Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Wrapping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Luggage wrapping - to/from USA

Since a while ago I always wrap my luggage for my international long-haul flights wit connections to protect the luggage from damage and theft. Since I'm based in BKK the service is quite reasonable (THB 150 / USD 5 per piece) compare to other airports. I will have a flight with QR from BKK-CMB-DOH-PHL and would like to wrap it again. Is there anything to consider as I fly into the US and are there any special guidelines because of TSA? Is there the possibility to wrap my luggage in PHL for the return flight?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
While I personally don’t wrap my luggage my casual observation is that it is less and less used and available than a few years ago. We’ve traveled to and from Europe and most recently the Middle East quite a bit in the last five years and I remember early on that there were kiosk or service points that advertised and offered luggage wrapping. Again I don’t go looking for them but I don’t remember seeing one of those recently. I also have noticed fewer wrapped bags coming off the carousels. Could be security concerns, from TSA and others, have made wrapping less attractive or it could be a fad that while maybe still available has faded over recent years. I know a cruise line we sail with once offered the service but I don’t recall that being available the last two or three years.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If someone wants to steal from your bag, they'll cut through the wrapping. You'll know something is missing anyways, so the wrapping isn't a deterrent.

Wrap if you want, but on flights out of the US, TSA frequently does look into bags, so you have a good chance of paying for something that will be removed a few minutes after you hand your bag off to the airline.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
If someone wants to steal from your bag, they'll cut through the wrapping. You'll know something is missing anyways, so the wrapping isn't a deterrent.

Wrap if you want, but on flights out of the US, TSA frequently does look into bags, so you have a good chance of paying for something that will be removed a few minutes after you hand your bag off to the airline.
Funny you should mention the "cutting" part. A couple of days ago in SFO we couldn't help notice (and comment) on the sweat inducing efforts of 4 people vs 1 wrapped suitcase. The comment I made to my wife was "well, since you can't bring a knife on the plane..." to which she lightly laughed.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lfcfan
Funny you should mention the "cutting" part. A couple of days ago in SFO we couldn't help notice (and comment) on the sweat inducing efforts of 4 people vs 1 wrapped suitcase. The comment I made to my wife was "well, since you can't bring a knife on the plane..." to which she lightly laughed.
Generally, at least small scissors are allowed (in the US and UK and places in Europe I've traversed, at least).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by lfcfan
Never had it done myself (would if had to check in my carry-on as it's not designed for the hold) but have checked it out and, from what I understand, the passenger with the wrapped bag receives a free removal tool.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:43 pm

Luggage Wrapping

Has anyone used a luggage wrapping service and found the wrapping removed upon baggage retrieval?

I don't pack light, so I often have a checked bag for international trips. I am becoming more concerned about smuggling, drugs in particular. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but if someone(s) internal to the airport have the capability to stick something in my bag and ship it home, it seems that in the US (and many other countries), if contraband is found, I am guilty until proven innocent.

Perhaps luggage wrap is a solution, but not if it is routinely removed for bag inspection?

(Again, being a bit paranoid, when returning from certain countries, I do thoroughly check the contents of the bag to be checked including the bag itself. P.S. It is not my intent to get into Omni territory here.)

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by lamphs
Has anyone used a luggage wrapping service and found the wrapping removed upon baggage retrieval?

I don't pack light, so I often have a checked bag for international trips. I am becoming more concerned about smuggling, drugs in particular. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but if someone(s) internal to the airport have the capability to stick something in my bag and ship it home, it seems that in the US (and many other countries), if contraband is found, I am guilty until proven innocent.

Perhaps luggage wrap is a solution, but not if it is routinely removed for bag inspection?

(Again, being a bit paranoid, when returning from certain countries, I do thoroughly check the contents of the bag to be checked including the bag itself. P.S. It is not my intent to get into Omni territory here.)

Thanks!
Late reply but I wrap them a lot as have multiple connecting flights and has never experienced it yet. But now in YYZ if it is wrapped then you have to check it at the oversized belt. It is funny but AC got me to do it recently and they did not do so earlier on.
lamphs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.