Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Knives on board??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Question Knives on board??

On a recent trip, both Singapore and Thai served meals with real metal, standard dining knives. Would I be permitted to bring one of the exact same knives in my carry-on luggage? Could I carry one in my pocket? I presume no. Does that make any sense? Just curious.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PastaPrimavera
On a recent trip, both Singapore and Thai served meals with real metal, standard dining knives. Would I be permitted to bring one of the exact same knives in my carry-on luggage? Could I carry one in my pocket? I presume no. Does that make any sense? Just curious.
No, you shouldn't be able to. But I had a similar thing on a US-bound LH flight a couple of weeks ago, metal knives.

On the domestic airlines, metal spoons and forks don't kill, it's the metal knives.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I still contend that the plastic knives in J & F on AA are sharper than the crappy-minature metal butter knives they had before. However, plastic knives in forks in Y are another story....
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:12 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by PastaPrimavera
Technically "round bladed butter knives" that are metal are permitted in carry on. That description would include the standard dining (not steak) knives set on place settings at most tables.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...12_18_2003.pdf

But because knives are an official no-no, I suspect you'd have a hard time getting it past most checkpoints, just like many travelers get bugged about non-pointed scissors. And you might run into a screener that holds you hostage until you give him your address so that he can send you a $300 fine.

TSA intimidation at work.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Although AA still gives plastic a Northwest thread from Sep03 shows that metal knives returned: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=knife

So I guess it's OK to have a metal knofe on a plane, you just can't bring them through security.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 12:28 pm

My wife had a plastic knife (that she got on an airplane) confiscated going through security at Logan Airport. Once through security I purchased a bagel and cream cheese at Dunkin Donuts and was given a plastic knife....we also received a plastic knife with breakfast on our flight. Something doesn't make sense....
Old Dec 10, 2004, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All of the knives you get airside have been screened by the TSA to make sure they don't contain hidden knives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.