Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No customs forms any more when returning to US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No customs forms any more when returning to US?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Note that even without the form you can still be flagged when exiting customs - I got asked a few question after collecting luggage, I think because I had my daughter's bag (she exited early with Mrs. B) on the cart which maybe looked strange. But he waived us through when I told him we only had cookies and candy. I'll take a few random questions over the idiotic x-ray any day.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:15 am

[left]
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Note that even without the form you can still be flagged when exiting customs - I got asked a few question after collecting luggage, I think because I had my daughter's bag (she exited early with Mrs. B) on the cart which maybe looked strange. But he waived us through when I told him we only had cookies and candy. I'll take a few random questions over the idiotic x-ray any day.

it happened to me also in ATL. On my way out from baggage claim, I was selected for a “ random “ survey. The officer was very pleasant. Followed him to side belts, opened my bigger suitcase that had some store bought coffee and chocolates. He briefly browsed through it, asked a couple of questions like address and zip code , then asked me to close the bag and exit. He was very polite the whole time. When you’re going to get taxed or fine on items, they let you know on the spot, right?

Last edited by Blissfulpri; Jul 29, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
So am I right in assuming you no longer have to declare items purchased abroad then? I feel like CBP always made it a big deal to declare items being brought in. If I’m bringing more then my exemption allows how would the average person know how or where to declare those items? Or is CBP just not focused on collecting duty anymore?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by freeagent
So am I right in assuming you no longer have to declare items purchased abroad then? I feel like CBP always made it a big deal to declare items being brought in. If I’m bringing more then my exemption allows how would the average person know how or where to declare those items? Or is CBP just not focused on collecting duty anymore?
Why would you assume that? The kiosk and/or immigration officer will still ask questions about what you bought.. just no forms.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Why would you assume that? The kiosk and/or immigration officer will still ask questions about what you bought.. just no forms.
I get that you are still declaring items through GE or kiosks, but not having been up to an immigration booth for years, it sounds like it is now up to the immigration officer to record the items you’re declaring. It’s welcome to see CBP focus their efforts on targeting items which are possibly disruptive or harmful to the population.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by freeagent

I get that you are still declaring items through GE or kiosks, but not having been up to an immigration booth for years, it sounds like it is now up to the immigration officer to record the items you’re declaring. It’s welcome to see CBP focus their efforts on targeting items which are possibly disruptive or harmful to the population.
It may have been determined it was more efficient simply to ask and make an assessment based on the oral answer than trying to read the scribbles on a form, and then following-up. Law enforcement often assesses the demeanor of a person giving an oral answer to determine whether follow-up is worthwhile.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:36 am

I spent Christmas in Florida last year (2019) and normally CBP forms are handed out during the flight, but they weren't, but I always use the downloadable form and fill it out on my computer beforehand anyways
When I got to the security/border bit in Tampa, the CBP guy said no he didn't want the form, which surprised me, but I'm glad, as it did cut down the time to get through security/border protection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.