Wiki Posts
Search

Key-lock a suitcase internationally?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Key-lock a suitcase internationally?

Traveling DL DCA-JFK-CDG, then AF CDG-TLV. I have an old hard-sided Samsonite that has two keyed locks. I haven't needed to use it in years and don't know how current security measures would affect it. Should I lock the suitcase or leave it unlocked?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mglvrug
Traveling DL DCA-JFK-CDG, then AF CDG-TLV. I have an old hard-sided Samsonite that has two keyed locks. I haven't needed to use it in years and don't know how current security measures would affect it. Should I lock the suitcase or leave it unlocked?

Thanks!
Flew AF/DL DXB>CDG>ATL>SAT in December and we locked our four bags. Granted they were TSA-approved locks but there was no indication any of them had been tampered with or opened. Not sure about the pre-TSA old style key locks. Our old hardsides are long gone but I’d probably not use them for fear they’d be forced open with no easy way to be resecured.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If either TSA, French security and/or customs or Israeli services decide they want to open a locked bag they can break it without really any recourse.

Assuming the bag with locks are preTSA approved locks, which have universal keys for security services to use, locking them comes with a risk. You could get one of the bands with a built-in TSA approved lock that goes around your bag and then you leave your existing locks open.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: RFC
Don't use locks. Use zip ties, and keep a supply of spares in the bag itself. Secures the bag from random thieves, doesn't present any problem to security to open, and is cheaper than replacing locks on bags or bags themselves if the locks are integral. It's also very easy to see if the bag has been opened: count the zip ties left.
HMPS and Jeannietx like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Don't use locks. Use zip ties, and keep a supply of spares in the bag itself. Secures the bag from random thieves, doesn't present any problem to security to open, and is cheaper than replacing locks on bags or bags themselves if the locks are integral. It's also very easy to see if the bag has been opened: count the zip ties left.
The problem for the OP is the old style hardsides were latches so there no way to use zip ties or other locks. As mentioned here, or maybe another thread, the other option is to buy a locking strap that can be secured under the hand and around the bag.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, Randyk47, I followed Yoshi212's advice and got a band with a built-in TSA lock to go around the suitcase and I left the case itself unlocked. I'm glad to report it arrived intact (on a later flight than my other bags, but that wasn't an issue). Thanks for the help.
Yoshi212 and Randyk47 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Locking a bag will not deter thieves and may even flag it as a bag from which it is worth stealing. Thus, pointless for most travel.

Whether a lock is "TSA-approved" will make little difference as to whether TSA (or anyone else) cuts or pries the lock. It is often faster to cut or otherwise force it. For built in locks while traveling, you either spend time getting the thing fixed or buying a new case.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I also lock mine mostly so people don't put stuff in. I've nothing worth stealing. I carry all my valuables. I use mostly Rimowa suitcases and only once have I found evidence of prying. Someone tried to pry the locks open to no avail. Now zippers to worry about.

Anyways I have a little luggage tag with a throwaway contact email on there that says, if they want to open it, I'm available to open it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Locking a bag will not deter thieves and may even flag it as a bag from which it is worth stealing. Thus, pointless for most travel.

Whether a lock is "TSA-approved" will make little difference as to whether TSA (or anyone else) cuts or pries the lock. It is often faster to cut or otherwise force it. For built in locks while traveling, you either spend time getting the thing fixed or buying a new case.
I agree that a locked bag will not deter thieves. We lock ours more to keep them from accidentally coming open. Sure we could use zip ties but we have a dozen or more TSA locks we’ve accumulated over the years. We have rejected bags with built in locks for exactly as you wrote.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
DH uses the TSA approved locks, I use zip ties. Can't remember the last time bags were opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.