Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Quarantine Question - US Citizen Traveling to the US for Under 14 Days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

Hi,
I am a dual EU/US citizen that is hoping to travel to the US in June for 10 days.
In reading the Homeland Security information it says I would be subject to a 14-day quarantine.
Could someone tell me if this is a voluntary or mandated quarantine.
Also, if the quarantine is for 14 days, is a 10-day trip even possible?
I guess I potentially have *some* (not a ton) comfort in knowing that I have already had Covid-19 and recovered fully.

Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have read the same Order as everyone else. How could it be more clear?

"All American citizens, legal permanent residents, and their immediate families who are returning from the impacted area must self-quarantine for 14 days after their arrival."

I doubt that any air carrier will permit you to board a flight to the US if your return is <14 days.

<redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 26, 2020 at 2:45 pm Reason: FT Rule 12.1: Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Hi,
I am a dual EU/US citizen that is hoping to travel to the US in June for 10 days.
In reading the Homeland Security information it says I would be subject to a 14-day quarantine.
Could someone tell me if this is a voluntary or mandated quarantine.
Also, if the quarantine is for 14 days, is a 10-day trip even possible?
I guess I potentially have *some* (not a ton) comfort in knowing that I have already had Covid-19 and recovered fully.

Thanks.
It’s a required self-quarantine in the US — or at least that is how it is presented at times — but the chances of any government authority coming around to a home to check an arriving individual for compliance on this seems to be low (to put it generously) at least for those without symptoms reported.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1

I doubt that any air carrier will permit you to board a flight to the US if your return is <14 daysdays.

<redacted by moderator>
Based on what information do you say that any carrier will deny me boarding? Do you have any sources?

Last edited by bostontraveler; Apr 26, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:25 pm

Considering our President has stated everyone was being screened when no one was being screened I find it hard to believe anything. Further if someone thinks screening is taking a temperature with a FLIR camera that is comical. The fact that so much incorrect info is from the very top person, Our President Trump, in the USA is beyond disturbing.

Last edited by Centurion; Apr 26, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just book a longer stay and then change return as needed. I suspect by June things will look much better anyways and even recently it was all self quarantine afaik.. i had colleagues return from China in March and they were just waived through...
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
I (USC) flew in on April 2nd from Asia. Not one question about my health or where I would be quarantining. Customs officer was more interested in my dog and her vacs than me... Go figure. Pathetic really.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would think if the return trip was on another airlines the OP might be able to do it (I'm not saying he/she should). There's no outbound customs so now way to check how long you've been in the US. It's highly doubtful any of the authorities are going to check up on the OP. Possibly the OP would have issues being admitted into the EU if passport stamps show less than 14 days in the US.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I would think if the return trip was on another airlines the OP might be able to do it (I'm not saying he/she should). There's no outbound customs so now way to check how long you've been in the US. It's highly doubtful any of the authorities are going to check up on the OP. Possibly the OP would have issues being admitted into the EU if passport stamps show less than 14 days in the US.
i have two passports- a US one to enter the US and an Italian one to enter Europe. I’m a French resident so no problem on the Europe side. Or at least that’s what I think!
Old May 10, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: RFC

"All American citizens, legal permanent residents, and their immediate families who are returning from the impacted area must self-quarantine for 14 days after their arrival."

I doubt that any air carrier will permit you to board a flight to the US if your return is <14 days.
The order says "must", but there is close to zero enforcement. Not even a requirement to provide a location. Couple that with the US running zero departure regime and *I* doubt that any airline would care one iota if someone showed up at the airport inside the 14 day period. After all, how often do airlines actually stop and check arrival date during check in for departure?
Old May 10, 2020, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
The order says "must", but there is close to zero enforcement. Not even a requirement to provide a location. Couple that with the US running zero departure regime and *I* doubt that any airline would care one iota if someone showed up at the airport inside the 14 day period. After all, how often do airlines actually stop and check arrival date during check in for departure?
Exactly.

It was never a law. Even the text states that one should follow “CDC best practices”- not follow “legislation ABC section 123” or face x penalties.

My trip ended up being canceled anyway and by no means did I intend to break any law (which didn’t exist anyway and which was why I asked the question...) but to your point it doesn’t seem there was any enforcement of this whatsoever.

The health authorities have been so overrun that I doubt they would even have resources allocated for this.

Very different from what we have seen in a few other countries where people are immediately brought to hotels or are asked for their addresses and are checked in on and tracked.

“ Once home, individuals must immediately self-quarantine in their home and monitor their health in accordance with CDC best practices.

In order to ensure compliance, local and State public health officials will contact individuals in the days and weeks following”
Old May 11, 2020, 8:49 am
Suspended

<redacted by moderator>
Fake News.
This is NOT a Presidential Proclamation. It is a DHS Notice.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/...untries-europe

The Presidential Proclamation can be found here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:55 am

Question US citizen expat needing to briefly return to the US. Question on 2-week quarantine.

I'm a US citizen residing in Ireland and I must make a quick trip back to Chicago to handle a family affair. I land July 11 and must return to Ireland July 15 making my total time in the US less than 2 weeks. I'm aware of self quarantine requirements upon my return to Ireland. My question concerns my return ORD > DUB leg.

I read this line on the CDC website: "All international travelers should stay home for 14 days after their arrival into the United States." The keyword there is "should". Does anyone have any firsthand experience on whether this is actually enforced?

Thank you.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by roamingexpat
I'm a US citizen residing in Ireland and I must make a quick trip back to Chicago to handle a family affair. I land July 11 and must return to Ireland July 15 making my total time in the US less than 2 weeks. I'm aware of self quarantine requirements upon my return to Ireland. My question concerns my return ORD > DUB leg.

I read this line on the CDC website: "All international travelers should stay home for 14 days after their arrival into the United States." The keyword there is "should". Does anyone have any firsthand experience on whether this is actually enforced?

Thank you.
Believe me or not - while CDC mentions about self-quarantine, it is not actually a requirement. The Executive Order applying to Ireland does not indicate you have to do that. And I am not aware of any emergency regulations imposing self-quarantine.

So in theory, you are good to go, assuming you can re-enter Ireland.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Believe me or not - while CDC mentions about self-quarantine, it is not actually a requirement. The Executive Order applying to Ireland does not indicate you have to do that. And I am not aware of any emergency regulations imposing self-quarantine.

So in theory, you are good to go, assuming you can re-enter Ireland.
Thank you for your quick response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.