Vintage guitar - CITES inspection at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:48 am
QG
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, SQ TPPS
Vintage guitar - CITES inspection at LAX

Hi folks,

I'm travelling to Australia with a 1969 vintage guitar made of Brazilian Rosewood which in the "dire extinction" category of CITES (due largely to furniture makers, not guitar makers, but let's not go there...) I've organized the necessary export permit. What happens on day of travel? I understand the permit needs to get stamped and somebody will want to inspect the guitar, but where exactly is that done? Is there a USDA or FWS station at TBIT that I go to? Hopefully not an extra-terminal jaunt...!

Hopefully somebody will have done this before out of LAX?!

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: US Gold
I wish I could help you, but CITES is the reason I wouldn't want to travel with such a special guitar. I'm guessing you're a professional and have no choice. Good luck. (I was very grateful when the law came out that my own guitar is made of various very blonde woods that can't be confused with rosewood!)

wg
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:40 am
QG
Original Poster

Pro, me? Haha - people pay me to stop...

No, just bought it and working out how to get it home... This is my first time as well, hence the question about the logistics. Hopefully it won't be too onerous.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
CITES is handled by FWS not USDA. Would suggest you go to FWS.gov and contact a local office to ask procedure.

Next time I hear you play will drop a gold coin- well, a Kiwi coin.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:42 am

Try calling the local inspector's office with FWS: https://www.fws.gov/offices/Director...?OrgCode=99166

LAX is a big enough airport that FWS probably keeps an office there; hopefully you don't actually have to go to Torrance.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:57 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Fellow guitar player here. Here's a link that's guided my travels.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/201...ewood-guitars/

If your guitar or instrument was made before 2nd January 2017, you won’t need any certification to travel with your guitar. In addition, the law only requires you to produces a CITES Certificate if you’re carrying over 10kg of Rosewood,which is highly unlikely – you do have to travel WITH your guitar though.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:41 pm
QG
Original Poster

@mkt - thanks for that link, that's interesting reading, albeit from a European perspective. I've been consulting other sources as well and I suspect this article relates to all other species of Rosewood (East Indian etc.) since they were listed on CITES Appendix II in 2017. Brazilian Rosewood was listed in Appendix I in 1992 and is more strictly regulated, I know that Australian customs require a US export permit which needs to be stamped on exiting the USA, so no way around this, I'm afraid.

In fact in a comment halfway down the page, the author does say this:
Lee Glynn3rd April 2018
Hi Bill, as it's under 10kg of Rosewood being exported you should be fine exporting that guitar with the US CITES certificate, based on what we know of the CITES regulations so far. As it's Brazilian rosewoood, you will need the US CITES certification at all times, so best to keep it on hand. Lee
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:24 am
QG
Original Poster

So, I managed to contact FWS. Here's how it works: Apply for (up to 90 days in advance!) and receive necessary permits, submitting eDecs etc as necessary. 48hrs prior to departure, phone the local FWS station and book an appointment for an FWS officer to inspect and validate your permit(s). On the day of departure, the FWS officer will meet you as arranged, usually at the check in counter area to complete the inspection and sign off the permit(s). Inspections organized after hours are subject to a (currently $200) fee.

Hopefully that's useful for somebody down the line...
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
JAL NRT to SAN with guitar

I'll be flying back to San Diego from Tokyo in a few months and I have a Sakurai classical guitar that I am anxious to keep safe.
I'll be flying JAL and I wondered if they might let me put it in their onboard closet if I fly business class. Does anyone have experience with instruments on JAL?

I guess I also have to check that this guitar does not have Brazilian rosewood. I think it is Indian rosewood. It was made in 2010, and I think the date is important as far as the rosewood goes.

Any first hand information on these questions would be gratefully received .

Thanks much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.