Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Wonderful summary of Carry-on Items Permitted by Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum

My rant is more that I get hassled by private security folks, supposedly hired by the airlines, before I reach the TSA folks. These all-too-young folks, who do not appear to have traveling experience, believe that a daily newspaper still in its bag is a "carry-on", or a just-used wet umbrella, for that matter. My recourse? Stuff it in my coat/jacket pocket, and the TSA folks don't bother me when I get to them. Funny... the newspaper taken OUT of the bag is not a carry-on to the same private pre-TSA folks... at least in my experience.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/tra...allowances.htm
is a WONDERFUL help to determining what each airline's policy is for those carry-on items, and WHAT IS EXEMPTED from the count. I'd bookmark it. Ignore the PanAm bag picture at the top, and head for the table at the bottom of the page. The airline names in the table are highlighted links to their websites, , specifically their baggage policy pages.

My personal favorite is the Southwest, which is VERY GOOD. They don't address reading material, but kindly DO mention that overcoats and accessories are OK; meal food is OK, etc. Now if I only could convince the pre-TSA private folks that the meal in disposable packaging is NOT a carryon, without having to drag out the Southwest page that says THEY exempt it. That page is now getting dog-eared in my bag.

Some other policies are not explicit, and are weak. Continental is linked to the checked page, not the carryon page. It is better than it was, however. When you move up and over to Carryon, it is not clear that overcoats are exempted for example. They should do their homework, comparing with the other carriers.

Don't let anyone tell you it is TSA rules, as the CFR121 (FAR Part 121 for air carriers), under the FAA jurisdiction that determine the count or exemptions. The FAA rule only talks about overhead bins being closed prior to takeoff, general safety stuff, etc. So, it truly resides with the airlines, and what they file in their Domestic General Tariff, under their Baggage rule, with ATPCO, the tariff publisher for domestic airlines. Same thing for IATA rules for International travel...

Last edited by flyzabit; Jan 17, 2005 at 12:56 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:10 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I remember from a few months ago another post although I forget which catebory of FLyertalk, about someone complaining that a ticket agent at the main terminal check in counter was making a fuss about the same topic, saying that a food package counted as a carry=on and the pax was told to check the suitcase or discard the food.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Iand the pax was told to check the suitcase or discard the food.
Maybe the gate agent was hungry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.