Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Senator closes Washington office, citing security threat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Macon Daily Telegraph

"Citing top-secret documents on the threat of a terrorist attack, Sen. Mark Dayton, D-Minn., shut down his Washington office through Election Day, and on Tuesday urged citizens to avoid Capitol Hill, an act that generated controversy in Washington and beyond.

"I do so out of extreme, but necessary, precaution to protect the lives and safety of my Senate staff and my Minnesota constituents," Dayton said."

Is Senator Chicken up for reelection this term?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Is Senator Chicken up for reelection this term?
No US Senate elections in MN this year.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:22 pm

What a maroon! I'm embarrassed for him (since he obviously does not have enough common sense to be embarrassed for himself!).
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, CRC, HHS
Originally Posted by Houston_TX1234
What a maroon! I'm embarrassed for him (since he obviously does not have enough common sense to be embarrassed for himself!).
I'm sorry but you keep using this word, maroon, what do you think that it means?

These are the definitions for the word:
ma·roon1 ** *P***Pronunciation Key**(m-rn)
tr.v. ma·rooned, ma·roon·ing, ma·roons
To put ashore on a deserted island or coast and intentionally abandon.

To abandon or isolate with little hope of ready rescue or escape: The travelers were marooned by the blizzard.

n.
often Maroon
A fugitive Black slave in the West Indies in the 17th and 18th centuries.

A descendant of such a slave.

A person who is marooned, as on an island.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prof1950
I'm sorry but you keep using this word, maroon, what do you think that it means?

These are the definitions for the word:
ma·roon1 ** *P***Pronunciation Key**(m-rn)
tr.v. ma·rooned, ma·roon·ing, ma·roons
To put ashore on a deserted island or coast and intentionally abandon.

To abandon or isolate with little hope of ready rescue or escape: The travelers were marooned by the blizzard.

n.
often Maroon
A fugitive Black slave in the West Indies in the 17th and 18th centuries.

A descendant of such a slave.

A person who is marooned, as on an island.
You don't watch enough Looney Tunes. Bugs Bunny slang for MORON. Bugs Bunny says it in an uncomplimentary fashion: "What a maroon."

http://www.wavsource.com/tv/looney.htm contains a wav file of it if you want to listen (warning on home page orders against linking to wav files directly).
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:59 pm

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Originally Posted by prof1950
Perhaps Houston went to the University of Chicago--I've been deliberately (mis-) using the term in this way for ages. Then again, maybe it came from the Three Stooges.

[Edit--No Stooges, FWAAA's got it.]

Last edited by Wheezer; Oct 12, 2004 at 10:06 pm
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Questions:

1. If this were truly a Top Secret document, why was the Senator publicly citing it?

2. If concern for the safety of workers/constituents was truly his concern (as opposed to publicity) why did he not simply close the office and announce he was doing so to allow these people to be at the polls?

3. Where does the Senator plan to spend Election Day? Very few places in the U.S. can be guaranteed to be safe, so is he heading -- on official business, of course -- to Monte Carlo or Tahiti?

4. Does he feel that it is his office, specifically, which is under threat or the entire United States Senate? If it is the latter, does he suggest that it be shut? Does this extend to the House of Representatives as well? How about the Executive and Judicial branches? Is it the good Senator's contention that the best way to combat terrorism is to close down the entire government?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:16 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
You don't watch enough Looney Tunes. Bugs Bunny slang for MORON. Bugs Bunny says it in an uncomplimentary fashion: "What a maroon."

http://www.wavsource.com/tv/looney.htm contains a wav file of it if you want to listen (warning on home page orders against linking to wav files directly).
he also uses the term "Ultra Maroon",
you need to watch more Loney tunes!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, CRC, HHS
OK, Uncle,,,I'll watch some Bugs Bunny...guess it helps if you have youngsters...my youngest is 31 and I don't recall BB using the word MAROON back then??
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:04 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Dovster
Is it the good Senator's contention that the best way to combat terrorism is to close down the entire government?
We should be so lucky.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:49 am

Questions:

1. If this were truly a Top Secret document, why was the Senator publicly citing it?
Senators leak all the time. So do Congressman (and I don't mean peeing in cups on planes).
2. If concern for the safety of workers/constituents was truly his concern (as opposed to publicity) why did he not simply close the office and announce he was doing so to allow these people to be at the polls?
That is a good question.
3. Where does the Senator plan to spend Election Day? Very few places in the U.S. can be guaranteed to be safe, so is he heading -- on official business, of course -- to Monte Carlo or Tahiti?
Only if he can get an absentee ballot or do early voting.
4. Does he feel that it is his office, specifically, which is under threat or the entire United States Senate? If it is the latter, does he suggest that it be shut? Does this extend to the House of Representatives as well? How about the Executive and Judicial branches? Is it the good Senator's contention that the best way to combat terrorism is to close down the entire government?
Wasn't this guy from Minnesota? I doubt most terrorists know where that is. He wasn't likley a specific target.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AArlington
Wasn't this guy from Minnesota? I doubt most terrorists know where that is. He wasn't likley a specific target.
Then what was Z. Moussaoui doing there?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Then what was Z. Moussaoui doing there?
Making a contribution?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:21 am

Having had very limited interaction with the Senator, I believe maroon as pronounced by BB is very appropriate. I wish more Looney Tunes were on TV instead of the Senate.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Making a contribution?
.... to death, destruction and general mayhem. A PAC would be more respectable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.