Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Handcuffing, patting down: is either appropriate for a five-year-old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

I saw this story on CNN and got to wondering.

From the story, in which a principal was suspended for asking police to handcuff a 5 year old student:

The boy's mother, Aroni Rucker, said Wednesday her son had trouble adjusting to his first year of school and may have been disruptive, but he did nothing to warrant such treatment.

"They put handcuffs on my baby," Rucker said. "That's for adults who murder and kill. He's 5. He's in kindergarten."

St. Louis police spokesman Richard Wilkes said the department was looking into the incident. "Handcuffing 5-year-olds is not a practice of the department," he said.

University spokesman Bob Samples, part of the sponsorship team, said only that "it's inappropriate to handcuff a 5-year-old."

--------------------

Okay, so why is it that everyone agrees handcuffing a child is terribly inappropriate, but patting down a 5-year-old like he's a drug dealer getting booked is just hunky-dory? Aren't both experiences similarly upsetting both to the child and to us as adults watching the process? As I see it, the main problem with handcuffing a young young child is that it paints the child as a criminal when he's at an impressionable age. Patting down a child in perfect imitation of what he'd see happening to criminals on a TV show like COPS would seem to do the same thing.

Or am I missing something here? There's no claim that handcuffing a child is damaging in any way other than psychologically, right?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:55 pm

Programs: TSA
answer

Okay, so why is it that everyone agrees handcuffing a child is terribly inappropriate, but patting down a 5-year-old like he's a drug dealer getting booked is just hunky-dory? Aren't both experiences similarly upsetting both to the child and to us as adults watching the process? As I see it, the main problem with handcuffing a young young child is that it paints the child as a criminal when he's at an impressionable age. Patting down a child in perfect imitation of what he'd see happening to criminals on a TV show like COPS would seem to do the same thing.

Or am I missing something here? There's no claim that handcuffing a child is damaging in any way other than psychologically, right?
ITs is believed that a terrorist would sacrifice a child to accomplish their goal. They would hide something on a child to attempt to avoid its detection. Hence children and babies get patted.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
ITs is believed that a terrorist would sacrifice a child to accomplish their goal. They would hide something on a child to attempt to avoid its detection. Hence children and babies get patted.
And possibly should ONLY IF THEY ALARM THE WTMD.

Patting them as a matter of course to maintain some BS political correctness garbage or becasue a broken computer system selected them to meet a quota is PATHATIC (and not what our founding fathers faught for).
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:30 am

ummm

Originally Posted by AArlington
And possibly should ONLY IF THEY ALARM THE WTMD.

Patting them as a matter of course to maintain some BS political correctness garbage or becasue a broken computer system selected them to meet a quota is PATHATIC (and not what our founding fathers faught for).
Im sure you have heard that we look for more than metal.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:43 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Unfortunately, this is correct. I truly do believe these low lifes would use a child as a ruse. Look at Hamas, they use adolescents as bombs. Getting some knucklehead to blow up his/her child or family is the next logical step. These are people who don't value thier own life, so obviuosly the lifes of other don't mean a thing as well.

That much said IF ANYONE IS GOING TO PAT DOWN MY KIDS I WILL NOT PREVENT THEM BUT WILL HAVE A COP CALLED OVER TO BE A WITNESS.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laguardiaguy
That much said IF ANYONE IS GOING TO PAT DOWN MY KIDS I WILL NOT PREVENT THEM BUT WILL HAVE A COP CALLED OVER TO BE A WITNESS.
I'm interested: I don't have any children, but why would you insist on bringing a cop over as a witness? You wouldn't demand that, or would you, for a patdown being conducted on your own person?

I'm just trying to figure out why handcuffing a kid is so objectionable. If we're allowed to pat kids down, I really don't see why we would say handcuffs are so much different. Both are treating the kid like he's a violent criminal. Both could seriously disturb a kid's psyche, leaving him wondering what he did that was so wrong.

If you're answering about terrorists and their tactics, you have completely missed the point of the question. I am not asking whether someone might plant something dangerous on a kid. I"m asking what is so different between handcuffing and patdowns that one is allowed and the other gets a principal ejected from his job for applying it to a kid. Your answer must be of the form:
handcuffing is more damaging to a kid than patdowns because...
OR
handcuffing a 5-year-old is okay because ....
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

on second thought, nevermind.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:46 am

Im sure you have heard that we look for more than metal.
Then patdown everybody. Or get machines that can detect more than metal. But how does a parent explain to a young kid that a stranger needs to touch them "because the computer said so"?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Kids are being used by terrorists. What can you do? Get a private screening just as I would do if I were travelling and they wanted to pat me down. I would derive any comfort from some police officer watching the screening. If it still bothers a parent, then take the train or drive.

I'm flying a heck of a lot less because of these patdowns. It's just not worth it to me. If it bothers others as much, then do the same.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:02 am

Well, if you look at the T-S-A system objectively it is rather easy to determine that TSA exists to protect the people on the ground, not those in the air.

TSA tries to detect threats that can turn the plane into a missle. They do little to prevent turning the plane into an in-air bomb. If somebody wants to kill passengers, they can. But they will have a harder time killing thousands on the ground (with the fortified cockpit doors, the pilots could hopefully either land first or worse case crash the plane in a desereted area).

Once people realize that, then they will realize the absuridty of screening little kids with patdowns. Ineffective until every piece of cargo is screened for explosives.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Analise
Kids are being used by terrorists.
Oh, really? Do you have any evidence to support this statement?

The truth of the matter is that we haven't seen a real terrorist in the United States in a couple of years -- and the few that we have seen (like the nutcase who shot up LAX) didn't use children to do their dirty work.

As I have said countless times, this haystack simply has no needles. You can search for terrorists at airports until the cows come home, but you will never find any -- because they aren't there!

Bruce
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
If I had a kid, that kid would not get patted down, period. End of story.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:14 am

More direct

Originally Posted by GradGirl
I saw this story on CNN and got to wondering.

From the story, in which a principal was suspended for asking police to handcuff a 5 year old student:

The boy's mother, Aroni Rucker, said Wednesday her son had trouble adjusting to his first year of school and may have been disruptive, but he did nothing to warrant such treatment.

"They put handcuffs on my baby," Rucker said. "That's for adults who murder and kill. He's 5. He's in kindergarten."

St. Louis police spokesman Richard Wilkes said the department was looking into the incident. "Handcuffing 5-year-olds is not a practice of the department," he said.

University spokesman Bob Samples, part of the sponsorship team, said only that "it's inappropriate to handcuff a 5-year-old."

--------------------

Then at what age do you say that a person becomes a threat to a LEO? Someone that is in custody of a LEO can, without warning, decide to use any force or means available to them to escape. When I was a police officer, the SOP left it up to the officers descretion as to when to handcuff a juvenile. However there are instances when a juvenile has assaulted an officer to get away. This story is kinda of a "scared straight" thing. The principal influenced the LEO to try a tactic on the child and it backfired on him.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:15 am

The world has gone nuts in my opinion. Absolutely nuts. There should be no "rational" style discussion on this issue. Every adult should be rising up in horror and anger over the whole issue. 5 year olds are babies. They're impulsive, sometimes disruptive, lacking in reason, charming, delightful, prompted by emotion, deserving of love and affection.

They are not even close to being children, let alone young adults... and eventually adults. They can barely even understand the consequences of not eating all their dinner.

As I said, this is absolutely insane. The adults should be arrested. At least they can reason.
Rita

Last edited by rkt10; Dec 17, 2004 at 10:17 am
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:21 am

Then at what age do you say that a person becomes a threat to a LEO? Someone that is in custody of a LEO can, without warning, decide to use any force or means available to them to escape. When I was a police officer, the SOP left it up to the officers descretion as to when to handcuff a juvenile. However there are instances when a juvenile has assaulted an officer to get away. This story is kinda of a "scared straight" thing. The principal influenced the LEO to try a tactic on the child and it backfired on him.
Any cop that needs to handcuff a five year old to prevent the kid from escaping or to protect the officer is a keystone cop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.