Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheese Slicer SNAFU at SMF Checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GradGirl
I nominate this for most points scored against the TSA in a single incident. MSY-MSP, you kicked TSA butts with their own vague rules AND loosed the real law enforcement officers on them. Can we give you a medal?
How about a Lifetime Achievement Award?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:22 pm

Question

Give them this address:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500

Question: What happens if an American citizen who lives in Belgium (such as myself) presents their American passport and a Belgian drivers license that doesn't even have our picture on it?

Wonder if they can even spell my street name correctly.... Sint Truiderstraat
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Japhydog
How about a Lifetime Achievement Award?
I agree and I also suggest MSY-MSP and the LEO split the generous cash reward that comes with the Lifetime Achievement Award......
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Peetah
Give them this address:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500

Question: What happens if an American citizen who lives in Belgium (such as myself) presents their American passport and a Belgian drivers license that doesn't even have our picture on it?

Peetah...welcome to FlyerTalk and the Travel Safety/Security Forum!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Give them this address:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington DC

I was just about to suggest that Peetah, with the comment that I wondered if anyone would recognize it.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:12 pm

Programs: Vanishing

Just give them the address and when they ask for spelling tell them: "Just like it sounds". If they need you to spell it out, pronounce each letter in Flemish. If this happens to me, I intend to show them my other passport and give them an address in the native language.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:19 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by L-1011
Just give them the address and when they ask for spelling tell them: "Just like it sounds". If they need you to spell it out, pronounce each letter in Flemish. If this happens to me, I intend to show them my other passport and give them an address in the native language.

I can see it now...

"Sir we need your driver's license"

[hands over a Belgian driver license that's in Dutch and English]

"Your American driver's license"

"I don't have one!"

"As an American you must have an American driver's license!"

"As an American that doesn't live in this country, I'm not required to have an American driver's license!"

*much fiddling around*

"What's your address?"

[in Dutch] "Sint Truiderstraat 15, 3700 Tongeren" (not my real address but damn close to it)

"In English!"

"hrmm... Sint Truiderstraat 15, 3700 Tongeren"

"How do you spell it?"

"In Dutch or English?"

"In English!"

[big smile] "Er... S-t-u-p-i-d f-u-c...."
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
I was going to post this in the thread about the nitro reports, but it seems more appropriate here.
Excellent exchange. I would have written a letter to the LEO's supervisor commending him on upholding the law, your rights and the American way. ^

And you should have sent a formal complaint to the TSA about this crap.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
Settlement offers aren't un-American. That's all this is. The defendant is free to ignore the settlement offer and proceed to trial.
You say "settlement offer," I say "shakedown." And I agree that settlement offers aren't un-American. But IMO, this ain't no settlement offer.

As far as I'm concerned, this civil penalty program of the TSA is an un-American travesty. Accordingly, I don't see offers by the TSA to accept a fraction of their proposed penalties as a "settlement offer." Instead, I lump them in the same category as, say, the shakedowns that Prop. 64 was designed to restrict.

I agree with former Rep. Bob Barr's characterizations of the TSA's civil penalty scheme:

But critics who include former U.S Rep. Bob Barr (search), R-Ga., say the government is wrongly treating all travelers like criminals, and spending tax dollars on a security measure that does little to target real terrorists.

Law-abiding citizens are being made to feel like criminals, he said. None of this is going to stop terrorists from doing what they want to do.

<snip>

Barr said this has resulted in arbitrary punishment and inconsistent application of the law.

Its arbitrary power that should never be tolerated in our society, he said, speculating that the TSA was using the regulations to raise revenues, and to simply flex its muscles and let people know its in charge.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,113992,00.html

Arbitrary. I certainly agree. But I'd go a step further and add "capricious" to the description. YMMV. That's what's great about America.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Arbitrary. I certainly agree. But I'd go a step further and add "capricious" to the description. YMMV. That's what's great about America.
regarding the above mentioned foxnews article......

i'm curious as to where the item was confiscated-before/during/after security. the reason i ask is that it is my understanding that it is only a violation if you have gone thru security with a "prohibited item". nothing in the world can prevent me from walking landside with whatever i please because if it was prohibited to have such items landside, then the checkpoint would be at the curb. if the items are found during security, then the item is simply confiscated and you go on your way. if you are found to have a "no-no" on you post security, then yes you have violated the law and hence the fine-

just my non-legal (but common sense approach)

give me liberty but hands off my bic
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
regarding the above mentioned foxnews article......

i'm curious as to where the item was confiscated-before/during/after security. the reason i ask is that it is my understanding that it is only a violation if you have gone thru security with a "prohibited item". nothing in the world can prevent me from walking landside with whatever i please because if it was prohibited to have such items landside, then the checkpoint would be at the curb. if the items are found during security, then the item is simply confiscated and you go on your way. if you are found to have a "no-no" on you post security, then yes you have violated the law and hence the fine-

just my non-legal (but common sense approach)
Common sense it might be, but your reasonable view (IMO) is counter to the law. The violation occurs when you attempt to get the prohibited item thru the checkpoint.

Under many laws, attempts are punished as severely as successful criminal endeavors. Why give incompetent lawbreakers a break?

At the checkpoint, the TSA permits travelers to remove some prohibited items and take them back to their car or check them in checked bags or to "voluntarily abandon" them at the checkpoint. Other items, however, are confiscated by the TSA without the option of keeping the item. When that happens, expect a fine. Or a criminal indictment. Or maybe nothing. Arbitrary and capricious.

As the TSA itself says:

If you bring a prohibited item to the checkpoint you may be criminally and/or civilly prosecuted or at the least asked to rid yourself of the item. A screener and/or Law Enforcement Officer will make this determination depending on what the item is and the circumstances. This is because bringing a prohibited item to a security checkpoint - even accidentally - is illegal.

Your prohibited item may be detained for use in an investigation and if necessary as evidence in your criminal and/or civil prosecution. If permitted by the screener or Law Enforcement Officer, you may be allowed to:

Consult with the airlines for possible assistance in placing the prohibited item in checked baggage

Withdraw with the item from the screening checkpoint at that time

Make other arrangements for the item such as taking it to your car

Voluntarily abandon the item. Items that are voluntarily abandoned cannot be recovered and will not be returned to you.

Please refer to the printable versions of the prohibited and permitted items list above where you will find a list of items that are permitted or prohibited in your carry-on or checked baggage. You should note that some items are allowed in your checked baggage but not your carry-on. Also pay careful attention to the 'Notes' included at the bottom of each section - they contain important information about restrictions.

The prohibited and permitted items list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is updated as necessary. To ensure everyone's security the screener may determine that an item not on this chart is prohibited.
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1012.xml

Gotta love that last bolded portion. Arbitrary and capricious.

The arbitrary and capricious agency is making us all safer.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:01 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
At the checkpoint, the TSA permits travelers to remove some prohibited items and take them back to their car or check them in checked bags or to "voluntarily abandon" them at the checkpoint. Other items, however, are confiscated by the TSA without the option of keeping the item. When that happens, expect a fine.
It's worse than that. In several cases, including the cheese slicer, TSA told the pax to take the item to checked bags (i.e., option to trash/surrender, check as baggage, or put in car), and then sent a fine. Apparently no indication that a fine was forthcoming was given to the pax at the checkpoint.

Completely unacceptable IMO. If there is a possiblity of a fine, the screener/supervisor should directly communicate that to the pax AT the checkpoint on the day of travel. What's going on now is equivalent to if a cop pulls you over for running a red light, says you just are getting a warning, and then his supervisor later decides to send you a ticket.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:14 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!

"In Dutch or English?"

"In English!"

[big smile] "Er... S-t-u-p-i-d f-u-c...."
They speak Dutch in Belgium?

Next thing you'll be telling us is that French Fries come from there!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only is it arbitrary and capricious, but it is essentially the legislation of a crime ex post facto by an individual government agent. Totally unconstitutional, in my view.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY
They speak Dutch in Belgium?

Next thing you'll be telling us is that French Fries come from there!
Technically, Flemish is considered "Dutch as spoken in the Flemish region of Belgium and the Netherlands". Yeah, try telling that to the people here in Belgium.

Fries... that's a whole different subject. The French like them like their women, thin and slender, and only fried once (the fries, not the women). The Belgians prefer their fries (but not their women) thick (like the wedge fries at some fast food restaurants in the USA) and they're double fried. Who cares where they came from? Personally, I don't care where they came from, how they're cooked or sliced, so long as they're served hot with ketchup and not mayonnaise!

Back to the subject matter at hand, if the person walks into a security checkpoint with something that's prohibited, let them mail it home, discard it, or check it in with their luggage. Don't try to supplement the agency's budget with "civil" fines. Give them the benefit of the doubt, they haven't entered the sterile area yet, and maybe they didn't know what's in the day's SOP of prohibited items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.