Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Passengers to Have Knives

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2003, 8:12 am
Original Poster

First Class Passengers to Have Knives

According to the Houston Chronicle today, the TSA is now allowing steel dinner knives back on board. Northwest started using them on September 16 and Continental will start on November 1. At least that is some progress, but how is that dinner knive different from my little pocket knife that I can't bring on board?
Old Sep 18, 2003, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with you, but those who fear pocketknives will point out that the metal airline dinner knife is not sharp (unlike my razor sharp pocketknife) and has no pointed tip on it (like my razor sharp pocketknife blades).

Maybe someday before I die the morons in charge of the TSA will concede that pocketknives are no longer "prohibited items," but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

I wonder what TSA would think if I had an exact copy of one of the dinner knives authorized now and tried to bring it through security? I'm sure I know the answer, but not the logic.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ND Sol:
I wonder what TSA would think if I had an exact copy of one of the dinner knives authorized now and tried to bring it through security? I'm sure I know the answer, but not the logic.</font>
Round bladed and butter knives, even metal ones (which aptly describe the typical metal airline knife) have been on the permitted item list for several months now.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

When they had them, I always found the airline knives to have a cutting surface, usually a serated blade. A butter knive would not be the same. If that is what the airlines intend to use, we might be better off staying with plastic knives for cutting.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:55 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Round bladed and butter knives, even metal ones (which aptly describe the typical metal airline knife) have been on the permitted item list for several months now.</font>

But has anyone here tried to bring them through security? We all know how CONSISTENT the airports are and of course no individual airport makes it's "rules du jour."

I think that I'll have fun sometime and try this. I love a good challenge. My lawyer is on retainer for things like this.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by iluv2fly:

But has anyone here tried to bring them through security? We all know how CONSISTENT the airports are and of course no individual airport makes it's "rules du jour."

I think that I'll have fun sometime and try this. I love a good challenge. My lawyer is on retainer for things like this.
</font>
Sorry, our weasel clause beats your lawyer anyday.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Well, I'm deadly with a spoon, so watch out when I get ahold of them knives
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
finally! a useful tool to keep the coach passengers out of the first class cabin and away from our lavatory
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by iluv2fly:

</font>
Go for it. Your time and your money either way. Your tax dollars will be spent prosecuting you also.

Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
Go for it. Your time and your money either way. Your tax dollars will be spent prosecuting you also.

</font>
You are a gem, you know that?

Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:56 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:

</font>

Prosecuting him for what? Carrying on an allowed item (F-class knife)? That's productive use of govt. $.

Looks like some of the local justice systems are already taking matters into their own hands regarding silly TSA knife policies--Chicago has already stopped prosecuting people for minor ORD kife offenses (Apparently even TSA knows the policies are silly; the main reason the prosecutions stopped is the agents were't showing up to testify.)
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:22 am

Im going to keep catching them, but I wont show up for a court date if they every try to prosecute someone.

I dont agree with the policy of prosecution of passengers, unless I catch a knife that is illegal to own period, then I would consider going to court.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by screenerx:
Im going to keep catching them, but I wont show up for a court date if they every try to prosecute someone.

I dont agree with the policy of prosecution of passengers, unless I catch a knife that is illegal to own period, then I would consider going to court.
</font>

Catching who? People who bring in LEGAL knives? You make it sound like you get your jollies from harrassing people who are complying with the regs.

And by the way, as long as I am a US citizen, I WILL continue to fight this injustice. If it costs me time and money, so be it. I will not put up with these fascist policies. Is goosestepping part of the training process?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:11 pm

"Im going to keep catching them, but I wont show up for a court date if they every try to prosecute someone.

I dont agree with the policy of prosecution of passengers, unless I catch a knife that is illegal to own period, then I would consider going to court."

How does this statement in anyway, give you an impression that I get jollies out of calling bag checks?

Heck, Ive posted on many threads I dont agree with how harsh the prohibited items list is and I stated in that I dont agree with the policy of bringing charges against people unless you can sure they tried to sneak that knife on.

If you got the idea that I meant round knives, then I see where you got it. I didnt mean round knives, I meant the knives on the list that are still not allowed.

Now if you go to an airport with the intent to make it known that round knives are allowed, dont worry, it's been done. We've had people come in pull the knife out and tell us its round and its allowed.

I replyed to the posts further up the page about screeners not showing up to courtrooms and such.

PS Oh and the only people there going to try and prosecute are people who bring knives with sharp points of 3 1/2"'s or bigger. That should have been the dead give away that I was talking about posts further up the page and not the one about people trying to bring rounded knives.

Dont ever accuse me of going out of my way to harass people or getting jollies off of people who are just trying to get from point a to point b. You dont know me and have no clue what your talking about.

[This message has been edited by screenerx (edited 09-23-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.