Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Travelling from Germany to sweden without an Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

My girlfriend lives in Germany and was planning a visit to me, but what she forgot was that she dont have an passport. She does have an german ID, is that an acceptable ID to travel with by flight?

Ive tried to read about it and it says that she can go between borders but it doesnt say anything about flights, would be really happy if someone could help me with this!!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT. Yes, a German ID will work for airline flights: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/sch...ountries-list/
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is true for entry to the country, but airlines might have ID requirements that make a passport necessary. It could depend on the rules of the carrier she is flying.

BTW, what is the girlfriend's nationality? That could also make a difference, even if she has a German ID (which is given to lots of people who aren't citizens of Germany).

It might take time and cost some money, but I would think that anyone living in Europe (or elsewhere really) would want to have a valid passport.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ironhij
Hi,

My girlfriend lives in Germany and was planning a visit to me, but what she forgot was that she dont have an passport. She does have an german ID, is that an acceptable ID to travel with by flight?

Ive tried to read about it and it says that she can go between borders but it doesnt say anything about flights, would be really happy if someone could help me with this!!
I have often flown, for my intra-Schengen trips, from Germany to Stockholm without showing my passport to the airlines. Air Berlin, for example, never asked me for ID in Germany-Sweden routes. For EU nationals, National ID is sufficient even without a passport.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is true for entry to the country, but airlines might have ID requirements that make a passport necessary. It could depend on the rules of the carrier she is flying.

BTW, what is the girlfriend's nationality? That could also make a difference, even if she has a German ID (which is given to lots of people who aren't citizens of Germany).

It might take time and cost some money, but I would think that anyone living in Europe (or elsewhere really) would want to have a valid passport.
For a German or Swede who only travels within the Schengen area, there is no government requirement for a valid passport to travel by air across borders. National ID for such citizens is more than sufficient and more practical in the main than a passport.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Just to be precise, because it may matter. Your said that your girlfriend lives in Germany. But, is she a German citizen, a citizen of another EU member state or elsewhere?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Exactly. And "lives in" could be very different from being a (long term) permanent resident. In fact, an illegal alien can "live in" some country even though the person entered illegally and has no status to be there.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Exactly. And "lives in" could be very different from being a (long term) permanent resident. In fact, an illegal alien can "live in" some country even though the person entered illegally and has no status to be there.
As she has German ID to go across Schengen borders by land, she has ID to fly. SAS, Lufthansa and Norwegian will allow her to fly as she is legally entitled to do with a valid ticket to fly from Germany to Sweden.

Given she has valid German ID to cross borders by land, she isn’t an undocumented, irregular or illegal migrant in Germany.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:00 am

With online check-in, she will likely never show anyone any ID unless there are spot checks.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
With online check-in, she will likely never show anyone any ID unless there are spot checks.
For Germany-Stockholm flights there are almost never any ID checks conducted by governmental authorities. Some airlines may ask still, but even when the Swedish border control authorities are informed to receive a flight from Germany, it’s extremely rarely about checking everyone arriving (at say ARN from Germany) for passports/ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.