Wiki Posts
Search

Signage I'd Like To See

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2003, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Signage I'd Like To See

I can't keep track of ID Required Airports and No ID Required Airports. Hell, half the time I don't know what & *#$ airport I'm at. How about a BIG RED SIGN at the gate: "ID Required" or a BIG GREEN SIGN: "No ID Required." This way I don't have to fumble unnecessarily for my internal passport.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 6:39 am

No brainer.

No signage needed. Pax don't pay attention to them anyway. We have a gazillion signs downstairs / upstairs detailing what to do to get thru the CP faster. There is even a recorded announcement telling the same things. Doesn't do a bit of good. We have a "Remove your computer" sign @ the divesting table, and still 1 out of 5 pax asked "do I need to take my computer out?".

Un-freakin' real.

I'm a firm believer that 75% of the pax that pass thru RDU, check their brains curbside.

[This message has been edited by TakeScissorsAway (edited Dec 09, 2003).]
Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:52 am

Signs are useless.

Most people just pass them up or half read them. We have passengers constantly asking if they need to take their laptops out.

We also have people read the film sign, then come up and spend five minutes looking for that one roll of film thats 100 speed. Then they tell us that the sign down there tells the PAX to take all film out of their bags.

The signs for the film in the checkpoint, state to take out 800ASA film or higher but you can have other filmed checked if you like.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:00 am

How about plasma screens. That'll work!!
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:13 am

Anything with words, that PAX have to stop to read seems to be to much of a burdle on them. So I think the idea of a repeating announcment might work.

Or maybe a first time pax line, infrequent pax line and a FF pax line might do the job. Put a screener out there for the first two lines to give them the jest of it all.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 12:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CarmelGreg:
How about plasma screens. That'll work!!</font>
"Mmmmmmmmmmmm......plasma screen" in my best Homer voice.

Old Dec 13, 2003, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about something like this --

"Upon entering the checkpoint, the TSA advises passengers that, in addition to screening for pointy objects, we have taken it upon ourselves to search your person and your belongings and will detain you if the screener finds any illegal items having nothing at all to do with transportation security. These items include, but are not limited to, drugs, bootleg music CDs, illegally copied software, Cuban cigars, or media deemed obscene by local community standards.

Have a nice 4th Amendment Day."
Old Dec 13, 2003, 4:35 pm

all is lost

[This message has been edited by Fenito (edited Dec 21, 2003).]
Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:49 pm

I've always maintained that the TSA searches for "pointy objects" (i.e. manicure scissors) just so they can have an excuse to open a bag and take a look. Personally, if I saw illegal drugs in a bag, I wouldn't say a thing, afterall, I'm not law enforcement and I don't work for the DEA. OTOH, a knife or handgun would warrant a response based on the 40 hours of TSA McTraining I have received.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FliesWay2Much:
How about something like this --

"Upon entering the checkpoint, the TSA advises passengers that, in addition to screening for pointy objects, we have taken it upon ourselves to search your person and your belongings and will detain you if the screener finds any illegal items having nothing at all to do with transportation security. These items include, but are not limited to, drugs, bootleg music CDs, illegally copied software, Cuban cigars, or media deemed obscene by local community standards.

Have a nice 4th Amendment Day."
</font>
Old Dec 13, 2003, 6:06 pm

""Upon entering the checkpoint, the TSA advises passengers that, in addition to screening for pointy objects, we have taken it upon ourselves to search your person and your belongings and will detain you if the screener finds any illegal items having nothing at all to do with transportation security. These items include, but are not limited to, drugs, bootleg music CDs, illegally copied software, Cuban cigars, or media deemed obscene by local community standards.

Have a nice 4th Amendment Day." "

TSA would never do it, they don't want to be responsble for telling the truth.

Not to mention, it might cause sudden heart-attacks and such.

Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fenito:
I will argue the drug point. If I find drugs on someones person, yes I am going to notify the law enforcement. Large sums of money, same thing. I'm sorry, but I lost a younger brother to drugs and alchohol. They're illegal, you shouldn't have them in your possession. We can argue whether or not, all day long, if drugs should be illegal or whether TSA should be reporting drugs and money or what not. But I'm arguing my side. Not the side of TSA. </font>
You should stand behind your beliefs. From what you wrote, I would expect you to take LEO action if you found drugs. To bad you also must stand behind some of the stupid beliefs of the TSA as well. I know...it's the best job around for the time being....Please stay in baggage.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:29 pm

For the longest time, security seemed to be the only job hiring people. I know I looked for months before 9/11 and had no luck, of course I was 18 and had no real experience.

But what I found out, at least in my area, was no one was hiring. A lot of people with a lot of experience came into security because of this. Some got lucky and got jobs with companies that they had worked with before and such.

Got the job with security about October of 2001 and still work in it. Pretty fast, it hit me how stupid the procedures were when I got into TSA though.

Thats why I've elected to join the military, to get away from the stupidly.

Old Dec 14, 2003, 6:31 am

all is lost

[This message has been edited by Fenito (edited Dec 21, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:48 am

Programs: *wood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fenito:
I will argue the drug point. If I find drugs on someones person, yes I am going to notify the law enforcement. Large sums of money, same thing. I'm sorry, but I lost a younger brother to drugs and alchohol. They're illegal, you shouldn't have them in your possession. We can argue whether or not, all day long, if drugs should be illegal or whether TSA should be reporting drugs and money or what not. But I'm arguing my side. Not the side of TSA. </font>
Sorry to hear that you lost a brother to drugs-- I can really understand where you're coming from. Such a powerful incident would make it very easy and tempting to employ such an emotional response as calling a LEO.

However, I might suggest that doing so at a checkpoint could cause some problems. Depending upon whether or not the drugs were concealed, as well as some other things, your actions could easily lead to that person getting off. If I were their attorney, I would argue that:

- The TSA screener (you) acted in the capacity of a LEO

- Doing such violates 4th amendment rights, as reporting large amounts of money or drugs is outside the scope of the limited search that the TSA is permitted

- There is an expectation of privacy at airport checkpoints; it is extended to all items other than sharp pointy objects that the TSA prohibits. This expectation of privacy was violated.

That should probably be enough to get a judge to throw out the evidence obtained from the illegal search, depending upon the judge's political leanings.

As much as I don't like drug dealers, I dislike the precedent that your actions would set even more. If it's not on the prohibited items list, it's none of the TSA's business-- plain and simple.

If I were a screener and found such items, I would just close the bag, tell the person to have a nice day, and let him/her continue on. Why? Because that's your job. You're there to look for guns, knives, and other weapons, and annoy the occasional passenger-- that's all. Looking for drugs is the business of the Customs officials, not the TSA.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by clrankin:
However, I might suggest that doing so at a checkpoint could cause some problems. Depending upon whether or not the drugs were concealed, as well as some other things, your actions could easily lead to that person getting off. If I were their attorney, I would argue that...
</font>
Haven't drug discoveries by screeners been prosecuted successfully already in the US? I'm just going on a fuzzy memory, anyone have a real answer? I might be remembering poorly referenced stories of airport customs interceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.