Wiki Posts
Search

Largest USB Power Bank Allowed on Copa Air

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Largest USB Power Bank Allowed on Copa Air

Hello,

I am flying out of the US on Copa this week and just received confirmation that there will not be power oulets or WiFi on my rather long flights. I want to ensure that my tablet stays powered and buy some larger USB power banks than the ones I currently travel with for my phone.

Can anyone help me to interpret Copa's lithium battery policy?

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/restricted-baggage

I understand the Watt-Hours rule, but then it also says that batteries must be less than 8 grams, which eliminates just about any USB power bank.

I called their customer service and all they could tell me was the 100 Watt-Hour rule.

Does anyone know how large of a pack (I'd ideally like to bring 2) that they would reasonably allow? I aim to drive to Best Buy or Target tonight to get them.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Has anyone ever questioned anyone's power bank? I regularly fly (US domestic) with a 30A/Hr Anker battery and they don't even bother to take it out of the laptop bag during security wipedowns.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Has anyone ever questioned anyone's power bank? I regularly fly (US domestic) with a 30A/Hr Anker battery and they don't even bother to take it out of the laptop bag during security wipedowns.
That's under the TSA/airline limits. Looking at thousands of bags per day, perhaps they have a good sense for what size would be a problem.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 25, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sanuliarem
I understand the Watt-Hours rule, but then it also says that batteries must be less than 8 grams, which eliminates just about any USB power bank.

I called their customer service and all they could tell me was the 100 Watt-Hour rule.

Does anyone know how large of a pack (I'd ideally like to bring 2) that they would reasonably allow? I aim to drive to Best Buy or Target tonight to get them.
The limit is 8 grams of Lithium content - the actual metal element. Don't bother with the chemical compounds, percentage calculations, etc. - the TSA limit is 100WH (unlimited) and 160WH (up to 2) in carry-on. (a translation of the 8g limit into a usable metric). I suspect Copa saying it must be "between" 100 and 160 is a poor translation of that rule (they're certainly not going to turn away a 90 WH/18K mAH device because it's not "between" 100 and 160)

For a standard 5V charger, 100/160WH is 20,000 and 32,00 mAH.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

This is very helpful. Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.