Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Travel Tips for Security Screening

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 6:28 am
Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:33 am

Hi Bart. Welcome to FT.

While your post is very informative, you'll probably find that it falls on deaf ears. Most of the ppl here are FF's or TSA'ers, and have known this info for a LONG time.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I'll add my welcome as well.

Of course these are great tips. I've been practicing most of them for a long time.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
Hi Bart. Welcome to FT.

While your post is very informative, you'll probably find that it falls on deaf ears. Most of the ppl here are FF's or TSA'ers, and have known this info for a LONG time.
</font>
Old Dec 18, 2003, 6:07 am

Bart what you say is true, BUT no matter what you say, the triplets will say we need to get rid of the TSA. I would suggest that you sit back and join in on occasion but had a good laugh at what they say to people. No matter what you say most of the time they will go against you because they hate the TSA that much. Just a word of warning.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:43 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bart:
Just a few tips from a TSA screener:
1. Always keep your cash. If you have your cash in a moneyclip, remove the clip and place it inside the divest tray. This is just a good way to keep honest people honest, whether it is the screener at the checkpoint or the passenger in front of you who will most likely be the first person to watch your tray come out the other end of the X-ray machine.
2. NEVER take off your jewelry. Unlike wallets, bags and other items that may have identification information on them, it is virtually impossible to page passengers over the intercom to return to the checkpoint to claim their forgotten property. IF you are concerned that your jewelry may set off the walk-through metal detector alarm, then place it inside one of your carry-on bags. Otherwise, I would think it is better to be subjected to secondary screening than to realize too late that you never retrieved your jewelry at the checkpoint. (People in a hurry tend to focus only on the large items such as shoes, bags and coats and forget the rest.)
3. Label your laptop computer. Smartest way to do this is to tape your business card to the outside. This will accomplish two things: it will ensure that you can identify YOUR laptop in case the person in front or behind you in line happens to have the same model and it allows TSA to page you by name should you accidentally leave it at the checkpoint.
4. ALWAYS keep your boarding pass and ID with you. You need one to get on the plane and the other to identify yourself when you return to the checkpoint to claim a piece of property you left behind.
5. Pack a pair of slippers in your carry-on bag. Most shoes have steel shanks inside of them, including the ones with "rubber soles." You can wear the slippers through the walk-through metal detector and not have to worry about any fungus or other bacteria you might expose yourself to by walking in your bare feet or socks.
6. Visit the TSA website at tsa.gov for a list of items that are prohibited. The website contains both a list of items that you are not allowed to take on board with you as well as a list of items that you may or the quantities of items that you may take with you.
7. IF you have blunt-tipped scissors or a coin purse, place them in the divest tray separately. That way, if the X-ray operator should have any questions about the scissors, he or she will see them in the tray as it exits the X-ray tunnel and won't have to call for a bag check. And if the coin purse is filled with so many coins that the X-ray operator cannot clear it, then the coin purse and only the coin purse will need to be checked (assuming nothing else inside the bag appears suspicious).
8. No matter how frustrating the screening process may be, just be thankful that the shoe bomber didn't hide the bomb in his underwear.
</font>
Now you have done it. Now sit back and watch the fireworks.

------------------
Don't take life too seriously, afterall, you won't get out alive.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:47 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tuner:
Bart what you say is true, BUT no matter what you say, the triplets will say we need to get rid of the TSA. I would suggest that you sit back and join in on occasion but had a good laugh at what they say to people. No matter what you say most of the time they will go against you because they hate the TSA that much. Just a word of warning.</font>
Actually, these are good tips. The shoe one is the only one I don't agree with because I know my shoes do not set off any magnetometer. No one should have to remove their shoes who does not want to remove them and does not alarm at the WTMD. (The underwear remark is just inane.)

I and others like me want to get rid of the TSA because this agency continues its policies of passenger harassment. I'd likely shut up if all the stupidity went away.
If Reid had put his bomb in his pants, the TSA's soultion would likely be one that is so stupid and futile that no one would fly. That's why the TSA should be disbanded.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited Dec 18, 2003).]
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Bart.

Excellent tips, one gross misstatement: The assertion that "most shoes have steel shanks" is false. "Some shoes have steel shanks" is a correct statement. "Many popular leather dress shoes have steel shanks" would likewise be accurate.

Americans value precision, especially when dealing with individuals who are enforcing rules. Strive for better precision in your communications, and it will enhance your professionalism.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:18 am

I usually wear cowboy boots or running shoes. The runners have a stiff piece of plastic as a shank, and all my boots have a wooden shank - steel makes them way too stiff.

I'm still peeved that if I choose to keep them on, I get the third degree after the magno.

Re: boarding pass and ID at the screening. I recall a recent conversation on FT about someone that was subjected to additional wanding and screening because they were holding their passport and boarding pass in their hand when they went through the magnometer. I know that I'll never lay mine on the belt, but I usually stick them in a pocket when being scanned.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
BZZZZZZZZZ, wrong. Those who criticize the TSA don't hate it. Most despise the stupid policies, the lack of consistency, and the very occassional cases of abuse by power-hungry screeners who take delight in lording over law-abiding citizens. The TSA simply does not provide the best security for the enormous amounts of money that is spent.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tuner:
Bart what you say is true, BUT no matter what you say, the triplets will say we need to get rid of the TSA. I would suggest that you sit back and join in on occasion but had a good laugh at what they say to people. No matter what you say most of the time they will go against you because they hate the TSA that much. Just a word of warning.</font>
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:54 am

OK I know you TSA'ers ARE sitting back and waiting for a barage. You have all been disappointed I'm afraid.

Welcome to FT Bart. I take issue with #5.

The TSA should provide a pair of slippers if they are intent on screening every pair of footwear and are looking for whatever it is they think can ONLY be found in shoes. Otherwise there should be no secondary unless you alarm or have received the dreaded SSSSSS (which can be circumvented by anyone that pays attention). Also note that if you have the SSSSS and are traveling with someone you can always hand your stuff to them also circumventing the "purpose" of selectee's "random" screening.

Your obviously aware that screening shoes does nothing to make the traveler safer (refer to #8).

Addressing Tuners comments:

As pointed out by UALOneKPlus just because the TSA is critized doesn't mean it is hated. This apparently is what most TSA'ers perceive. I've read many postings where FF'ers expressing the absurdity of the particular dance they are "recommended" to perform are answered with "comply or don't fly", or "shall we get a LEO involved" or the like. It's obvious to me that most people in a perceived postion of authority do not like to be questioned. It may be a stereotype or generalization but as you well know, stereotypes exist for a reason...because there is "some" truth behind them.
Better learn how to count, Tuner, triplets means three. I count a lot more than that even without "de-shoeing".
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:24 pm

Welcome Bart

I'd like to add to that list if I could:

1) If the screeners don't tell you to place your bags in a bin, then don't do it. It usually clogs up the belt.

2) If you have items in your pockets, just place the items in your carry-on, to keep honest people honest. Also speeds up the process.

3) If you have rollerbags, remove them from the belt the first chance you get. It clogs up the belt, causing longer wait times. If you need help, feel free to ask screeners if they are avaiable.

Happy Holidays
Old Dec 18, 2003, 4:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Bart.

Excellent tips, one gross misstatement: The assertion that "most shoes have steel shanks" is false. "Some shoes have steel shanks" is a correct statement. "Many popular leather dress shoes have steel shanks" would likewise be accurate.

Americans value precision, especially when dealing with individuals who are enforcing rules. Strive for better precision in your communications, and it will enhance your professionalism.
</font>
I would venture to say that the "majority" of leather shoes have steel in them, "dress" or not.

Old Dec 18, 2003, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
I would venture to say that the "majority" of leather shoes have steel in them, "dress" or not.

</font>
Nice addition to my list - but that does not lend any validity to the original erroneous statement "Most shoes have steel shanks."

But I'm not convinced that most leather shoes have steel, since very few leather athletic shoes have steel, but you may be right.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 7:02 pm

all is lost

[This message has been edited by Fenito (edited Dec 21, 2003).]
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Bingo!

A common sense approach!

Any chance your FSD would like to inject some of that sense to the morons running BHM, LAX, PHX and FLL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.