Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Clearing ATL TSA the day/night prior to flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 7:03 pm
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

I was wondering, if I fly into ATL and then go landside, but wish to return airside later in the day (I have a flight the next morning ~7am, but not an onwards ticket for that day) and plane spot would TSA let me through on the next day's boarding pass?
Old May 11, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Unlikely
Old May 11, 2022, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
I believe you can. If I understand what you're saying, you have a flight the next morning.
As long as you have a boarding pass for the next flight, TSA should let you through and it won't invalidate the boarding pass.
I was staying at a hotel adjacent the Cincinnati airport last year and their restaurant was serving limited cold-only choices.
I walked over to the airport for dinner, knowing there would be several places open. I asked the TSA agent if I could enter on my boarding pass then for the following morning flight and not invalidate it. He had to check with a supervisor who confirmed that I could indeed use it to come through. And I did, and it worked fine again the following morning.
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:49 pm
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
I believe you can. If I understand what you're saying, you have a flight the next morning.
As long as you have a boarding pass for the next flight, TSA should let you through and it won't invalidate the boarding pass.
I was staying at a hotel adjacent the Cincinnati airport last year and their restaurant was serving limited cold-only choices.
I walked over to the airport for dinner, knowing there would be several places open. I asked the TSA agent if I could enter on my boarding pass then for the following morning flight and not invalidate it. He had to check with a supervisor who confirmed that I could indeed use it to come through. And I did, and it worked fine again the following morning.
Yes, I have a flight the next morning. I'm in a similar situation to you and am staying at the airport Hilton. Hopefully they are okay with it! Thanks!
Old May 11, 2022, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My data point: Once at MSP, my luggage was on the next flight. The luggage service person wanted to encourage me to stay at the airport and wait for it. I said I'd do that only if I could wait at the SkyClub for an hour or so (as an arriving passenger, the horror!), but I didn't think TSA would let me re-enter airside. The agent insisted that there was a rule that if you had a boarding pass for arrival into the airport that day, yo could re-enter airside but you wouldn't be able to do PreCheck. Sure enough, TSA didn't blink and I was able to go airside without any issue.
flyerCO and SUPERTRAVEL like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by doc4science
I was wondering, if I fly into ATL and then go landside, but wish to return airside later in the day (I have a flight the next morning ~7am, but not an onwards ticket for that day) and plane spot would TSA let me through on the next day's boarding pass?
yes. Think about it, there's redeyes that depart shortlyafter midnight. Otherwise they couldn't get through till midnight. Same day really refers to fact you can't get BP till T-24 of 1st flight.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My data point: Once at MSP, my luggage was on the next flight. The luggage service person wanted to encourage me to stay at the airport and wait for it. I said I'd do that only if I could wait at the SkyClub for an hour or so (as an arriving passenger, the horror!), but I didn't think TSA would let me re-enter airside. The agent insisted that there was a rule that if you had a boarding pass for arrival into the airport that day, yo could re-enter airside but you wouldn't be able to do PreCheck. Sure enough, TSA didn't blink and I was able to go airside without any issue.
I've been told this also. Did it @ SAT to wait for pickup at UA CLUB. (Back when didn't need to fly UA to access)

Just FWIW. you can access any terminal at an airport even if airline flying doesn't operate there. This was done to try and help shops @ airports.
MSPeconomist and SUPERTRAVEL like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just FWIW. you can access any terminal at an airport even if airline flying doesn't operate there. This was done to try and help shops @ airports.
Aka the TSA reader doesnt validate the terminal when it scans, just the airport (or the terminal isn't included in the barcode data more likely). Also makes me wonder if it specifically looks for the departing airport, or just that the airport exists on the boarding pass when it is scanned.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Boarding passes aren't "one-time-use", passing through security doesn't "invalidate" them, you can go back and forth airside/landside repeatedly with the same BP.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Boarding passes aren't "one-time-use", passing through security doesn't "invalidate" them, you can go back and forth airside/landside repeatedly with the same BP.
And that's what I learned at CVG that evening. But I asked to make sure.
Also, I believe TSA told me that the flight departure had to be 12 hours or less (or did he say 24 hours, not sure?) for them to accept the boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.