Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US customs and gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

US customs and gold

Folks - am I allowed to bring in under $10,000 in gold coins back to the USA from another country for gifting purposes without being asked questions? That's what the Customs declaration form seems to indicate but I'm not sure if they are referring to wearable jewelry vs coins/bars

Not sure if it's relevant but I do have some jewelry that belongs to my family in an Asian country and looking to re-gift it to some younger family members here. Also, will I be listing total value in section 15 on customs form and then putting Gold in description of articles?

Thank you
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Are you talking about $10,000 in face value, or $10,000 in current market value?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

I guess US customs would look at current market value so let's go with that. I'll obviously try to keep it lower to be on the safe side like 9k and I can have it evaluated too before flying
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what the U.S. CBP has to say about importing gold coins:

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: QF, LM
Originally Posted by sam007
Folks - am I allowed to bring in under $10,000 in gold coins back to the USA from another country for gifting purposes without being asked questions? That's what the Customs declaration form seems to indicate but I'm not sure if they are referring to wearable jewelry vs coins/bars

Not sure if it's relevant but I do have some jewelry that belongs to my family in an Asian country and looking to re-gift it to some younger family members here. Also, will I be listing total value in section 15 on customs form and then putting Gold in description of articles?

Thank you
Hi there sam007,
a couple of points from my experience....
First up, the $10,000 rule is fairly universal - as all countries need to have a baseline for you to have to declare things. Where you can fall foul of this is where you are carrying multiple forms of value that exceed this limit. Just be aware that the $10,000 is the total of all such convertible things - your gold plus any cash you carry, jewellery, etc. I think this is a concept many do not understand. If you have $9,000 in gold, but also happen to have a gold necklace worth $500, plus $600 in whatever currency, you are actually above the limit.

Second thing is that "gold" is not "gold" - depending on the purity it will have different values. Unless it is some sort of 999 pure bullion, the actual value has to be determined by the assay of it - if you intend to be near the limit, you should make some attempt to get some sort of documentation to establish its real worth. This will help you in an airport conversation scenario.

Third and lastly, if you are kosher, and are not trying to do an improper thing, it is far better to declare it all and talk to them, rather than being found out. When you declare something you start of on a good footing - and things will be reasonably worked through. If you do not declare things, you start off from the entirely different position, and this usually does not go well. Gold is perhaps one of the things most easily detectable by even rudimentary scanning, as it is simply a very dense item that can be picked up by even the most primitive of scanners.

So in summary, if you think you are even near the limit - declare it and talk to them. Far better this than being challenged and them taking from you everything.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that it's important to distinguish between the two different kinds of reporting involved here. The FINCEN reporting is required when the total value of all monetary instruments being brought in or out of the U.S. exceeds $10,000. But Customs requires that one declare all gold being imported into the U.S., regardless of its value. From the link I posted above:

"There is no duty on gold coins, medals or bullion but these items must be declared to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer. Please note a FINCEN 105 form must be completed at the time of entry for monetary instruments over $10,000. This includes currency, ie. gold coins, valued over $10,000."
juddles likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at this thread in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum:
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by juddles
Hi there sam007,
a couple of points from my experience....

So in summary, if you think you are even near the limit - declare it and talk to them. Far better this than being challenged and them taking from you everything.
This. But even better, so as to prevent any surprises upon arrival, is to simply contact Customs before you leave and ask them your questions with the specifics of your situation and you can rely on their answers more than you can rely on the answers not from actual Customs officers in a discussion forum (however accurate they are).

And certain types of coins are always prohibited no matter their value.

Remember there is no limit on how much you are allowed to bring in but there are limits on how much you can bring in without being required to declare. Declaring, even if well below the limit, can always be done. Depending upon how much you are bringing, be prepared to be able to document how you legitimately obtained them. In some cases, US law enforcement authorities have broad discretion to seize assets on the spot if the officers believe the assets were not obtained legitimately. The process to get the assets returned is lengthy, arduous and usually costly.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Section 107
And certain types of coins are always prohibited no matter their value.
U.S. Customs & Border Protection - Regulations for importing bullion, gold coins, and medals into the United States
Gold coins, medals, and bullion may be brought into the U.S. However, under regulations administered by theOffice of Foreign Assets Control, such items originating in or brought from, Cuba, Iran, and Sudan* are prohibited entry.

Copies of gold coins are prohibited if not properly marked by the country of issuance. The importation of counterfeit coins is prohibited.

There is no duty on gold coins, medals or bullion but these items must be declared to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer. Please note aFINCEN 105 form must be completed at the time of entry for monetary instruments over $10,000. This includes currency, ie. gold coins, valued over $10,000.

If you have doubt whether your gold/gold coin is considered a monetary instrument it is in your best interest to declare the item(s) with a CBP Officer, so you do not give a false declaration.

*There is no duty on gold coins, medals or bullion but these items must be declared to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.