Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the ID check?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2003, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Why the ID check?

So what exactly are the ID checks supposed to accomplish anyway? Last week traveling SMF-LAS-SMF, nobody noticed that my brother-in-law's last name on his boarding passes were incorrectly spelled as ESPSNOZA when the correct spelling is ESPINOSA (as reflected in his Mexican passport).

Note that I did contact the airline before traveling to point out the spelling mistake, and his PNR was updated with a comment noting the problem, but the boarding passes still printed the original incorrect name.

We passed through two SMF ID checks and two LAS ID checks - no comments at all were made by the TSA gurus about the name discrepancy.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Because the TSA checks boarding passes to harass travelers, not to improve security.

The airlines check BPs for revenue protection. (So that people don't resell tickets)

It's time to go with one and only one ID check (if that) at the origination of a trip and then no more after that. Any ID checks beyond the one for revenue protection are asinine passenger harassment.

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 06-19-2003).]
Old Jun 19, 2003, 4:04 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Nothing, apparently. After 9-11, I boarded planes at least twice at ORD without showing ID to anyone (thanks to AA's online checkin).

It's to employ extra shoe takers and to protect the airline's revenue streams.

The right thing to do would be to ensure that nobody boards any plane with anything bad, and that people can travel anonymously. See http://freetotravel.org/

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 4:14 pm

The real reason for starting ID checks was revenue based. Remember when you could sell or give someone your ticket and the name on it didn't matter? IMHO, matching your name to your ID picture only proves they match.
Sort of like when you write a check. Where on my DL does it say I have money in my account?
Old Jun 20, 2003, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
Nothing, apparently. After 9-11, I boarded planes at least twice at ORD without showing ID to anyone (thanks to AA's online checkin).

</font>
Thanks for the URL. For a period of time it was possible to check-in online or using a Kiosk and not endure an ID check. This ended when they started checking all IDs and BP's at the security checkpoint.

For the airline, an on-line check-in or use of a Kiosk (must use a credit card/FF card/Drivers License with magnetic strip for ID) met the ID requirement from their viewpoint. This lasted a short time when checks were being done at the gate -- but now that everything has shifted to the checkpoint all BPs & IDs are now checked in my experience (unless someone screws up).

The only time I get checked at the gate for ID (Passport) these days is international travel, which I agree with. It's important the airlines know who is boarding "higher risk flights" by conducting a passport check. It's also necessary for the airlines to ensure the passenger has their passport and any additional documents (Visas, etc).

If the airline does not do this check and they transport a passenger overseas without a passport and/or proper documentation, they will encounter problems. Among these problems are fines and the requirement to transport the passenger back to the point of origin.

While procedures have changed multiple times since 9/11, I believe the only benefit to ID checks for domestic flights is for the airlines (revenue). There is no security benefit.

Prior to the ID checks, it was common for me to switch tickets with other employees when traveling to trade shows. i.e. employee A needs to get back this evening but is ticketed for the following day. I, employee B, have a ticket to depart when employee A wants to leave. I don't mind spending an extra night in Vegas, so we swap tix. He flies out on my flight, I fly out on his the following day. Other people did it all the time as well. No need to re-issue tix and pay change fees, plus difference in cost (usually full fare one-way on return).

However, it all ended when the ID checks started. If you want to depart one day early, be prepared to pay lots o' $$$ (unless on full-fare tix).

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Jun 20, 2003, 7:26 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
What? Do you all mean to say that you missed out on Tom Ridge's annoucement the other day?

From now on, all terrorists will be required to identify themselves as such on their drivers licenses. This way the TSA folks will know who to send in for the anal probing prior to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.