Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR B (NW/DL - low # gates) this AM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GradGirl
here's hoping the forces of liberty will win the second war against the redcoat battalion of government tyranny.
I drink to that...!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by GradGirl
I am relishing the appropriateness of TSA employees being referred to as "redcoats". The British forces were the redcoats in the War of the American Revolution: here's hoping the forces of liberty will win the second war against the redcoat battalion of government tyranny.
I'm not sure if the redcoats are TSA employees -- I always thought they were airline employees. They do actually wear red jackets so they are easy to find in the airport chaos.

Does anyone know?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TSAMGR
If you actually read the post you may have realized that I was explaining the (TSA) motive behind the multiple BP checks. Anywhere in that post was it said it was sane and necessary or that I agreed with it?
Why yes -- you wrote this (emphasis mine):
While this process may seem to be overkill it ensures selectees are properly screened at the checkpoint and the need to screen selectees at the gate or have them come back to the checkpoint can be eliminated thus making it easier all the way around.
From that I read that you think that the policy seems like overkill to the uninformed but that you think it isn't (for the stated reasons).
TSA wants it done so it needs to be done, we used a common sense approach.
Many of us see what the TSA wants as the antithesis of common sense. Four checks of the same document by four people within 20 feet certainly seems to show a lack of common sense to me. If folks can't be trusted to do their jobs the first time with one check, then why stop at four checks? Wouldn't we all be "safer" with six, or eight? Why not throw a few more X-ray machines into the mix too, just in case the first operator misses something?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by climbermom
I'm not sure if the redcoats are TSA employees -- I always thought they were airline employees. They do actually wear red jackets so they are easy to find in the airport chaos.

Does anyone know?
The redcoats referred to here might be the DL supervisory personnel. Until a few years ago, they all wore red jackets. In a cost cutting move these jobs were eliminated but have recently come back onto the scene as greycoats.
Not sure if other airlines also used redcoats.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Was at EWR today:

ALL SHOES MUST COME OFF TO ENTER METAL DETECTOR

If you've got the time, energy, & inclination, go ahead & print this out and carry it with you - it's the TSA shoe policy - file a complaint if you need to. I would expect that you'd get secondary if you choose not to remove your shoes, which, though annoying, would be acceptable, IMHO.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Why yes -- you wrote this (emphasis mine):

From that I read that you think that the policy seems like overkill to the uninformed but that you think it isn't (for the stated reasons).
From one word you get a lot unfortunately it is wrong. Clinton can use you.

Many of us see what the TSA wants as the antithesis of common sense. Four checks of the same document by four people within 20 feet certainly seems to show a lack of common sense to me. If folks can't be trusted to do their jobs the first time with one check, then why stop at four checks? Wouldn't we all be "safer" with six, or eight? Why not throw a few more X-ray machines into the mix too, just in case the first operator misses something?

As I stated and you ignored, we (my airports) use one TSA screener to double check the BP at the ETMD. Integrated lane is a little different but there we only have the WTMD screener who hands the SSSS BP to the Lead who stamps it and gives it back to you.

Do you have it now or do you needed explained s l o w e r?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 6:12 am

TSAMGR, I am sure that being on the the other side of things, it is difficult being a flyertalk poster because there are many flyertalkers who do not care for the TSA and its rules.

I do not blame you for getting upset and annoyed at some of the posts and I for one personally value many of your posts as you have provided great insight into the TSA and its rules.

However, I am not sure atacking any poster is the best idea, I understand it (the frustration) but, somehow I have a sense that the moderators will end up taking out the slower portion of your post. You provide a great service to FT and I would not want to see you banned because of a few words that might anger the FT community. You would not continue using FT(and taking the punishment that the TSA employee's take on this board) if you truly did not want to provide a service to the community and help us understand TSA policy even if it really makes no sense.

Thank you again for all of positive contributions to this board.

Dan

PS. I apologize for any errors as I typed this very early in the morning.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
As I stated and you ignored, we (my airports) use one TSA screener to double check the BP at the ETMD. Integrated lane is a little different but there we only have the WTMD screener who hands the SSSS BP to the Lead who stamps it and gives it back to you.
As I said before, I guess your airport may be doing a better job than others. The airports I've been to lately have had at least *three* people checking boarding passes. Forgetting the reasons why, this leads once again to the question of what happened to the promised unifority the TSA was going to bring. There is no uniformity if each airport does things differently.

I'll choose to ignore your continued unprovoked and TOS-violating personal attacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.