Wiki Posts
Search

DEN metal detectors set more sensitive?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
DEN metal detectors set more sensitive?

Just went thru PreCheck/Clear in Denver - clearly all of the lines are getting worse
Randomly selected for an ID check - the second time this week
The metal detectors must be tuned differently here as I typically wear the same outfits to travel with - and I basically need to strip down to my shorts here vs many other places I can walk right thru without any problems
Of course, also randomly selected for having my electronics screened
...must be my lucky day?

this stuff continues to get worse

(of course, 1 drain being out didnt help either)
Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by mfirst
The metal detectors must be tuned differently here as I typically wear the same outfits to travel with - and I basically need to strip down to my shorts here vs many other places I can walk right thru without any problems
If you are referring to the one on the far left, closest to CLEAR entry, I have to agree. A belt, my Apple Watch, my work lanyard, all set that off and don't have any impact at any other airport.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I have to agree. A belt, my Apple Watch, my work lanyard, all set that off and don't have any impact at any other airport.
I guess I'm so scarred by that metal detector that I take off my belt and smartwatch in any airport in the world.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I guess I'm so scarred by that metal detector that I take off my belt and smartwatch in any airport in the world.
Are you holding your watch or raising your arm over your head and it is still alarming?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Are you holding your watch or raising your arm over your head and it is still alarming?
I chuck it into an outer pocket of my carry-on or backpack with my wallet, belt, phone, earbuds, and car keys.
SFO 1K and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:00 am

I haven't set it off at Denver, but just set it off at SFO. (Precheck/Clear queue.)
I always divest my wallet and wristwatch. The belt was the culprit at SFO, but I was wearing the same one at Denver, Phoenix, and Los Angeles.
It was a "long beep" at Cleveland, so that was a random.

Although one could argue that this is "inconsistently inconsistent," I would argue that archways are imperfect.

I am convinced that the metal detectors at YYZ will respond to iron inside red blood cells. Pro tip: donate blood weekly, and do not consume any meat, beans, tofu, etc. at least six months prior to travel.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
walked thru MSY TSA (past the pictures of all the guns they picked up this year) with the same outfit, watch, belt, shoes, jewelry, etc that I usually wear - walked right thru and nothing..... maybe it is the altitude?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I set off the WTMD at MCI and EWR this weekend I believe it was my Apple Watch Ultra which I've been wearing for months with no issues. I removed my watch at MCI and walked through without issue. I do have two metal CC's in my wallet, though I don't believe those are the reason for the alarm. I would not be surprised if they have increased the intensity of the WTMDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.