Search

SSSS *despite* having a Redress Number

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
SSSS *despite* having a Redress Number

Hi everyone,

My apologies if this has already been discussed in other SSSS-related threads (there are so many!)

I am a dual Belgian/Algerian citizen currently living in France. After two trips to the United States (2017 and 2018) where I got enhanced security checks, where I was questioned by a DHS agent, AND got the SSSS on my boarding pass, I applied for the DHS Trip program and a few weeks later I got my Redress Number.

Last month I flew to Boston (via Amsterdam) with my boyfriend. I had double and triple-checked (even contacted Delta) to make sure my Redress Number had been added to my reservation. But lo and behold, on the day prior to our departure, I was unable to check-in online and obtain my boarding pass (my boyfriend however had no issues whatsoever). And of course, the next day I was entitled to all the SSSS shenanigans.

So my question is... isn't the Redress Number supposed to "clear" you of any extra security checks? Granted this is more of a nuisance than anything else but applying for a Redress Number did take some time and I'm really hoping it wasn't all for nothing.

I'd love to hear other peoples' experience and insight!

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:34 pm

Redress number doesn’t help you from not getting any SSSS. Many with redress number still get this on flight home to USA.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
Hi everyone,

My apologies if this has already been discussed in other SSSS-related threads (there are so many!)

I am a dual Belgian/Algerian citizen currently living in France. After two trips to the United States (2017 and 2018) where I got enhanced security checks, where I was questioned by a DHS agent, AND got the SSSS on my boarding pass, I applied for the DHS Trip program and a few weeks later I got my Redress Number.

Last month I flew to Boston (via Amsterdam) with my boyfriend. I had double and triple-checked (even contacted Delta) to make sure my Redress Number had been added to my reservation. But lo and behold, on the day prior to our departure, I was unable to check-in online and obtain my boarding pass (my boyfriend however had no issues whatsoever). And of course, the next day I was entitled to all the SSSS shenanigans.

So my question is... isn't the Redress Number supposed to "clear" you of any extra security checks? Granted this is more of a nuisance than anything else but applying for a Redress Number did take some time and I'm really hoping it wasn't all for nothing.

I'd love to hear other peoples' experience and insight!

Thanks
Using TRIP to get a redress number and using it doesn’t mean you can’t still repeatedly get SSSS flagging at time of check-in (or even at times after check-in) for flights to the US. The SSSS flaggings on US-bound trips aren’t all at direct direction from US DHS’s electronic feedback to the airlines, for much of the flagging can depend upon the airline/airline security contractor used instead of just US DHS.

Redress numbers can help with the US DHS electronic feedback for the SSSS flagging, but the TRIP redress numbers (like Global Entry/PreCheck trusted traveler numbers) does little (although increasingly more in the case of TTNs) to nothing with regard to some of the airlines/security contractor-directed SSSS hits on US-bound flights.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:58 am

If I am not wrong , can Redress number help you from not getting SSSS on domestic flights within the states? Do people get SSSS on only international flight to and from US? I have redress number and I rarely fly but I did fly domestic twice in last 12 months and got no SSSS but on return trip from Asia, I got SSSS both times. My wife got her first SSSS on flight from Canada on United . Some said SSSS is common on united airlines flight from Canada to USA
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:16 am

JournoFlyer There are two separate systems:
SSSS for flights departing FROM United States (domestic or international)
SSSS for flights operating TO the United States or sometimes between points outside of the United States.

The redress number should mitigate SSSS status for domestic flights within the US. It should also work for flights that are departing the US for other countries.

The system used for flights TO the United States has a higher percentage of passengers assigned to selectee or SSSS status
Passengers with redress numbers, TSA Precheck enrollment, and Global Entry are thus subject to SSSS on these flights. The redress number doesn't make a difference.

It is particularly ridiculous that redress, Global Entry, and PreCheck do not apply to these flights, but--well--that's the system that the US Government has in place.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Mats
JournoFlyer There are two separate systems:
SSSS for flights departing FROM United States (domestic or international)
SSSS for flights operating TO the United States or sometimes between points outside of the United States.

The redress number should mitigate SSSS status for domestic flights within the US. It should also work for flights that are departing the US for other countries.

The system used for flights TO the United States has a higher percentage of passengers assigned to selectee or SSSS status
Passengers with redress numbers, TSA Precheck enrollment, and Global Entry are thus subject to SSSS on these flights. The redress number doesn't make a difference.

It is particularly ridiculous that redress, Global Entry, and PreCheck do not apply to these flights, but--well--that's the system that the US Government has in place.
Thanks for clarifying.

The discrepancy is really puzzling--when I applied for a TRIP redress number, the form specifically asked me to mention occasions when I was singled out for extra security screening. So presumably, I had thought, the redress number would help me avoid that in the future. I might try to call them to get more information directly, but it seems like there isn't much I can do. Thank you everyone!
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:34 am

still SSSS DESPITE redress

I started getting SSSS at the end of April, returning internationally back to US. Then immediately SSSS again on my domestic flight the same day. I immediately submitted for redress I think beginning of May. And I was surprised I got an email back on May 31st Seems like a standard email PDF file, "we can't deny or confirm anything blah blah blah, and you can add the redress number on top to your future reservations".

The letter was sent through email on May 31st. I had an international flight out of US on June 1st, STILL SSSS. Ok fine.

I return from outside of US back to US on June 6th. Got pulled over again to the border police office, asked details about my travels, where I work, blah blah blah

So now I am trying checkin online for a DOMESTIC flight tomorrow June 7th. Still tells me due to security reasons, I need to get my boarding pass at the airport!

WHY??!! anyone have had this experience? what else can do I after this?

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 7, 2021 at 10:43 am Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 2:40 am
Suspended

To which countries did you recently travel?

If you’ve been flagged with the extended selectee list due to recent international travel, the hits from SSSS may drop off after weeks or months on their own and having a TRIP-produced redress number may not make a difference.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
To which countries did you recently travel?

If you’ve been flagged with the extended selectee list due to recent international travel, the hits from SSSS may drop off after weeks or months on their own and having a TRIP-produced redress number may not make a difference.
I traveled to many countries: the trip where I first got SSSS, it was a trip to Turkey, then North Macedonia then Albania
Several months before that trip, it was Egypt and Croatia

what's an "extended selectee list"
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SSSSmiserable
I traveled to many countries: the trip where I first got SSSS, it was a trip to Turkey, then North Macedonia then Albania
Several months before that trip, it was Egypt and Croatia

what's an "extended selectee list"
Formally, it’s known as the expanded selectee list.

Here’s the 2013 version of the government’s watchlisting guidance:

https://www.eff.org/files/2014/07/24...guidance_1.pdf

ESL/ESEL is mentioned on page 54 of the original guidance file.

Travel to Turkey has resulted in others ending up as ESLees for some weeks or several months after travel to Turkey:

Travel to/thru Turkey and SSSS

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 9, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.