Current Security Protocols

Old Feb 19, 19, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Current Security Protocols

Have not traveled internationally in a while. This may be a redundant question, but Does Security still make men take off their belt and shoes before scanning? What about taking out a laptop and turning it on?
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Assuming you are departing from the USA and unless you have PreCheck, yes to all except turning on a laptop. It applies to all travel regardless of the final destination.
Mahsa likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Assuming you are departing from the USA and unless you have PreCheck, yes to all except turning on a laptop. It applies to all travel regardless of the final destination.
Yes, departing from JFK to Thailand on KAL. You know, the last time I traveled, both my wife and I were pulled out of the regular line and told we had Pre-Check. I have no idea how we got it as I never applied for it.

Thanks............................................ ...........
Old Feb 19, 19, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta, United
It is/was to go away but some airlines still have the ability to give select customers PreCheck. Also PAX 75 and over can receive expedited screening (PreCheck). So check your boarding passes. If you have it, then when going through coats come off but shoes stay on and laptops stay in their bags. However, I always recommend that people remove and store anything with metal in their carryons (I do not use the bins or bowls). Never know how sensitive the metal detectors will be. So why chance getting a rejected and have to go through the <whole body scanner>.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 19, 19 at 7:07 pm Reason: Term not used in this forum
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, no carrier has the ability to "give" Pre-Check to anyone. Rather, DHS (TSA) does randomly and no so randomly provide it to some people sometimes. When DHS does so, the BP prints with the Pre-Check logo.