Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Technology over secondary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Each 3 second scan exposes a person to 3 microRem of radiation. This level compares with the 10 to 20 microRem per hour that a person receives from naturally occurring background radiation..."

Let's do the math, shall we?

Using the numbers provided in the previous post:

There are 3600 seconds in an hour. This device would cause an exposure of 3600 microRem in 1 hour's time, which is 180-360 times the normal background radiation! That is simply not acceptable! There is no safe dosage of radiation! Exposing people to these amounts to search for non-credible weapons (ceramic knives) when non-invasive and non-carcinogenic options of searching for real weapons exist (guns and bombs via the WTMD and chemical detectors) is insane.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:57 am

I wouldnt even know what to say if they placed X-RAY machines for the public.

I would be too scared to even work.

Bad enough I am already paranoid being around X-RAY in the bagroom and at checkpoint all day.

Last edited by TSASCRNR; Nov 1, 2004 at 6:00 am
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by TSASCRNR
The idea for low frequency X-RAY has been floating around since the beginning of TSA, but of course, the general public thought it would 110% intrude their "space".

You can never make the public happy.
Wow! People are unhappy about 1)getting shot up with x-ray radiation, for which there is no "safe" dose and 2)having their naked image projected onto a screen? I just don't understand what all the fuss is about...
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:02 am

I wouldnt even know what to say if they placed X-RAY machines for the public.

I would be too scared to even work.

Bad enough I am already paranoid being around X-RAY in the bagroom and at checkpoint all day.

You are around the machine. You are not being bombarded with x-rays like the baggage is. Big difference!

You can sit near the fire (safe) without sitting in the fire (not as safe). See the difference?
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
You are around the machine. You are not being bombarded with x-rays like the baggage is. Big difference!

You can sit near the fire (safe) without sitting in the fire (not as safe). See the difference?

Ha!

As the bag goes in the machine, the "lead" curtains are pushed up, thus leading the X-rays OUT and shooting into my body, CONSTANTLY!

But oh well.

I guess im not going to have kids.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:16 am

Ha!

As the bag goes in the machine, the "lead" curtains are pushed up, thus leading the X-rays OUT and shooting into my body, CONSTANTLY!

But oh well.

Uh... no.

Take a geiger counter and see that there is no additional radiation hitting you.

Your future children are still safe.

More to the point, are you advocating some kind of "scorched earth" policy for the travelers??

Last edited by Spiff; Nov 1, 2004 at 6:18 am
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:26 am

Uh... no.

Take a geiger counter and see that there is no additional radiation hitting you.

More to the point, are you advocating some kind of "scorched earth" policy for the travelers??

Trust me, there is radiation escaping, especially when we put in long bags, the red light turns on that radiation is active, and we are standing in front of it loading because that is the only way we can load the bags in the bagroom, thus letting radiation hit us. Im sure the CTX does not have X-rays escaping, but im sure the basic X-RAY does. If i am not mistaking X-RAYS travel in 45* angles.

No, I do not agree, I was being sarcastic. I would not want to be around anymore radiation that what I am exposed to.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:38 am

Programs: TSA
hmmm

I think someone should come out with a radar or mri type detection system
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:06 am
Original Poster

"Each 3 second scan exposes a person to 3 microRem of radiation. This level compares with the 10 to 20 microRem per hour that a person receives from naturally occurring background radiation..."

Let's do the math, shall we?

Using the numbers provided in the previous post:

There are 3600 seconds in an hour. This device would cause an exposure of 3600 microRem in 1 hour's time, which is 180-360 times the normal background radiation! That is simply not acceptable! There is no safe dosage of radiation! Exposing people to these amounts to search for non-credible weapons (ceramic knives) when non-invasive and non-carcinogenic options of searching for real weapons exist (guns and bombs via the WTMD and chemical detectors) is insane.
?? But you are not standing in the machine for one hour only 3 seconds so you logic doesn't make sense to me. If you are worried about any dose of radiation then I am surprised you are willing to fly. A flight from NY to LA will give you 3000 microRem and this is actual exposure, So 3 second in the X-Ray is .1% of what you will actually be getting on the flight.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Ha!

But oh well.

There are two sets of curtains plus the beam is not directed anywhere near the curtains.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by TSAMGR
?? But you are not standing in the machine for one hour only 3 seconds so you logic doesn't make sense to me. If you are worried about any dose of radiation then I am surprised you are willing to fly. A flight from NY to LA will give you 3000 microRem and this is actual exposure, So 3 second in the X-Ray is .1% of what you will actually be getting on the flight.
It doesn't matter!

Any additional dose of radiation, especially a concentrated one like this still cannot be considered "safe"!

More people's health is being endangered than lives saved by detecting such implausible and non-credible weapons!

It would be like forcing everyone to take an experimental vaccine that is known to kill in large doses and is possibly harmful in smaller doses to prevent an extremely rare disease that has extremely low primary transmittability and zero secondary transmittability.

It's simply not worth it.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Uh... no.

I have been there when the tests have been done. A geiger counter is used and places on the belt in front of the curtain, on top, at the keyboard, on the floor underneath and there are no readings. The machine is designed to shut itself down if the radiation increases even a very small amount.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by TSAMGR
I have been there when the tests have been done. A geiger counter is used and places on the belt in front of the curtain, on top, at the keyboard, on the floor underneath and there are no readings. The machine is designed to shut itself down if the radiation increases even a very small amount.
Precisely. OSHA would never let anyone, even TSA screeners () operate a device that leaked x-rays.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:26 am
Original Poster

It doesn't matter!

Any additional dose of radiation, especially a concentrated one like this still cannot be considered "safe"!

More people's health is being endangered than lives saved by detecting such implausible and non-credible weapons!

It would be like forcing everyone to take an experimental vaccine that is known to kill in large doses and is possibly harmful in smaller doses to prevent an extremely rare disease that has extremely low primary transmittability and zero secondary transmittability.

It's simply not worth it.
But you will talk on your cell phone as you head to the checkpoint then get right back on it after you get through. You are exposing yourself to more radiation then these machines would ever give you.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I am not arguing the use of the machine just the logic being used against the use of the machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.