Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saipan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2003, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Saipan

I am leaving soon to assist with the federalization in Saipan. I was told that I won't need a passport because Saipan is a US territory. However, does anyone know if I will have any problems without one if I happen to have a layover in Japan?
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
IMO, nowadays, you don't want to go anywhere outside CONUS w/o a passport. You may not NEED one but they are universally recognized as a valid form of identity. In fact, if you're traveling via commercial airlines, I doubt they'd let you on the plane without a passport. Suggest you apply for one asap. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:12 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tmspa:
I am leaving soon to assist with the federalization in Saipan. I was told that I won't need a passport because Saipan is a US territory. However, does anyone know if I will have any problems without one if I happen to have a layover in Japan?</font>
I am not sure if you will have a problem but you really should get a passport. What would you do if for some reason your flight were delayed or canceled and you had to spend the night in Japan?

http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

You can get an expedited passport if you are in a hurry.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Update:

I was called today and received my orders to deploy to Saipan at 6am on Sunday. The flight goes from Minneapolis to Detroit to Honolulu to Guam to Saipan. Sheesh...they could have made it a little shorter. Well, I guess the flights from Minneapolis to Hawaii were pretty full and they didn't want to send us through Japan because a couple of us don't have passports. I guess there wouldn't be enough time to get one anyway.

Well, wish me luck and hopefully I can find some Net access and check up on the board now and then.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 7:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Have a good trip...sounds like it will be interesting! What's with the "federalization" of Saipan?? I don't know squat about Saipan except for a vague idea of where it is.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Saipan is basically a US territory and will have federal security (TSA)at the airport much like Puerto Rico and Guam.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:
Have a good trip...sounds like it will be interesting! What's with the "federalization" of Saipan?? I don't know squat about Saipan except for a vague idea of where it is.</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.