Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free Shopping After Preclearance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Duty Free Shopping After Preclearance

When there is duty free shopping after you get through preclearance what prevents you from exceeding your duty free limit on alcohol purchases (say if I bought 2L of scotch)?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by danib62
When there is duty free shopping after you get through preclearance what prevents you from exceeding your duty free limit on alcohol purchases (say if I bought 2L of scotch)?
The actual duty due on alcohol imported into the US is so low that it's generally not worth the time for CBP to collect the revenue. If you can carry it, there's effectively no duty. The actual duty calculation is very complex, but it works out to something like $5 USD per gallon of 100% alcohol or something like that.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I’ve seen signs indicating you should self report.
IAD_flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.