You MUST remove your shoes. Everyone, remove your shoes!" etc. I'm used to this to the point of being a zombie and doing it even before they ask, unfortunately.

JFK--caught the bus over from LGA... the UA/British Airways terminal security is not bad. Not a shoe carnival at all, and they were quick & efficient at getting people through security. I was pleasantly surprised having dealt with the grumpiest and most stereotypical-NYC'ers at LGA in the past. I wonder if it would have been different had I gone through on my US-issued ticket stock first, rather than trading it for UA stock at the counter? "No, sir, US Air doesn't depart from this terminal--you can't come through security!"

SMF--no lines at all, and security was pleasant. No shoe carnival there; the older gentleman simply asked if I had a laptop, to which I replied, "It's in the bin on the bottom; I'll put it through separately when I get to the machine." He grinned and said, "You must be a frequent flier!" and wished me a good weekend.

LAX--had planned to use the elite line at the end of T6, but my friend dropped me off back at T7. The normal T7 security wasn't bad, although with even the short line we had (maybe 6 people), they seemed overwhelmed. There were paper signs up saying, "The security at Port-au-Prince does not meet international standards," for whatever reason. Pax in front of me asked if they were in the right line, to which I pointed to the sign that said, "To all UA gates" and explained T6-8 were all connected airside, if a bit of a walk.

I'd never cleared LAX security before despite having transited LAX many times, and I do wonder what it would be like during a big rush since women in wheelchairs and a guy with a cane were causing them huge headaches to figure out how to get them through the checkpoint. They also let the bags really pile up on the end of the belt while keeping us for seemingly no reason from going through the WTMD; I was worried my laptop was going to walk off or be knocked down. They were doing a full-fledged shoe carnival, sending shoes back through for pax who had already gone through the WTMD, including sandals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.